BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 10:46:11 PM EDT
I had some stuff done to my Alaskan

[
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Purdy. I would pack that everywhere. I'm cheap so I'll likely just have a SRH chopped to ~4.5". I'm on the prowl for an Alaskan now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It is sweet.  I am not sure why thar second pic is rotated.  Arrrg...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
There we go fixed the pic
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#4]
That is pretty, but can you show a before or after pic or what you've had done?  It looks slick
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow!  That's nice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is pretty, but can you show a before or after pic or what you've had done?  It looks slick
View Quote

The before would be a plain vanilla Alaskan. Bowen removes the barrel, mills off the extended frame to match a standard Redhawk and then threads on a Redhawk barrel. It looks like he chose Bowen's DX Style front sight base and Rough Country rear. All the other action work is inside.  

Honestly, Ruger needs to offer the SRH grip frame with standard front end as a factory option. It is the best of both worlds for most of us. I would buy 2 tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Very tastefully done. That will last you for a lifetime. Nice!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
How much?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How much?
View Quote

Well if you thought that Compact grip I sold you was pricey.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much?

Yes and no.... so....

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes and no.... so....

http://i.imgur.com/XxIIMK3.gif?gifm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much?

Yes and no.... so....

The work starts at $850 with no options according to Bowen's website. Add in the cost of an Alaskan, donor Redhawk to steal barrel from, any sight options and shipping.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I found the Bowen web site a few years ago I was thinking that is not a bad price for a custom wheel gun. Then I realized I had to provide the gun for the work.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine  cost more It cost me $1280 with shipping and all.  The sights I chose were included.   Other sight options were more.  

That included frame modification,  barrel fitting, action job, delettering barrel and frame, parts (like the longer firing pin), test firing and sight regulation. I paid extra though as the only barrels I could find were 7.5" and it added quite a bit to shorten the barrel and prepare it for the front sight ($295 more)

He said I could omit test firing/sight regulation for $75.

I paid $100 for the barrel on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice. I regularly drool over their website.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:03:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The work starts at $850 with no options according to Bowen's website. Add in the cost of an Alaskan, donor Redhawk to steal barrel from, any sight options and shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much?

Yes and no.... so....

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#17]

How much time did it take ?

I've been waiting months on getting my 686-4 customized and it's driving me nuts

( different gunsmith)

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much?

Yes and no.... so....

http://i.imgur.com/oSycSej.gif

LOL it was pricey but that does include the sights you see in my pics at least......
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh, I'm not complaining... just something out of my current fun money budget. Which right now is hovering somewhere around $0 and $.05.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I shot it more today.  The double action is amazing.  I was hitting 6" round plates at 25 yds consistently with double action.  That is not typical for me.  I hit them every time in single action but I am not real proficient in double
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:17:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/9dd90d8e-52f8-42af-b397-7786797b2b26_zpse8eac2e4.jpg

I've been waiting months on getting my 686-4 customized and it's driving me nuts

( different gunsmith)

View Quote
I'm also interested in knowing the turn around time.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Seriously love that GP44. The lines are simply amazing. If I had the scratch I would have one done in a minute.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/9dd90d8e-52f8-42af-b397-7786797b2b26_zpse8eac2e4.jpg

( different gunsmith)

I thought it would take a year or two.  It actually took about 3 months.  He said it was done much faster since I didn't want a caliber change like making it .500 linebaugh.  In that case it would have taken a year or longer.  

I asked him tons of questions before sending it in in multiple email replies.  He was prompt and courteous responding.  I thought maybe it was fast cause he thought I'd pester him.  I didn't email him though at all after letting him know it was in route to him.  I was really shocked when he said it was almost ready.  I didn't even plan to have all the funds together that fast so I paid with my credit card that has no interest for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top