Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 12:04:41 PM EDT
I turn 21 soon and am considering the Jericho 941 as my first handgun.

How do you guys feel about this handgun? Reliability, durability, accuraccy, weight, and kill power are my primary concerns. Information from personal experience would be preferred, but I'm interested in any tidbits of information you guys may be able to toss my way.

I'll probably be going with a full size self loading pistol. I'm going for .40S&W or 9mm for my first pistol, but am having a hard time deciding between the two. Concealed carry is not legal here in Wisconsin so concealability is not a large concern here.

Other guns I'm considering/comparing the Baby Eagle to:
Glock series
Springfield XD series
CZxx series
Sig P2xx series
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The Jerico 941 is Spike Speigal approved

Seriously, it's a great first choice, definatly a high quality gun.
Get a 9mm as it is far cheaper to practice with and the stopping power is only slightly less than the 40.

Edit pic host
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The Baby Eagle is a good gun. Built like a tank and abit heavy. If I may make a suggestion.... I've been shooting for over four decades and if you are considering a CZ 75B , I'd go with that . It is one of the best handguns out there for any price. You will find it a little lighter and just as durable and very accurate. CZ grips and mags. are readily available everywhere. Just my .02. I hope you will consider this as an option.  
I would also get the 9mm  as a first gun.

Edited to add....The more I look at the list you have as options....They are all great guns.  Try them all and pick the one that feels best in your hand.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#3]
In my experience, having owned all, the Baby Eagle is a notch below the others in quality and customer service.  A hell of a lot harder to find mags, holsters, and sights for too.   Felt pretty good in the hand, though.  Keep in mind that the Baby Eagle also has a polygonal rifled barrel, so shooting lead through it is not an option.

Mine was accurate enough, though nothing special.  It was reliable for me but others had malfunctions from what I assume was limpwristing.   One more thing that really got on my nerves was the location of the safety lever.  It really got in the way of any rapid, positive slide manipulation.  

In all, it wasn't a bad gun but there are much better choices out there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
the 941 does NOT have a polygonally rifled barrel anymore.  they stopped doing this about a year ago and maybe a little more.  i have a cz75 compact and i love it.  as the 941 is essentially a copy of the cz75.  it is an excellent pistol and built like a tank.  9mm is probably the better choice as it is cheaper and a bit easier to shoot.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Sig P226 in 9mm, only draw back is factory german mags for about 45 bucks a piece.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my Jericho 941FB. Machining inside the slide is really rough in some places. None of it effects fit though and since its internal you can't see it without the weapon apart.

The only gripe I have is that some retard decided to not make the outer diameter of the barrel smooth. It basically looks like a very dull file (little ridges running around the diameter of it). This has caused the front of the slide to open up slightly, loosening barrel fit, after 1500 rounds. This is a polygonal barrel, so this might have been someones mistake but I don't remember seeing other barrels with this. I've also never seen another manufacturer do something so retarded.

Other then that, the ergonomics of the weapon are phenominal and the trigger is crisp. I count it as my favorite 9mm to shoot. Recoil is tamer then my other 9mm's and it is (still after the barrel crap) more accurate then I am.

And it's two tone. (excuse the shitty camera)
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:59:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sig P226 in 9mm, only draw back is factory german mags for about 45 bucks a piece.

Sig 'factory' mags are just retagged Mec-Gars, which you can get for around $22. Plus you can get the mags with the new followers, which get you 17, instead of 15 rounds.

But ya, Sig P226.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Of what you have listed I would get either the BE or the CZ75. They balance well, and shoot even better. I already have one BE 9mm and used to have Glocks. I never could shoot the Glocks well and the Sigs and XDs feel too top heavy for me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I turn 21 soon and am considering the Jericho 941 as my first handgun.

How do you guys feel about this handgun? Reliability, durability, accuraccy, weight, and kill power are my primary concerns. Information from personal experience would be preferred, but I'm interested in any tidbits of information you guys may be able to toss my way.

I'll probably be going with a full size self loading pistol. I'm going for .40S&W or 9mm for my first pistol, but am having a hard time deciding between the two. Concealed carry is not legal here in Wisconsin so concealability is not a large concern here.

Other guns I'm considering/comparing the Baby Eagle to:
Glock series
Springfield XD series
CZxx series
Sig P2xx series

Trooper,
The BE, CZ and the XD's are very good choices. I can't say anything for the SIG and Glocks because I do not own any of them. Most everyone I shoot with have them and swear by them, though. I did not buy my BE or XD for looks, I bought 'em for durability and reliability, so far so good.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
TrooperCody:  My first handgun was a Baby Eagle full size, steel frame 9mm that I had bought the day after my 21st birthday.  I too had a lot of options at the time but I wanted to be different (not always a good thing considering parts)   It's been a great gun and very reliable with factory mags.  Accuracy is as good as you could want it to be for a non-target gun...it's combat accurate.  Weight?  It;s a heavy mo-fo, quite a bit heavier than other guns on your list but it feels very solid.

Although I like it quite a bit its in tough competition with the other guns on your list.  The CZ will feel similar to the BE, but the CZ has more aftermarket options.  The Glock (especially the G19) is "THE" Glock to have IMHO.  Nice, lightweight, Glock reliability, and good cheap hi cap mags.  Never shot the XD, cant comment.  The Sig's are great guns also, a P226, 228, 229, or 225 will serve you well also.
My Baby Eagle 9mm:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top