Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2011 10:30:55 AM EDT
Can you carry a compact 9mm upside down in S.O.B.? If so which holster would work for this? Saw it in blood diamond and I'd like to try it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes it's true but law requires you have a lighting and camera crew present at any self defense shooting.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure someone makes an SOB holster that carries it completely upsided down with the barrel parallel to the belt line, however, I can think of a couple of reasons I wouldn't want that.

1)  Even though guns don't simply go off by themselves, I don't like the idea of my barrel sweeping everything I walk by.  And reholstering without be able to see what you're doing could make an AD/ND ugly.

2)  Unless the holster has excellent retention, I'd be concerned about the possibility of the firearm falling out.

With that said, I own 2 excellent SOB holster.  One made by Galco and the other by Desantis.  I recommend either of them for anyone that wants to carry SOB.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't carry yet but I was contemplating options...I def want S.O.B. but I'll mark Blood Diamond Style off my list...Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can't carry yet but I was contemplating options...I def want S.O.B. but I'll mark Blood Diamond Style off my list...Thanks

And you definitely want to carry Small of the Back ... why ?  
No flame.  Just wondering how "definite" you really are and whether you can articulate/justify the pros & cons of a single method you have never utilized.  

Stay safe
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I usually carry right around 4:30-5:00 with a CrossBreed Quick-Clip (IWB).

My G29 is fairly thick, so moving it back behind my hip and having a high cant helps with concealment and comfort (I'm 6'3", 190lb)

If I've got a heavy coat but I'll still be active with it unzipped, sometimes I'll carry SOB with the G29 or 1911, but with a good holster that's about 30deg from horizontal.

Works for me, might not work for everybody...

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#6]
i'm 6'2" 155 and I'm too skinny to wear IWB strongside because the gun sticks out like a tumor.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i'm 6'2" 155 and I'm too skinny to wear IWB strongside because the gun sticks out like a tumor.

You are plenty big to conceal strong side IWB with proper gear if you so choose.  I have a friend that is skinnier than you that carries and xd strong side OWB.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are plenty big to conceal strong side IWB with proper gear if you so choose.  I have a friend that is skinnier than you that carries and xd strong side OWB.

It really depends on body shape however. Im 5'1"/145 and regardless of my short stature ive got broad shoulders and the \  / upper body which allows perfect carrying at 3:00.
I could deffinately see how someone who is probably straight as a board all the way down might have a problem. Dr Pain has a foot and an inch on me but only +10lbs.
If he does not have broad shoulders he could probably carry at 3, but he'd have to be sporting a man-tent to do so.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just have to try different holster and clothing combinations.  Upside down small of back carry is neither a safe nor reliable nor realistic solution to your perceived issue.  If you can't find any alternative, consider 2 o' clock or appendix carry.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]
i agree with the other options crowd. i am not flaming SOB but i do not like the idea of the barrel grazing my hip/waist/thigh as i am drawing in a high stress situation. that would really suck to take yourself out while the bad guy goes about his business! just saying as you get comfortable there may be better options. oh and believe me when i say you notice that you have a gun more than others do. you wouldnt believe how many folks think its a phone or...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
falling on it would be really painful

I try not to carry anything SOB
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just have to try different holster and clothing combinations.  Upside down small of back carry is neither a safe nor reliable nor realistic solution to your perceived issue.  If you can't find any alternative, consider 2 o' clock or appendix carry.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]
SOB is fine when your walking or standing, sitting down or driving,,,,,,, not comfortable at all. maybe it dont bother some, but was not comfy for me.   maybe if its a itty bitty gun, it might not be too bad.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top