BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.45 ACP is going to follow .40 S&W into irrelevance, and isn't too far behind it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
.45 ACP is going to follow .40 S&W into irrelevance, and isn't too far behind it.
View Quote

Low quality bait
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

This isn't GD.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:  LOL! For the recoil-stymied, maybe.

For those who actually invest the time to train up to it, the real 10mm can be shot as fast and as accurately as a 40 or  45.

The key question is, which platform works best for the shooter? 1911, Glock, etc?
View Quote

Uh, no.  The lower the recoil, the faster the caliber can be shot, ceteris paribus.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a big fan of the .45 and shot it out of my G21 for years while shooting bowling pin matches. The .45 and G21 are probably my favorite gun/ammo combo.

But, for self defense I carry a 9mm. Put me in the category that recognizes that the .45 and 9mm aren't necessarily equal, but the benefits of the 9mm make it a better self defense round. I do carry a M&P .40 from time to time, but that's because I like the platform more than anything (although I do love .40 as well ).
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Meh, I think they all have merit. I currently like to carry my .45 govt. next purchase is likely a g17. Before the 1911 I carried a xdm .40…they all spoke to me at the time. All felt adequate. I like .45 just because.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you want to carry 45ACP?   Carry what you want.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont own one and dont hear much about it these days, but I would think the .357 Sig would be about as good and effective as you can get....IMO....
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Best full size common caliber is 10mm, best compact common is 357 sig if someone else is buying.
View Quote

Both are niche calibers only good for unique applications.  That’s why they are all but dead!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Someone who can accurately place one 9mm round exactly where they want in 1.25 seconds will beat a 44 magnum fired in 1.0 second that misses it's intended target.  Speed, power, accuracy.
View Quote

No miss with .44 magnum and you be fine.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
of course it is.... just as long as you are ignoring .40 S&W and .375 Sig
View Quote

Yes, everyone ignores those.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

1983 was the year the10mm AUTO was introduced.
View Quote

1983 RIP 10 mm
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 10mm is a waste of time.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The 10 mm is going to follow .40 S&W into irrelevance, and isn't too far behind it.
View Quote

FIFY  
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
of course it is.... just as long as you are ignoring .40 S&W and .375 Sig

Yes, everyone ignores those.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

You must be one of those Tupperware Glock guys....
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Both are niche calibers only good for unique applications.  That’s why they are all but dead!
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/5ddc336bfd9db244c913783d-460.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best full size common caliber is 10mm, best compact common is 357 sig if someone else is buying.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/5ddc336bfd9db244c913783d-460.gif

LOL!    You soooo funnie!

Ah yeah, ... nooope, nada, and no.

The 10mm currently outsells the virtually dead .357Siglet  and the dying-fast .40S&W.   Not to mention more guns are being made in 10mm right now than at any time in the cartridge’s history, which is not happening with either the .357 or the .40.  

And while neither have quite reached the .45GAP’s status (i.e., ready for an autopsy), they’re in the hearse and the engine’s running.

Right now, only the .45acp outpaces the 10mm  - statistically  - in platforms that chamber it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The 10mm currently outsells the virtually dead .357Siglet  and the dying-fast .40S&W.   Not to mention more guns are being made in 10mm right now than at any time in the cartridge’s history, which is not happening with either the .357 or the .40.  

And while neither have quite reached the .45GAP’s status (i.e., ready for an autopsy), they’re in the hearse and the engine’s running.

Right now, only the .45acp outpaces the 10mm  - statistically  - in platforms that chamber it.
View Quote

10mm has definitely had a resurgence over the past couple of years. I actually have a few hundred rounds of ammo but no gun to shoot it in yet, because I can't find any 10mm's I want in stock.

Anybody saying 10mm is dead hasn't been paying attention.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

10mm has definitely had a resurgence over the past couple of years. I actually have a few hundred rounds of ammo but no gun to shoot it in yet, because I can't find any 10mm's I want in stock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or they’re an escaped Troll from GD.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#19]
There's more urban legend surrounding the 10mm than even the mighty 45 ACP.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:You soooo funnie!   Ah yeah, ... nooope, nada, and no.  The 10mm currently outsells the virtually dead .357Siglet  and the dying-fast .40S&W.   Not to mention more guns are being made in 10mm right now than at any time in the cartridge’s history, which is not happening with either the .357 or the .40.  And while neither have quite reached the .45GAP’s status (i.e., ready for an autopsy), they’re in the hearse and the engine’s running.  Right now, only the .45acp outpaces the 10mm  - statistically  - in platforms that chamber it.
View Quote

But what about the .375 Sig?

And the 30 Super Duper Carry is going to out do them all!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Our dept is fazing out the .40 glocks for 9mm when we get to the bottom of our pallet of ammo. Looks like another cheap glock 22 that I can switch out the barrel for 9mm and through in the safe. There is a dept in our county that uses glock 21s and I go to their range to snag up the brass once in a while.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd just like to postulate that the 9mm argument generally ignores one of the most obvious parts of any decision: money /cost

9mm is cheap and therefore most everyone and every group gets down to cost when making these budget decisions.

300 AAC vs  5.56? Cost....

AK vs AR? (Up until this Ukraine fiasco and Russian import ammo ban, 7.62 x 39 was absurdly cheap)

9mm vs pretty much every pistol caliber? Cheap ammo.

I find this is rarely about performance, it's about money. Le budgets are shrinking so 9mm makes sense. I don't know that it has anything to do with performance when you strip away the emotional component
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#23]
In the hands of the untrained,,, The 5.7mm was responsible for the deadliest mass shooting in US Army installations..   He didn't practice with his sidearm, yet every one who was hit center mass with the 5.7 was dropped where they were shot.  Everyone who was hit in side areas lived...  
And I don't recall any mass shooters who used a 45ACP.... Maybe they know something?

Velocity plays a big part as well as bullet technology...   Those who got hit in the torso did not live to make it to the hospital.  I think only one or two made it to the hospital but died later.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd just like to postulate that the 9mm argument generally ignores one of the most obvious parts of any decision: money /cost

9mm is cheap and therefore most everyone and every group gets down to cost when making these budget decisions.

300 AAC vs  5.56? Cost....

AK vs AR? (Up until this Ukraine fiasco and Russian import ammo ban, 7.62 x 39 was absurdly cheap)

9mm vs pretty much every pistol caliber? Cheap ammo.

I find this is rarely about performance, it's about money. Le budgets are shrinking so 9mm makes sense. I don't know that it has anything to do with performance when you strip away the emotional component
View Quote

It's always about money.

Based on everything I have seen posted across the internet in concerns to the caliber wars, it's also has to do a small part with those not wanting to be an adult and admit that they're recoil sensitive. Those who whine about 45 ACP also think the G43 is snappy

I do understand the capacity argument for SHTF or if one's job requires a gun to be carried. But not for EDC unless it's about bad backs then I get the lighter weight argument.

I am very fortunate to live with 1st world problems that I have the freedom to choose either or. Choosing one over the other is a personal decision, not a "i cHoSe 9 sO 45 lOsT aNd iS fOr bOoMeRs" decision. I use either or depending on the circumstances. And rarely a 380

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's always about money.

Based on everything I have seen posted across the internet in concerns to the caliber wars, it's also has to do a small part with those not wanting to be an adult and admit that they're recoil sensitive. Those who whine about 45 ACP also think the G43 is snappy

I do understand the capacity argument for SHTF or if one's job requires a gun to be carried. But not for EDC unless it's about bad backs then I get the lighter weight argument.

I am very fortunate to live with 1st world problems that I have the freedom to choose either or. Choosing one over the other is a personal decision, not a "i cHoSe 9 sO 45 lOsT aNd iS fOr bOoMeRs" decision. I use either or depending on the circumstances. And rarely a 380

View Quote

I feel like we would get along...
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:You soooo funnie!   Ah yeah, ... nooope, nada, and no.  The 10mm currently outsells the virtually dead .357Siglet  and the dying-fast .40S&W.   Not to mention more guns are being made in 10mm right now than at any time in the cartridge’s history, which is not happening with either the .357 or the .40.  And while neither have quite reached the .45GAP’s status (i.e., ready for an autopsy), they’re in the hearse and the engine’s running.  Right now, only the .45acp outpaces the 10mm  - statistically  - in platforms that chamber it.

The ... wut? ...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#27]
First few rounds of the magazine and therefore the gunfight are the most important.  Real people don't stand there to take up several follow up rounds like a paper target.

great diameter and power will always be a better stopper, is it worth the trade offs is the question.

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#28]
7.5 BRNO is best handgun round.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"Then I told myself, ‘Hey, I need to slow down and aim better.’”

When the suspect bent down to peer under the car, Gramins carefully established a sight picture and squeezed off three controlled bursts in rapid succession.

Each round slammed into the suspect’s head – one through each side of his mouth and one through the top of his skull into his brain. At long last, the would-be cop-killer crumpled to the pavement."

Hmm, no shit. Slow down and aiming works.

I had the same epiphany once with my SAW.
View Quote

Totally agree here. The bullet that hits the right place is the one that is going to get the job done. Sure, you hedge your bets with best performing hollow point, or optimal penetration etc etc but in the end hitting the right part of the body to shut it down is what does it. Literally 5 pounds of muzzle energy hitting the right part of the body will produce an instant death or incapacitation. Trouble is some of these spots are deep inside the body relatively small and as a bullet penetrates you really have no idea where it will end up. Gel and lab testing implies a certain level of performance but every shooting of a biological being is a case unto itself.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Any question or request asking for an answer as to what is the "BEST" of most anything is a failure right out of the gate.

There is no scale which can be agreed upon to measure the BEST caliber for self defense anymore than there can be a measurement for the BEST handgun. All there can be is individual opinions, which is what this thread provides and nothing more.  It is an unwinnable argument as to whether you come down on the side of Yes it is or No it isn't.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top