Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]

I love deliveries! Got the Bar-Sto barrel and Springer comp in for the EVO320. Since it uses a standard Compact slide as opposed to an X-Carry slide with tighter tolerances, no fitting was needed and it dropped right into place.

I did end up going with Springer’s larger three-port compensator as opposed to the “Shorty” comp that’s on the RS320s (Because Fuck Recoil). They say it requires +P or Major PF ammunition to function reliably, but since all I ever shoot is +P/NATO loads I figured I’d be good to go.

The loctite will be left to dry for the next 24 hours and then it should be good to go - No more spontaneous disassembles in the future
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Problem solved, problem staying solved
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm excited.  Still waiting on my red dot to get delivered to finish my project.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]

I’ve reached that point in the build process where it’s time to start accounting for how I’m actually going to carry this monstrosity.

Oh yeah, I meant it when I said I intended this to be my new EDC gun. Phlster’s the one to make that happen...
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
After quite a bit of consideration, I believe I’ve arrived at the decision to begin the process of converting the pair of RS320s over to the EVO320 spec. I much prefer the frame-mounted RDS setup as well as the heavier metal grip module and it would be helpful to get a jump-start on the funds to both finish building the first EVO320 and begin acquiring components for a duplicate backup gun. Thanks to the nature of the platform, I can keep the FCUs from the RS320s and sell the complete upper and lower assemblies as a kind of RS320 X-Change kit - Buyers will just have to add their FCU and go

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]
On second thought I think I’ll just upgrade the RS320s and give them each an Icarus Precision Tactical Carry aluminum grip with Springer magwells, but otherwise keep them as they are. I’m a bit indecisive sometimes...
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m also fairly certain the EVO320 will get the X-Carry IP swapped out for a Tactical Carry IP grip module at some point in the future. The X-Carry grip is great and it was what was available at the time, but I know from experience with RS320A I significantly prefer the ergonomics of the standard P320 grip modules over the X-Series grips, and the Tactical Carry IP grip has ergonomics more like the standard P320 grip modules. With that in mind I likely won’t spend the time or money having my gunsmith graft the 2011 magwell to the X-Carry grip module and save that money to go towards the future Tactical Carry grip module with Springer magwell
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If anyone has a line on anywhere that might have some 9mm NATO ammo in stock and would be so nice as to pass a note, I could use some to start trials on the EVO320 with the new barrel/comp/recoil assembly...
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I will keep my eyes open I cruise the web for ammo just about every day.

Always look forward to your updates
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will keep my eyes open I cruise the web for ammo just about every day.

Always look forward to your updates
View Quote

Much appreciated!

In the short term my brother has a few boxes to spare and he owes me more than a couple hundred rounds. Should be going to the range this Friday to put some rounds through the EVO320 and the new setup
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Got the Floodlight in. As expected the RS320 fit with no issue in stock form - The EVO320...Not so much.

But that was also as expected. I removed the elastic strap to get a rough idea of where the cut lines need to be and it appears it’ll be fairly straightforward. Once clearance for the optic mount is made, I can reconnect the slide side of the holster using the mix of spare hardware I’ve collected.

This just might work after all...
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Viewers who are prone to queasiness or those with weak dispositions may want to look away...Now:

Initial rough cuts to accommodate the optic mount are done (emphasis on rough). I’ll be going over the holster over the next couple days with a file and sandpaper to smooth out the rough edges and sharp corners.

But as of today, I have an AIWB holster that holds and retains the EVO320. I may find something a bit more robust than the paracord to join the muzzle end of the holster - I’m thinking a small zip tie would do well for this role - but at this point it’s just smoothing out the details

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 3:46:42 AM EDT
[#14]
You being wrong handed , have you thought about a gas peddle to work on the left side? I've got a 3D printer coming soon, this is one of the things I've been thinking about. I'm a righty but the challenge interests me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDz3S3npt3u/?igshid=6zvcu1ytpu6j

...I’m honestly a little shocked
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dang that's alot of package to hide

Quoted:
You being wrong handed , have you thought about a gas peddle to work on the left side? I've got a 3D printer coming soon, this is one of the things I've been thinking about. I'm a righty but the challenge interests me.

Recently I have been intrigued by the gas pedal thing. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

When I think of one for a left handed shooter my first thoughts are to drill and thread the right side of the takedown lever. Machine a slot in it so a 3D printed part can be bolted to it and it wouldnt rotate unless the takedown lever was intentionally rotated.

Just an idea of course I have no experience with 3D printing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Recently I have been intrigued by the gas pedal thing. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

When I think of one for a left handed shooter my first thoughts are to drill and thread the right side of the takedown lever. Machine a slot in it so a 3D printed part can be bolted to it and it wouldnt rotate unless the takedown lever was intentionally rotated.

Just an idea of course I have no experience with 3D printing.
View Quote

That was pretty much the approach I was going to take.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That was pretty much the approach I was going to take.
View Quote

Any plans to make other parts? Just out of curiosity.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She’s a hefty bitch but I like ‘em chunky No actually in the short amount of time I tried carrying the gun around at home last night it was honestly surprisingly comfortable - more manageable even than the RS320 with a spare mag in the T1C Axis sidecar holster. Doesn’t get in my way for moving around, sitting, or bending over.

Quoted:

I have actually thought a bit about how one would go about making a gas pedal for southpaws, and with the Icarus Precision grip module it wouldn’t be any more challenging than drilling and tapping the right side of the dustcover and bolting one on in a mirror image to the optic mount on the left side of the grip, as some lefties do with their 2011 competition blasters. For a standard grip module, probably drilling and tapping the right side of the takedown lever would locate it in about the same spot as the Go Guns thumb rest for righties. That said a thumb rest is not in my plans for this pistol, as it would add additional bulk to the pistol which would make it more difficult to carry concealed (and give me even more headache with finding a compatible holster).

A member on another forum pointed out that the soft loops are printing a bit and recommended swapping them for some Discreet Carry Concepts clips. I was thinking about that myself, but my current plan is to try the soft loops for a bit and then consider changing them.

One issue I’m already seeing is going to be re-holstering without removing the holster from my pants. Since I removed a significant amount of structural support to make clearance for the optic mount, the slide side of the holster collapses a bit under the pressure of my belt when the gun is drawn and it causes the muzzle to get caught up on attempting to re-holster it (all manipulations have been done with an empty gun for the time being for safety). The holster still grabs and holds the X300U more than well enough to retain the gun for carrying though.

I love it when a plan comes together
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I went in a slightly different direction than OP but I think its in the spirit of this thread enough to post.

Attachment Attached File

It has a Grey Ghost Precision compact slide paired with a Parker Mountain Machine Ultra JTTC compensator and barrel, an Apex trigger and trigger bar under a Wilson Combat grip module, Dawson sights and a Leupold DPP, and TTI +5 base pads.

I put Armory Craft tungsten weights in the grip and replaced the CR123s in the surefire with tungsten weights for more front ballast.  The gun is a bit front heavy empty and balances nicely fully loaded.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I went in a slightly different direction than OP but I think its in the spirit of this thread enough to post.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/276110/20200818_112333__2__jpg-1551843.JPG

It has a Grey Ghost Precision compact slide paired with a Parker Mountain Machine Ultra JTTC compensator and barrel, an Apex trigger and trigger bar under a Wilson Combat grip module, Dawson sights and a Leupold DPP, and TTI +5 base pads.

I put Armory Craft tungsten weights in the grip and replaced the CR123s in the surefire with tungsten weights for more front ballast.  The gun is a bit front heavy empty and balances nicely fully loaded.
View Quote

That camo pattern is so wrong but still so right Very nice build!
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEF2Y6TpLX7/?igshid=7uwphzue8vdy

The best part of filming your practice sessions is getting to go back and watch all your glorious fuck-ups in excruciating frame-by-frame detail. I see a few points that need to be smoothed out here, but I think that’s mostly due to not being fully familiar and comfortable with the new pistol/holster combination yet. Time for more reps!
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#23]

...Nobody tell my bank account...(Please)
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 2:54:02 AM EDT
[#24]
The current plan is to put the inbound IP Tactical Carry module on RS320A once I get it to see how it handles. Assuming there’s nothing that makes me want to get rid of it (highly unlikely), I’ll then send it out to Springer Precision for fitting and installation of their ESP magwell, like the current polymer Compact modules utilize - I already confirmed with Springer’s head gunsmith that they can install their magwells on the Icarus grip modules the same as the factory polymer units. RS320B will follow suit with the same heavy metal upgrade (in ODG of course), and at some point in the future I’ll swap out the current X-Carry module on the EVO320 for the Tactical Carry+ESP magwell setup (which will be a bit more in-depth since it’ll involve drilling and tapping for the optic mount). That’ll give me ergonomic consistency across all of the platforms.

I’ll also need to convert my four 15-round Compact mags with +2 basepads to 17-round Fullsize mags with the +2 basepads, as the Tactical Carry grip modules won’t accept the Compact magazines. That’s just a matter of buying four more 17-round magazines and swapping the factory plastic basepads for the +2 extensions I already own though. The ESP magwells and +2 extension combination gives me a nearly flush-fit that leads to less printing and easier concealment, even with the slightly longer Fullsize grip length of the Tactical Carry grip module. That will leave me with mag options with 19, 23, and 27-round capacities, all of which will be compatible with all three guns.

I also finally have some 9mm NATO FMJ, just need to carve out the time to go to the range and test out the new barrel/comp/DPM recoil system in the EVO320. That should happen at some point this week.

I have all my next steps roadmapped, now it’s just a matter of money, effort, and time spent waiting on parts shipping and gunsmithing...The waiting is the worst part
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#25]

You know that feeling you sometimes get, where you know you’re about to sneeze but it takes forever to actually happen? This is worse
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Initial impression: Sweet baby Jesus, I’ve found my standard grip module Further/more coherent thoughts after I fondle this a bit more...
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow it looks great
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Alright, now that I’ve had a bit more time to handle the new grip module I’ve got some more thoughts.

For the purposes of this discussion the main focus will be on the actual grip and beavertail portions of the module, as from the trigger guard forward they’re functionally identical.

The first thing I noticed is that the grip texture on the new Tactical Carry module is VASTLY improved over the (non)texture of the X-Carry version. It’s grippier in my hand that even the OEM polymer grip, even without a magwell.

Safe to say that for my hands at least, IP nailed the ergonomics. In that vein, the thinner beavertail of the Tactical Carry module is much better than the X-Carry as well.

It’s narrow, fits the hand more naturally, and most importantly there’s no sharp ledge that digs into my thumb when I grip the gun. This is similar to my experiments and preferences between the OEM polymer standard and X-Series modules. I should mention that Fullsize magazines with TTI extensions do not currently fit the Tactical Carry module due to the shape of the bottom of the grip, which is similar to the OEM polymer modules.

Once I send it to Springer Precision for their ESP magwell though, that won’t be a problem. And the additional grip security afforded by the magwell in combination with the excellent grip texture will make sure these guns stick to my hands like glue

Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

It feels even better than it looks I can’t wait to see how locked-in my grip will be once I add a magwell to the new module
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#30]
While I realize looks are not everything, this new module looks way better. The old grip looks like they were trying to hard to be new and different and in the process totally missed the mark. Pistols are personal and because of this they do have to offer some style to fit the end user IMO.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/276110/20200818_112333__2__jpg-1551843.JPG

View Quote

I wondered why someone would buy those blue TTI extensions. Now I know.

This works in a 1989 kind of way.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
While I realize looks are not everything, this new module looks way better. The old grip looks like they were trying to hard to be new and different and in the process totally missed the mark. Pistols are personal and because of this they do have to offer some style to fit the end user IMO.
View Quote

Absolutely agreed. Furthermore, everything that makes the module subjectively better aesthetically is due to all of the changes that make it better functionally, in my opinion. Better grip texture, thinner beavertail, better magwell flare, etc.

I’m honestly extremely excited to get this sent out to Springer for their magwell treatment. The additional grip security it will provide along with the easier mag changes will make the Icarus Tactical Carry grip module the best feeling and fitting module that I’ve put my hands on yet
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Based on their web store and Instagram posts, it appears Icarus is phasing out the original X-Carry module and all of the P320 modules they’re offering going forward favor the thinner, better grip texture Tactical Carry style - Which in my opinion is a good move. Their newly released competition module looks like it has an even more aggressive grip texture that extends 360 degrees around the grip as well as down the integrated magwell:

https://www.icarusprecision.com/product-page/a-c-e-320-pro-competition
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Based on their web store and Instagram posts, it appears Icarus is phasing out the original X-Carry module and all of the P320 modules they’re offering going forward favor the thinner, better grip texture Tactical Carry style - Which in my opinion is a good move. Their newly released competition module looks like it has an even more aggressive grip texture that extends 360 degrees around the grip as well as down the integrated magwell:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/185695_873ced7528ef4bbfbdd6b39d479ef9ba~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_640,h_640,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/185695_873ced7528ef4bbfbdd6b39d479ef9ba~mv2.jpg

https://www.icarusprecision.com/product-page/a-c-e-320-pro-competition
View Quote

I wish the texture went all the way up the grip. I like being able to dig my thumb into that area, this is why the RTF2 texture on the Glock is my favorite texture ever. For some reason though on the P320 everyone has decided to keep that area smooth.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Holy hell...

This looks incredible. Makes me think of an STI 2011

Only thing I would change is what Charlie_Foxtrot said. Bring that texture all the way up

A more aggressive mag release button and an Armory Craft takedown lever would be P320 perfection in my book.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey, my Cerakote work made it to ARFCOM!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#37]

I just can’t get over how good the RS320 feels with the Tactical Carry grip module. Here’s my revised list of steps for finishing out the current projects, in order:

1. Acquire two more Icarus TC grip modules (ODG for RS320B, Sniper Gray for EVO320)
2. Send all three TC grip modules to Springer for fitting and installation of ESP magwells
3. With the RS320s completed once I get their magwell modules back from Springer, take the third module to my gunsmith for drilling/tapping of the dustcover, re-installation of the optic mount, and installation of the Apex trigger kit
4. All current projects complete, acquire another FCU and move on to whatever ridiculous idea I come up with next...
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I like the plan
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#39]

...and YOU get a metal grip module, and YOU get a metal grip module - EVERYBODY GETS A METAL GRIP MODUUUUULE!
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Their new design looks so much better.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#43]
This is gunna be good.

I am in love with their Ace Pro Competition but I cant talk myself into buying one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:17:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Their new design looks so much better.
View Quote

Agreed, the ergonomics are much better in the hand as well. The new design is what I and others were pushing them to make first instead of the original X-Carry version. You can lead a horse to water...
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Some days one delivery makes up for all the junk mail that gets jammed into the box every year.

Black, ODG, and Sniper Gray all accounted for. I was a bit worried the ODG would be too vibrant for my tastes but it matches the OEM ODG polymer grip module very well.

Next step is to send these off to Springer Precision to get magwell’d up. But first I’m gonna fondle them a bit more...

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Feel the reloads, feel the grind - Get on up, it’s magwell time!
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Grip modules are in the mail. Starting the countdown to when I get back my Icarus-Springer Precisions (Precision Squared?) perfected grips!
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Range time with the EVO320 coming up tomorrow with my brother. It’ll be the first time testing the Springer Open comp and the DPM recoil system together - Video, pics, and report to follow!
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Just got back from the range and I’m extremely pleased to report...Well:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGLn9uDppDR/?igshid=1fiqn2jou72bd

This comp and spring make the gun shoot so flat and soft with 9mm NATO it approaches dedicated USPSA Open gun territory, and it ran 100% reliably with no malfunctions to speak of.

I’m incredibly pleased with the performance of the top end, and now I’m even more excited to get the Icarus TC grip module back and get it all transferred over to that for the superior ergonomics
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#50]

It was getting to be about time to replace the recoil spring on the RS320A, and while I was replacing parts I decided to opt for an upgrade. I liked the feeling and function of the DPM spring system in the EVO320 so much I bought one for each of the RS320s. Optics Planet shipped the one they had in stock, the second one for RS320B should be here in about a week.

A build is never truly finished...
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top