Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/24/2004 9:19:25 AM EDT
Can someone give me some owner feedback on this pistol.  Reliability, accuracy, recommended loads, aftermarket sights, mags whatever you can throw at me!  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
father in law has the pt92 stainless with the adjustable sights

great gun, but do not get the adjustable sights, they are made cheaply and break off

parts are on backorder because of the fact that they break

the std sight models are great

5000 rds, no trouble other than the sights

accurate

i use win valupack ffrom wally world, he carries win silvertips for defense
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
PT92 was my first 9mm.  I ran 6000 rounds through it before I had a malfunction.  I bought plenty of extra mags for it, 8 15 rounders, 2 20 rounders and a 30.  I ran all of them through the gun in well under 2 minutes plenty of times without a single malfunction.  Good gun for the money.
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I've only put about 1500 rounds through mine but no problems.
Link Posted: 11/25/2004 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had mine for about 8 or 10 years,
the trigger is heavy, thats for sure
I have shot all sorts of junjk through it as well as good stuff and the only jams I have had were because of a cheap magazine. Not the most accurate but good enough.
Link Posted: 11/28/2004 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a PT 99 AF... Same weapon as a 92 but has adjustable rear sights...never had a problem with sight falling off or breaking... I have shot over 1000 rounds with  one malfunction.. and that was due to a faulty aftermarket mag....I chucked it and bought a factory  mag with no problems.... here is a link to my PT 99 and other stuffhref=photobucket.com/albums/0803/badroc/
Link Posted: 11/28/2004 6:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I love my PT99.  It is very accurate and never has jammed on me eiher.  I have put about 1000 rounds through it.  It is the gun that I carry the most too.  The sights are not cheaply made.

Get one you'll be glad you did.  I am.
Link Posted: 11/28/2004 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
My stepson and I both own 92`s.  No problems of any kind after thousands of rounds.  Id buy one again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2004 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
loved mine while I had it and never had any problems with it. Sold it to finance CCW pistol. I would definitely recommend for a good full size auto (don't try packing it CCW though)
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a PT92AFS. It was a good looking pistol. I liked the frame mounted safety/de-cocker. Incredibly smooth slide action. Decent trigger. Boringly accurate. I intend to get another down the road.

Good shooting.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had one for over 15 years(a 92), no malfunctions! Well made IMHO. I love the safety (as others have indicated) I will definitely replace mine with an adjustable sight model in the future. Don't think you can go wrong with them, you sure can spend alot more money trying to better it with other brands!!Huntr
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Good gun for the money. I have a PT99 that I bought in 1986 so it's not the decocker model. 2000+ rounds through it with only one hiccup......firing pin broke after shooting some Cor-Bon +p in it. Taurus fixed it with about a 2 week turnaround  for no cost. Factory hi-caps are plentiful and relatively cheap. Do it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:28:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Only experience is with an older version at a shooting range ~12 years ago.  A friend and I rented the gun, shot about 50-100 rounds through it before it locked up solid.  The owner later told us that one of the recoil lugs had broken (?).

I don't know how many rounds had been through it, but since it was a rental, I'm sure it had had quite a few.

That story being said, any firearm will break if you shoot it enough.  Taurus probably not quite as good as Berretta, but still decent reputation.

Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I like my PT92 AF. Solid. Reliable. About a 1000 rounds through it since I bought it. Trigger is a bit sloppy compared to a decent 1911 .45, but better than most Glocks I've fired. Non-adjustable front sight and a dovetail rear that has a restricted sight picture. Low light target aquisition is a bit of a concern.

Link Posted: 12/11/2004 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#15]
over 10K rounds through my taurus PT92AFS.  Boringly accurate and reliable.  No jams even with crappy mags that had to be hammered to fit the mag well.

Recently shot a 1000rd 2 day tactical pistol course, only problems i had was 2 malfs due to improper grip while firing weak hand only.  It performed just as well if not better than all the glocks, hk's and pricey custom 1911's.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#16]
They shoot looser than the Beretta 92 series, but like the previous posters say works fine, last a long time....they are made in Brasil a place where guns are banned, so go figure....
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
They shoot looser than the Beretta 92 series, but like the previous posters say works fine, last a long time....they are made in Brasil a place where guns are banned, so go figure....

They are not banned, almost.  You just can't have any military calibers, you have to have permit for any gun and are limited to 50 rds purchased per month.  Great!

I have 92C the only problem I've had are occasional stove pipes w/ 115gr ammo regardless of brand.  Use 125gr ammo and no problems.  The finish is extremely durable, I've had it for eight years and with a little wipedown with some oil it looks brand new.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Taurus 92 question....did Taurus obtain the tooling for their 92 from Beretta?  I thought I'd heard that somewhere...

Considering a 92...for $309 NIB, its hard to say no....
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Taurus 92 question....did Taurus obtain the tooling for their 92 from Beretta?  I thought I'd heard that somewhere...

I don't think the parts are interchangable but the similarity in in the licensing......
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are not banned, almost.  You just can't have any military calibers, you have to have permit for any gun and are limited to 50 rds purchased per month.  Great!

I have 92C the only problem I've had are occasional stove pipes w/ 115gr ammo regardless of brand.  Use 125gr ammo and no problems.  The finish is extremely durable, I've had it for eight years and with a little wipedown with some oil it looks brand new.

Except for hunters who use their guns to eat, the next vote will be for total disarmament........
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a pre-ban with adjustable sights.  It stovepiped once ( I think I limpwristed ) and it ftf twice but that was both with umc ammo so it might have been the ammo.  Otherwise nothing wrong with it.  Mine with certain ammo is very accurate.  And with others it isn't.  You just have to try and see what it likes.  It usually likes high quality ammo which to me seems normal.  But it has shot some cheap ammo pretty well.  It really liked the winchester white box 147 TMJ truncated.  It however didn't like the winnie white box 147 hp's.  It really like Remington 115 +p's.  I could go on and on.  It seems like a very good pistol though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#22]
This is one of the great buys on the market.  I have a safe full of handguns but this is the one in my military shoulder holster for a shtf fan scenario when I have to quick load the truck and head for the hills.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a PT99 and I love it except for one minor issue. Not that all the sights are cheaply made, but the back screw in mine was, the head just ripped off one day when I was shooting. Wierdest thing I've had happen shooting. It WAS accurate before losing the screw, and it has never jammed on me yet
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
loved mine while I had it and never had any problems with it. Sold it to finance CCW pistol. I would definitely recommend for a good full size auto (don't try packing it CCW though)

Why? I carry a 1911 (Government mod.) CCW, I've also CCWed my PT92, now I just ordered a left handed Kydex IWB holster so I can carry my PT92 as an offhand backup gun. FYI, I'm 6', 295lbs. I have no problem packing fullsized, just use IWB and wear suspenders!
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I just sent in my sight to taurus to be replaced under warranty. We'll see how long it takes for them to respond. I like the lifetime warranty, I bought mine used (it's pretty old) and taurus still warranties all of their guns for the life of the gun, not the buyer. Pretty unusual for such a low priced gun. Almost forgot, as for capacity, Taurus just released their new hicaps and they are 17 rounds rather than the 15 that they used to be
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's another +1.  I've got a PT99, and I'm at least the third (but most likely the last) owner.  I love shooting it, and so does my wife.  The rear site has been a problem for me also.  The only jams I've had were with one particular mag that doesn't see service anymore.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a pt99 (almost the same thing) that I have had for awhile. And my dad has had since 1990. It has never have one single problem. It hasn't been shot that much...maybe 700 rounds total I would say. I have recently (within a months time) put about 500 through it. Shoots pretty good. Very reliable. And the triggers aren't bad. Then again I got used to shooting a glock 19 so....

I like mine. Just isn't a cc gun.

::edit:: Mine also likes whatever ammo you put in it. Shot 500 lead tips, hollow points, FMJ...everything.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#28]
One of my first handguns was a Taurus PT-92 and I loved it.  It ate any ammo I could run through her with out any kind of malfunctions from the firearm.  Although the aftermarket mags I had never chambered the last round on its own for some reason.  But I could just push down the slide release to chamber that round while I loaded an extra mag so I'd have that one extra round ready to go.  Even fully loaded the pistol is nice and light so if you happen to carry one you shouldn't be burdened by the weight.  As it has been said the trigger kinda sucks.  Personaly though I don't mind it too much but out of the box it defeintly could use some adjustment.  

Sadly I traded her so that my little brother could have a dirt bike.  I will have another one thought so it's no big thing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

great gun, but do not get the adjustable sights, they are made cheaply and break off...

I would guess that if your father-in-law's PT92 has adjustable sights, they are not factory sights, since the PT92 comes with fixed sights.

I've seen the factory sights on the PT99, and they are not cheaply made by any means.  

In my humble opinion that is. ;)
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#30]
I did have a little situation with my back sight too(adjustable)  The pin that holds it down start to wiggle it's way out alot because I had it in my car in the case.  I just put a little dent in the metal with a small screwdriver to keep it in place and I haven't had a problem since.  FYI.  But nothing to condemn the pistol about.  If it was the fixed it probably wouldn't have happened.
Link Posted: 1/25/2005 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I also have a PT-99.  Bought it about 12 years ago.  Never had a problem with the gun or the sights.  I have traded off several pistols since I bought this one, but I will not part with it.  Consistantly puts 115 grain fmj's in a 2 inch circle at 25 yds if I do my part.  I like the ability to carry it "cocked and locked." Factory mags are also easy to find at the fun shows.

I read an article on the hx of Taurus several years ago.  Apparently Beretta sold the equipment to them for their operation.  The article also mentioned the Beretta M-9 when it was going through service testing before it was adopted by the military.  A lot of the problems they had with the M-9 in the beginning was with the slides and recoil lugs breaking with the 9mm nato load.  The article (pro Taurus) stated that the PT series was made with superior steel to the M-9.  And in testing, the Brazil guns had never suffered the same failure.  

I have no idea if that was true, but it made for interesting reading.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I know it's probably a cardinal sin to touch this ammo, But BEAR SUXORED my world!!!
Bear ammo is terrible, the only kind I ever had a jam with and its because of the crap casings they use. Its garbage anyway and I dont let it in the same room as my PT92.
I love the 92 though... absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I think that the Taurus is actually made from the tooling Beretta used to make
pistols for their South American military and LEO contracts.

Excellent pistol for the money.
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 3:47:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Ive had two. Ive never had any reliabilty problems of any kind. I miss them both.
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that the Taurus is actually made from the tooling Beretta used to make
pistols for their South American military and LEO contracts.

Excellent pistol for the money.

Once upon a time Beretta built a factory to supply model 92 pistols to the Brazilian military.  This was the original version of the 92 before it was changed to compete in the M9 trials and had no decocker, a frame mounted safety and a 'European' mag release at the bottom of the grip.  This means that the current Taurus and current Beretta share the same ancestry but took different paths.  Beretta and Taurus both moved the mag release to the proper 'American' position behind the trigger but since they each did this on their own the designs are very different which prevents the mags from being easily interchangable.  The safety/decocker mechanism is obviously very different.  The Taurus also doesn't the advantage of Beretta's enhancements since then.  The 92FS has the larger pin to prevent the rear of the slide from coming off if the slide breaks and the Taurus doesn't have this.  Beretta has made small changes over the years to the design of the slide and locking block to make them less likely to crack and the Taurus doesn't have this.   Beretta uses either stainless or chrome lined barrels in all of their pistols and Taurus doesn't offer the chrome lining.  The locking block and barrel should be interchangeable if you wanted to 'upgrade' a Taurus with Beretta parts.

I bought a PT101, the .40 with adj. sights, back in the 90s when it was first introduced and overall I have been very happy with it.  The adjustable sights are fragile and I finally just bought a fixed sight slide from Gun Parts Corp and have been happy ever since.
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I took it to the range recently and had 1 malfunction. Friend of mine was shooting it when it happened. He is very inexperienced and may have limp wristed the gun even with both hands. It failed to fully eject the casing and it jammed up the slide.

It also stove piped a few. Actually quiet a few...and through them right in my face.
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Only experience is with an older version at a shooting range ~12 years ago.  A friend and I rented the gun, shot about 50-100 rounds through it before it locked up solid.  The owner later told us that one of the recoil lugs had broken (?).

Probably the locking block, which is what happened to me.  I put 10,000 rounds through my PT92 and it broke.  Sent it back to Taurus and got it back a couple weeks later good as new.  A couple years later traded it in towards a Sig.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I notice that some of the earlier posters on this thread mention the heavy trigger pull. I replaced the hammer spring on mine with the mainspring from a 1911, lightens things up and the trigger seems smoother too.
Two things to consider though.
I had no disassembly instructions for this gun when I took it apart, it was an "interesting" job. If you're not good with mechanical stuff, you should get a 'smith to do this job for you.

The lighter spring means lighter hammer strikes. Mine works fine but I recommend that you test fire a couple hundred rounds to be sure yours works OK too.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I notice that some of the earlier posters on this thread mention the heavy trigger pull. I replaced the hammer spring on mine with the mainspring from a 1911, lightens things up and the trigger seems smoother too.
Two things to consider though.
I had no disassembly instructions for this gun when I took it apart, it was an "interesting" job. If you're not good with mechanical stuff, you should get a 'smith to do this job for you.

The lighter spring means lighter hammer strikes. Mine works fine but I recommend that you test fire a couple hundred rounds to be sure yours works OK too.

Don in Ohio

The Army Marksmanship unit used to install 1911 mainsprings in their match Berettas to lighten the pull.  

When I had a trigger job done on my Beretta by Ernest Langdon he installed a mainspring from a double action only Beretta because they are a lighter trigger but are still plenty strong enough to be reliable.  I bought a Beretta D model spring from Brownells and installed it in my Taurus with very good results.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I think I read about the 1911 spring in an article by Mas Ayoob, too many years ago to be sure anymore.
There were no DAO Berettas at the time, but I would have probably used the Colt spring anyway 'cause I've got some in the parts box.
I got my PT 92 20 years ago, never had any problem, shoots everything I've loaded into it, and only cost 211 bucks and change at the time. A buddy bought a Beretta 92 at the same time, my Taurus is more accurate. He paid 2-1/2 times as much and was a little miffed!

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 1:57:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I own a PT99 that I bought in 1986. Great gun! The only mod I did
was put Pachmyer grips on it. Never had a problem with the sights.
It shoots anything I feed it, and shoots it well. I'd say it is as
sturdy and reliable as a good ole' 45. It does seem to feel better
shooting 124 grain and 147 grain loads. For defense, try the
Federal HydroShok or a newer one by Remington I believe is called
the Golden Spear.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Just got my gun all back together, I also had my slide matte chromed at azex arms here in AZ looks beautiful, I also keep a magazine of hydrashok for defense, they are a mean round.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

great gun, but do not get the adjustable sights, they are made cheaply and break off...

I would guess that if your father-in-law's PT92 has adjustable sights, they are not factory sights, since the PT92 comes with fixed sights.

I've seen the factory sights on the PT99, and they are not cheaply made by any means.  

the gun is a stainless 9mm beretta copy

FACTORY ORIGINAL sights

i sent them to taurus in the end of october for replacement, they keep telling me they are on the way in 7-10 days

they are way behind it seems

anyone else waiting for ther cheaply made adjustable sights to be replaced?

ps, they are very small/weak, take it apart and look at the design, the elevation screw holds things in place, and it is hollow, and very thin underneath, this is where mine broke

then the whole sight came apart and fell off the gun

lost a spring and some other stuff underneath
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the gun is a stainless 9mm beretta copy

FACTORY ORIGINAL sights

i sent them to taurus in the end of october for replacement, they keep telling me they are on the way in 7-10 days

they are way behind it seems

anyone else waiting for ther cheaply made adjustable sights to be replaced?

ps, they are very small/weak, take it apart and look at the design, the elevation screw holds things in place, and it is hollow, and very thin underneath, this is where mine broke

then the whole sight came apart and fell off the gun

lost a spring and some other stuff underneath

I had a similar malfunction, but they fixed it for me quick. Shipping was about a week each time (first they sent me a new sight, then the mounting pieces, but during that time I lost that thin spring and they had to ship me a new one.  The rear sight I received also seems to be more sturdy than the one that came on my gun
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure how I missed this one before, but you are very mistaken.  When my adjustable sight broke for the 3rd time (fixed the first two under warranty) I finally just said to hell with it and bought  a fixed sight slide from Numrich.  The very small, thin pin that the sight pivots on is weak and broke repeatedly.  2 of the 3 times that the pin broke the head of the elevation screw was chipped as well.

Also, if you get t he adjustable sights then you'd better be happy with them becuse there is nothing aftermarket available.  With the fixed sights you can replace the rear sight.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#46]
I bought a PT92 used about 12 or so years ago and it's a great gun. Mine is the Model that came from the factory with a Laser Aim Sight combo. I have had zero problems and I think the previous owner had a trigger job done.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#47]
just got the "in 10 days you will have it speech AGAIN!"

who wants it without the rear sight?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Taurus 292/99's are great guns.  Very very underrated.   Gun-Tests Magazine compared the Beretta 92, The Beretta 92 Elite II, and the Taurus 92 side-by-side.  The Taurus came out on top.  It was as reliable as either of the Berettas and was more accurate (.5-1" smaller groups).
That article was in the Jan. 2000 issue of that magazine.  I have a Beretta, but I am thinking about getting a Taurus because they offer their guns with under-barrel rails now.  I also want to get a 27/7.  I held one of those in my hand the other day and it was the best feeling pistol I have come across.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Here is a link if anyone wants to order the article.  Link
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#50]
My stepson & I both have Taurus 9`s with several thousand rounds through both of them.  My stepsons gun broke a piece of the locking lug but that was while we were shooting some pretty hot reloads.  Taurus repaired the gun no charge.  Other than that they go bang every time & they arent ammo picky.  I like the Berettas but cant see spending the $ premium for the name, the Taurus is too good a buy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top