Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2009 1:17:01 AM EDT
I have started my search for my first 1911. I have fondled several and in the end, I tended to return to  the Kimber's.
It felt like the crispest trigger pull I had ever felt.
So as my search narrows I have a few questions that I need answered by some Kimber users here.

• 1. What are the main differences between the following
        A. Stainless TLE II / RL
        B. Desert Warrior / Warrior (is color the only difference between these two?)
        C. SIS RL
        (all would be the 5" model)

Obviously color is the main thing, but besides that, what else?

• 2. Do I want a Rail? My main purpose for this will more then likely be a bedroom gun for bumps in the night, followed by my go to SHTF gun
       and lastly a CCW. If all goes well I'm wure there will be a 3" in my future to replace my polymers I carry.
       That being said, I was looking at reviews and several that I found had people showing their dislike in shopping for holsters for railed models.
       I would more then likely have an IWB leather (Milt maybe?) and a 6004/5 drop leg and a OWB paddle for the range. If I don't have a light on it all the time
       I was reading that some holsters may not work. I also read that some holster manufacturers may not make holsters for railed 1911's
       That sounds like issues I don't want. I always carry a small flashlight when I CCW, so I don't think I would rely on my TLR-2 for CCW.

• 3. Lastly, prices seem to vary dramatically for the above mentioned three. I know I am buying quality, I just wanna make sure I get it at a great price.  
       Would you guys mind giving your opinions on pricing for those three that would be fair.

I'm sure there are other things out there I should be looking at, what would you recommend?  
Wilson mags seem the way to go in that department, I also want NS on it, I noticed some, if not all three have NS, right?
What else am I forgetting?
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Custom II CDP

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/cdp/custom_cdp_II/

That said - I can't really say much else, except I don't have a rail and miss one.  My "bump in the night" gun is a SA XD 40 with rail and light, so that rail is really important to me.

You're gonna have to go to their site and compare - or better yet, give them a call.

I am betting you can find a local one used for a great price.

IIRC mine was $800 or so.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:14:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a Custom II CDP

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/cdp/custom_cdp_II/

That said - I can't really say much else, except I don't have a rail and miss one.  My "bump in the night" gun is a SA XD 40 with rail and light, so that rail is really important to me.

You're gonna have to go to their site and compare - or better yet, give them a call.

I am betting you can find a local one used for a great price.

IIRC mine was $800 or so.

Thank you for the response. I visited the Kimber site and kept flipping between pages, it got a little annoying..
I do have a bump in the night gun, for now USPc in 9mm with a flash light with it.
I looked for a adapter for the TLR-2 and it was around $60    screw that, I would rather have a new pistol with a legit rail on it!  
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The Warriors have an ambidextrous safety, unlike the single-sided one on the TLE-RL II.

The SIS also has SIS serrations in the front and rear.

All have night sights. The question is do you feel that the differences between the SIS and Warriors are worth the increase in price from the TLE-RL II? The SIS looks ok, but unless I was a part of the LAPD unit that it was made for, why would I want one?

Out of the three (four if you consider both of the Warriors), I'd go with the TLE-RL II. Mainly for a price reason, but also because I would be able to get one in stainless. Even though it doesn't have the ambidextrous safety, you can always add one. The rail is a big thing for me, being I'm looking for a new pistol now, and it is one of the requirements I have (the TLE-RL II is up against the Glock 35 and the SIG 228R; I have a .40 226 in the back of my mind, but not too sure on it). I like the CDP II, being it is a beautiful pistol, but no rail drops it (I also looked at HK USPs, but no rail and has a very different magazine release).

Magazines, I was looking into Chip McCormick if I did go down that path.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#4]

1 Stainless TLE II has the series II firing pin block safety, 30LPI front strap checkering and night sights.

2  Warrior and Desert Warrior are series I, no firing pin block safety.  KImpro finishes. Desert Warrior has slight melt down on the slide and a medium length solid black trigger.  They both have ambis and Tactical Wedge night sights.  Great pistols but if you want to add checkering to the front strap, Kimber will charge you to re-apply the Kimpro, looking around $3330 w/ S&H.

3  SIS are series I also, front strap checkering, ambis and Grey Kimpro.  The sights are a ledge style, other sights will not fit on the slide, the dovetail cut is completely different form the rest of the Kimber line.  The grips are really nice.

Rail?  Up to you, better to have and not need????

I think the TLE series are the best buy, give you a good basis to add more, but the night sights and checkering make it pretty good right out of the box.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Warriors have an ambidextrous safety, unlike the single-sided one on the TLE-RL II.

The SIS also has SIS serrations in the front and rear.

All have night sights. The question is do you feel that the differences between the SIS and Warriors are worth the increase in price from the TLE-RL II? The SIS looks ok, but unless I was a part of the LAPD unit that it was made for, why would I want one?

Out of the three (four if you consider both of the Warriors), I'd go with the TLE-RL II. Mainly for a price reason, but also because I would be able to get one in stainless. Even though it doesn't have the ambidextrous safety, you can always add one. The rail is a big thing for me, being I'm looking for a new pistol now, and it is one of the requirements I have (the TLE-RL II is up against the Glock 35 and the SIG 228R; I have a .40 226 in the back of my mind, but not too sure on it). I like the CDP II, being it is a beautiful pistol, but no rail drops it (I also looked at HK USPs, but no rail and has a very different magazine release).

Magazines, I was looking into Chip McCormick if I did go down that path.

It's almost like we are the same person. Your response is exactly the way I feel with regards to the situation.
I really think I am leaning towards a stainless model. I like all the colored models, but I have also read of specific Kimber holster wear.
I did notice the ambi safety, I forgot to mention it. I also thought that was something I would rather have, then not.
If something did happen and my strong side draw had issues, IE my dumb ass got shot    I cold still effectively use the saftey left handed.
Is that the right thought to have.

Quoted:

1 Stainless TLE II has the series II firing pin block safety, 30LPI front strap checkering and night sights.

2  Warrior and Desert Warrior are series I, no firing pin block safety.  KImpro finishes. Desert Warrior has slight melt down on the slide and a medium length solid black trigger.  They both have ambis and Tactical Wedge night sights.  Great pistols but if you want to add checkering to the front strap, Kimber will charge you to re-apply the Kimpro, looking around $3330 w/ S&H.

3  SIS are series I also, front strap checkering, ambis and Grey Kimpro.  The sights are a ledge style, other sights will not fit on the slide, the dovetail cut is completely different form the rest of the Kimber line.  The grips are really nice.

I think the TLE series are the best buy, give you a good basis to add more, but the night sights and checkering make it pretty good right out of the box.

Can you explain the firing pin safety and said checkering.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#6]

The front strap checkering is on the front of the grip where your fingers wrap around, it's texture to give you a little more solid of a grip.  

The firing pin block is an additional safety feature.  The firing pin cannot go forward unless you have the grip safety depressed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The front strap checkering is on the front of the grip where your fingers wrap around, it's texture to give you a little more solid of a grip.  

The firing pin block is an additional safety feature.  The firing pin cannot go forward unless you have the grip safety depressed.

That is a noce option. How is it looked at form well versed 1911 users here?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How much? I have a Warrior and would really like the front strap checkered. With that finish it feels very slippery. I added some skateboard tape to my strap but would rather have it checkered.

But not for over $3k.

Jim

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Lol, sorry, should read $330.

$300 for the checkering and re-Kimpro'ing, $30 for S&H.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lol, sorry, should read $330.

$300 for the checkering and re-Kimpro'ing, $30 for S&H.

That sounds a lot better. I was thinking that must be some really nice checkering.

How does that price compare to having an aftermarket gunsmith checker and refinish it?

Jim

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[

It is considered an abomination invented by lawyers.  

Normally, it's not a problem.  It makes it a little harder to reassemble the gun, but it usually works just fine.  However, like any other mechanical device it can fail.  Unfortunately if it fails you get a click instead of a bang.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

It is considered an abomination invented by lawyers.  

Normally, it's not a problem.  It makes it a little harder to reassemble the gun, but it usually works just fine.  However, like any other mechanical device it can fail.  Unfortunately if it fails you get a click instead of a bang.

It can be removed quite easily and the gun will function perfectly.  I wouldn't worry about it.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#13]
If this will be a nightstand gun, then I would get the TLE RL, since you want a gun with a rail.  I prefer nightsights on my handguns along with handheld flashlights, ie Surefire.  I have no need for stainless since the gun will not be exposed to rain and such.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:02:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If this will be a nightstand gun, then I would get the TLE RL, since you want a gun with a rail.  I prefer nightsights on my handguns along with handheld flashlights, ie Surefire.  I have no need for stainless since the gun will not be exposed to rain and such.

I was worried about holster wear from Kydex based holsters.
I thought stainless was the better way to go.
I read a review somewhere that stated that the Kimber's wear in certain places on all models.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top