Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 6:36:26 AM EDT
I'm really struggling.  Do I get an XD 9 or XD 40? - and no I won't by both.  I've already narrowed my choice down the Sprinfield XD line - so I'm not open to "get this other..."  This will be my first handgun and I'd like something I can perfect my shooting skills with, while at the same time using as my CCW gun.  Ammo costs are somewhat a concern here.  I do have some experience with my father-in-law's 9mm.  I am open to suggestion on the 5", 4" and subcompact lines.  I need to be swayed one way or another as I'd like to make a purchase in the next few days
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm really struggling.  Do I get an XD 9 or XD 40? - and no I won't by both.  I've already narrowed my choice down the Sprinfield XD line - so I'm not open to "get this other..."  This will be my first handgun and I'd like something I can perfect my shooting skills with, while at the same time using as my CCW gun.  Ammo costs are somewhat a concern here.  I do have some experience with my father-in-law's 9mm.  I am open to suggestion on the 5", 4" and subcompact lines.  I need to be swayed one way or another as I'd like to make a purchase in the next few days

I have both 9mm and .40 pistols, so here is my list of pros and cons, you decide which is important to you:

9mm PROS
-Ammo is less expensive ($10 walmart 100 round pack of winchester FMJ practice ammo) - personal defense JHP about the same cost
-If the SHTF 9mm ammo is standard used by the military, larger stockpiles
-Better penetration with +P if that is desired
-significantly more rounds in Hi-cap mags that should be available when AW ban expires -24 days
-Less recoil makes for less effort when practicing accuracy

9mm CONS
-higher penetration - perhaps bad if used for home defense or personal defense - overpenetration can cause collateral damage.
-Less knockdown impact than .40 in +P

.40 S&W PROS
-Better knock down impact when used for home/personal defense in +P loads
-Lesser penetration compared to 9mm - less chance of overpenetration in walls or perpetrators
-Ranger Talon LE ammo available to civilians with overruns - have never seen Ranger Talon in 9mm

.40 S&W CONS
-More expensive ammo for practice ($16.95 walmart 100 round packs winchester FMJ) - personal defense JHP about the same cost
-More recoil means less comfort for extended practice sessions.
-Perhaps less available if the SHTF
-Lesser penetration if this is desirable for heavy clothing on perpetrators.
-Significantly smaller magazine capacity if ban expires and Hi-cap mags available again.

NOTE: if this is for CCW, go with the subcompact unless you routinely wear bulky clothing or jackets- trying to conceal a full size is more of a challenge in the hot summer days! XML tac light can be used with both with the XD series.

My choice for CCW would be the XD9 subcompact. Second choice would be the XD40 subcompact. third choice, XD9 full size. Fourth choice, XD40 full size.

Having said that I carry a P239 compact in .40 on hot days and a P220 fullsize in .45 on cold days. I will probably buy an XD9 subcompact for CCW as well at some point.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Here are a few things to think about.  

If you are going to shoot alot, enough that a buck or two per box of ammo will make a diff, then get the 9mm.  9mm is not a bad defense round if you use quality ammo.  

Unlike the Glock you can shoot lead through a 9 or 40 XD.  Since you can shoot lead through the XD family that opens up the ability to shoot reloads, lowering your cost if a 40 is what you want.

If you are worried about the stopping power of the 9, pull the trigger 3 times instead of 2.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got an XD 40 Service Model and I really like it but if this is your first handgun, you may find the recoil a little snappy.  It is a little hard to conceal with summer clothing but sure is lighter and smaller than my 1911.  As soon as I can rathole some money that my auditor (read that as loving wife) doesn't know about, I'm going to go for a Subcompact in 9 MM for a CCW.  In any event, I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the XDs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I went with the 9mm. Cheaper and more readily availible ammo was the main reason. I bought it  primarily to get my daughters shooting handguns with more punch than a 22lr. Since I bought the damned thing I cant seem to put it down, I love it. I plan on buying a couple more1 for each of them and 1 for MEhootSteve
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Glock 19

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Glock 19

+1....

Or Glock 22.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#7]
AR_Shorty:

As I mentioned in the Springfield Forum I picked up a SC XD9 last week.  I also mentioned in another thread that I saw a reasonabily priced XD40 at the same funstore and pondered picking it up.  

The funstore lets you try out guns (rent) before you buy them.  The used XD40 was rented to me and I put a 50 round box of ammo down the pipe.

Here is my opnion, FWIW....

For CCW purposed the SC XD's are great guns.  The service (4" barrel)  XD is a little hard to carry concealed with shorts and light clothing but can be done.  The longer grip makes it print or show more on me not necesarrily the barrel.  For ease of overall concealability the SC XD is the best choice.

For caliber I will say this.  I am used to shooting two pistol calibers in this type of gun; 9mm and .45.  I find .40 to have more of a snap to it than .45 and would rather prefer .45 ACP to .40 S&W but that's just me.  My CCW guns for the most part have been 9mm for many of the reasons listed above.  

So when I shot the XD40 service I found that recoil was not an issue at all.  In fact the gun was hitting home with almost every shot at 10-15 yards.  It grouped better than my XD-9 SC I bought the previous week.  However the recoil was snappier than any 9mm I have ever fired; I adjusted my grip after the first few rounds to better handle the recoil.  It isn't that much of a difference, but there is a difference.  

Now my XD-9 SC has less felt recoil than my older carry piece, a S&W 6906.  In fact I have found the XD-9 SC to be extremely controllable under rapid fire and accurate enough (I can hit steel plates with it easily at 25 yards but its not the best grouper).  So in the SC model I am sure the .40 would have a significant snappier recoil compared to the 9mm.  Not saying that it would be horrible, but recoil would be much more noticable than in 9mm.  

If you are looking for a carry gun for winter with heavier clothing then get the XD40 service because you can get 9mm and .357 sig barrels for it and 9mm shoots out of the .40 magazines.  If you are trying to carry all of the time and want lower recoil and IMO faster follow up shots go for the XD-9 SC.  Also get the one with the silver slide as it seems to wear better.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Good advise on all previous entries.  If it were me ,being it is your first handgun, I'd go with the XD9.  9mm is a blast to shoot, cheap and effective for life protection with proper ammo.  Can't go wrong with a good 9mm handgun.    

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out xd-gear.com they sell barrels for the XD's that allow caliber conversion.  The .40 version can be converted via barrel swap to a 9mm but you cannot do the opposite.  The .40 can also be converted to .357sig.    I plan to buy the 9mm barrel for the wife to practice with her XD a bit more and of course cheaper.    I should note however that at the last funshow I went to I bought a box of 1K of .40sw reloads for $117ish.   You wont find 9mm much cheaper.  Obviously bigger is better for defense after all JHPs are designed to make the bullet bigger to cause more damage....start bigger and get bigger is gonna be better.   Glockies are always jealous of the superior features of the XD, the fully suppported chamber, striker indicator, grip safety, real sights, etc...  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry an XD in 5 inch and have no trouble with it.  It is VERY reliable.  Given the fact you can buy a 9mm barrel and drop it in to the .40 cal I would say go for the .40 cal.  

But if youre NOT going to buy the extra barrel then go with the 9mm.  I have over 1000 rounds through mine and it has not even hiccupped.  

Excellent choice either way.  

I shoot normallyl 1200-1500 rounds per month between my G19 and my XD9.  So for me 3 or 4 dollars per box of ammo makes a difference of 60 Dollars a month... so for me that would be an extra 6 100-Round boxes of ammo!!!  

In the 3 inch the felt recoil differeence is HUGE between the 9mm and the .40.  

In the 4 inch its not as bad.  

In the 5 inch its almost unoticeable.  IF recoil is a concern for you, go with the 5 incher, or the 4 incher... the .40 cal in the 3 inch is VERY SNAPPY.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Get the XD9 without a doubt.

1. If you are new to handgun shooting, a 9mm is going to be a lot easier to learn on then a .40. (Hell a .45, depending on the gun, with be easier to learn on than a .40)

2. As mentioned a million times, 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper and easier to find so you will be more likely to practice with it.

3. Even forgetting the last two points, the XD9 is a better gun than the XD40. Go to XD-Talk and read a few pages of their site. You will quickly see the XD-9 are generally pretty reliable. Many of the XD40 are experiencing issues.

I recently bought an XD9 (4" Service model). I had a minor issue at first that I think can be blamed on my hold. After adjusting my hold I have had no more issues so far. That said, I think I still prefer my Glock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Get the XD9 without a doubt.

1. If you are new to handgun shooting, a 9mm is going to be a lot easier to learn on then a .40. (Hell a .45, depending on the gun, with be easier to learn on than a .40)

2. As mentioned a million times, 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper and easier to find so you will be more likely to practice with it.

3. Even forgetting the last two points, the XD9 is a better gun than the XD40. Go to XD-Talk and read a few pages of their site. You will quickly see the XD-9 are generally pretty reliable. Many of the XD40 are experiencing issues.

I recently bought an XD9 (4" Service model). I had a minor issue at first that I think can be blamed on my hold. After adjusting my hold I have had no more issues so far. That said, I think I still prefer my Glock.

+1

As much as I love my XD, I still carry my G19 more often than the XD.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:55:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top