Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2003 6:13:35 PM EDT
Ok I have a lot of interest with the Beretta 92fs which I am quite familiar with.  I do also like the mag capacity and it fits my hand well.  Besides that I love the 1911 style but have never had a chance to shoot one.  I am open to suggestions as long as it's semi-auto and fall in this price range.

Where is the best place to get a Beretta full size from?  Or the model that Taurus makes?...
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If you shop around you can find a CZ 75b in that price range. Probably the best buy in that price range.

The Springfeild xd9 might be in that range too depending on your area
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the EE Forum here. It has a lot of great deals. You should be able to find them in your price range there.

I'll second the CZ-75B choice. I love mine. Don't know if it a good choice for a first time buyer. (but that is a training issue) Nice gun for the money. It's nice 9mm 1911 substitute.

My first was a Glock 23. I wanted a "KISS" pistol. (keep it simple stupid)

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go beretta 92, though I have heard good things about the taurus, like a better safety for cocked and locked carry. seems to me they have a 1911 style safety on the left side, unless I'm mistaken. But why not just go for the original if you have the bucks? Got my beretta for 400 used, plus 3 15 rounders, factory.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Springfield XD
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Springfield XD

if your looking for a 9mm or .40s&w
consider one of these
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I don't find Glocks, Berettas or XDs all that fun to shoot, mostly because of the triggers.  All except the XD are a little more than you want to spend anyway.

SIGs are out of your price range, as are good 1911s.

I was shooting a Ruger P95D a couple of weeks ago.  It looked like a decent gun.  The guy bought it for about $300, and there is a $40 rebate right now.  Not sexy, but it seemed like a good buy.  I'd either get that or save some money to get a SIG or 1911.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Next pistol I buy will be a Walther P99 in .40 S&W, although that's probably $100 more than what you have to spend. I had one before and sold it (which I regret now) to make some credit card payments. Now I'm looking to get a CCW and pistol to go along with the permit in the near future...
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]
XD9 4" or compact I loved the grip compared to many others.  The grips I hated the most were glocks well at least the smaller 17 and 19 didn't hold any others.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
(insert favorite brand of 1911 here)
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Guns are like shoes: they fit us all differently.

You need to go shoot all those you're considering as what feels good in a guns store may be wholly different out on the range.

Certainly there's many fans of Beretta, Glock, etc. I've owned & shot them all. Hands down, the most ACCURATE semi out there is H&K.

Someone once wrote, "Only accurate guns are interesting." I add to that, "the MOST accurate gun is the MOST interesting."

I've seen grown men cuss their Kimbers & Springfields after shooting my H&K USP. I own 2 Springfield 1911s so I'm certainly not slamming 1911s.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 3:42:39 AM EDT
[#11]
The best money I've spent in years was my .40 XD service.  Accurate, safe, reliable.  When I walk out the door, that is what I pick up, 99% of the time.  

If you get the 9mm, 15 rnds of 9mm will fit in the .40 mag....

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Ruger P95 as a boat gun due to it's corrosion resistant construction.  To my surprise, it actually fires well and mine feeds P89 15 round mags.  

I certainly can't complain for the money.

Tj
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:49:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd throw my vote in for the CZ75B.  Good 9mm pistol.  Been around for 27 years.  Hicap magazines are still available. Ammo is relatively cheap.  

It's an accurate pistol.  Good for a beginner, because if you're not shooting well, you know it's YOU and not the gun.  Cheap ammo will allow you to practice a lot.  

They're inexpensive, accurate, and built like tanks.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#14]
XD, used glock, milspec springfield 1911, fn, Alot will depend on if you want new or are willing to look at used guns. I paid 425/00 for a used Kimber 1911, sure it showed some wear but I knew being a Kimber and a 1911 any problems would be relatively easy to correct, same would hold true for a Glock.  If you only have 450 total you will need to consider other things you may want such as an extra mag(s), holster and ammo. If money is tight 9mm is much cheaper to shoot.  I have had good luck with Tauras handguns esp the model 92/99.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#15]
If you like the Beretta's  they can be found in excellent used condition for well within your price range. I just bought a NIB South African Vektor SP1 in 9mm...a very high quality Beretta 92 copy with enclosed slide and a few other improvements for $389 + $20 shipping. It has the old style DA trigger that must be manually lowered, uses Beretta 92F mags and has polygon rifling to boot. I like the Vektor much better than the Taurus pistols.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you shop around you can find a CZ 75b in that price range. Probably the best buy in that price range.

The Springfeild xd9 might be in that range too depending on your area

Excellent Advice!!!

XD or CZ75b!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#17]
bought a griffon 1911a1-----love it
$389.95 from cdnn
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#18]
You can't beat a Ruger in that range. Tough as nails, will fire everything you feed it, never fails. People claim that they are not accurate or ugly looking. I have a p90 with a Hogue grip in stainless that looks sharp to me and if anyone cares to stand up in front of me we'll find out how accurate it is. Don't think you'll have to many takers on that bet!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd consider the XD.  The grip angle is very similar to the 1911.  It has nice sights, all metal mags, an accessory rail, a grip safety, and lifetime warranty on the pistol (not just the original owner). The trigger pull is consistant between the first and last shot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#20]
poll.  Poll!  POLL!!!!!!!!! (XD9)

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I'ld go with either:

A Browning Hi-power

or a Glock police trade in

Or a Ruger P95 or 97 depending on caliber you want (95 is 9MM 97 is .45) Both  are accurate cheap and reliable. an added plus is the SS and polymer that really won't corrode easily.

anything in Les Baer's lineup would outshoot a USP or MK23 so I guess that makes them the most interesting guns out: )
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#22]
If it's really your first handgun get a .22 Ruger/Browning and a bunch of ammo.
The cz75 would be my next choice(accurate, and in Europe especially they are shot extensively in action pistol sports, i.e. they shoot the heck out of those things and they hold up well).
For $350 for the CZ, you can afford to buy alot of ammo from Walmart($11.97/100 Winchester white box). And you used to be able to get a fifteen round normal magazine for that $350, not sure if that's still true.
Best choice for the money.
My .02
Tom B.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Another CZ-75 vote.  I have a couple 1911s, and one each 92fs, Kahr P9, H&K P7, Luger, Glock 17.  I really enjoy shooting the CZ and the P7 the most.  $350 for a brand new pistol that will come with a 15 and a 10 round magazine.  15 round mags can be found for $20-$30 so you can spend the extra $100 on 2 or 3 mags and have some left over for ammo.  If 9mm gets too expensive, you can also purchase a .22 conversion kit for your CZ.  Great ergonomics, very reliable, and high cap mags readily available.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd go for the Taurus PT 92.  You can get one for $250-300 used in good shape, and then you can spend some cash on hi caps and ammo.  Get one in 9mm, and you'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Another vote here for the SAXD40. One of the finest new firearm on the market today!
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#26]
All of the above mentioned pistols are quality firearms.  My opinion would be to go with a used Glock or Beretta.  You're already comfortable with the Beretta so it would make sense to stick with that.  

On the other hand, the Glock trigger is consistent for every shot, no DA/SA transition.  Yes it can be perfected, it is a training thing just like getting used to the Glock trigger.  

If you can't find a Glock or Beretta in your price range, then go with a new Ruger.  Rugers are built like brick shithouses.  I owned 1 for awhile.  Got rid of it because it was bigger than I wanted for a carry gun.

For your first handgun I would stick with a 9mm.  I didn't do this and ammo prices killed me because I was still in college.

Final thought.  If you go with a 9mm Ruger, you can spend the money you saved on ammo.  You'll end up with a healthy stash of ammo and a great handgun.

I'm long winded, I know.
Scott  
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
All of the above mentioned pistols are quality firearms.  My opinion would be to go with a used Glock or Beretta.  You're already comfortable with the Beretta so it would make sense to stick with that.  

On the other hand, the Glock trigger is consistent for every shot, no DA/SA transition.  Yes it can be perfected, it is a training thing just like getting used to the Glock trigger.  

If you can't find a Glock or Beretta in your price range, then go with a new Ruger.  Rugers are built like brick shithouses.  I owned 1 for awhile.  Got rid of it because it was bigger than I wanted for a carry gun.

For your first handgun I would stick with a 9mm.  I didn't do this and ammo prices killed me because I was still in college.

Final thought.  If you go with a 9mm Ruger, you can spend the money you saved on ammo.  You'll end up with a healthy stash of ammo and a great handgun.

I'm long winded, I know.
Scott  

I agree with the Ruger 9mm.
Good, solid, reliable gun for lower price than most.
9mm is cheap and there are millions of loads for it out there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Repeat after me:
C Z

Like a Beretta and a HiPower crossed together.  Several different configurations.  I just got mine on Friday.  Ordered 2 15rd mags from a guy on GunBroker for $42 shipped.  $42 for TWO hicaps!  SWEET.  

It's accurate.  Solid. NICE finish.  Pretty good trigger (I'll admit, the Beretta 92 I had a while ago had a slightly nicer trigger in SA mode, but I favor the CZ's ability to go cocked and locked).  Feels good in my hand.  Worth the $389 I paid at Academy for it.

forgot the obligatory picture:
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I can't believe none of you bothered to ask the guy:

1)What do you want to do with it?
 concealed carry, home defense, target, IDPA,  boat, aircraft.

2) What is your skill level and how much time and effort do you intend to put into your training.

3)  If you're interested in concealed carry, how tall, heavy are you.  Do you live in warm or cold climate, how do you normally dress?

4) Are you open to a used gun.

All these factors will determine what the "best" gun for you is.  The guns recommended are all quality pieces, and are all someone's "best" gun.  Figuring out which is best for you starts by answering the above questions.

Best regards,

Don

You can't really answer what "is best" until you know what the priority is.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#30]
If the beretta and 1911 fit your hand well you have a versatile hand.

I just was talking to a guy in my unit about deploying with a personal sidearm and he said it is much easier to get ammo if you bring a 92 and then just tell the supply people you are issued a 92 and that you need ammo for it.

He also said the only caliber to bring is 9mm because otherwise finding ammo is a problem.

Also you have to ship the gun home when you leave in 2 different packages or it will be confiscated as all non-issue equipment is now considered a war trophy and you can't bring home war trophies.

that might make the decision easier.  (that guy brings a Glock 19 and sends it home when he deploys.) He said that he just bought ammo off of headquarters bitches, medics, or officers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#31]
 Someone has already said "if it is your first handgun get a 22LF rimfire"... Roger That!

My vote is S&W M617 10 shot double action revolver w/6" barrel; give you good service for the rest of your life.

Always check the used gun section for the real bargains. S&W 22LR rimfire handgun models are many…none are bad.  I paid $235 for a 95% M17 w/6” barrel last year and it is a real shooter.

It is not often a person finds a rimfire handgun that is worn out; very often a person can find a rimfire handgun that is fouled out.  If you need help you can have a gun shop clean it for $25 or so.

Still save enough for a few thousand rounds of good quality ammo, never shoot non coated lead ammo.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Great thread.  Poor college student myself, and I will be CCW in December...

Buying 2x U22 Neos (for plinking/pistol practice).  I figure buy 2x 4.5, use one for main CCW use (I know, .22, but if I ever had to 'use' it, it hopefully wouldn't be a shooting match), and an old .32S&W Iver-Johnson pocket revolver (no hammer tail).

Poverty, but would get the job done... however, I have been 'seriously' looking at the Glock 30 (compact .45ACP), the CZ 75b (size?), or a Para-Ordnance LDA... pricey though.

Probably get the Neos and something with a safety on it, like the Beretta (92) or does the LDA have a safety?  read read read I am.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#33]
The LDA does indeed have a safety on it.  The trigger pull is very nice and it is a 1911 veriant, so you can't go wrong with that.  I love 1911's.

However, I'm also a big Glock fan, so I would vote for the Glock 30 or 36 for a carry gun.

Unfortunately I'm broke too, so I carry a fullsize 1911 or Glock 17.
Scott
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#34]
There is a guy here where I work that has a Springfield XD 40 Tactical (5" barrel) with four mags and a fobus holster for $450.00.  If you are interested email me and I will send you his contact info.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Go to a range where you can rent and try out difering hand guns. My personol experiance is that you should be 100% happy with wour hand gun even it that means that you nead to weight and save more money.  Second most ranges that rent will usuly be helpful with selecting one that fits your neads so you will not have to try everything under the sun, and if you find one you like you usuly can buy the rental for a discount.  At least you will know what you find to your liking and you can go to a gun show and look for the best deal.  

I owne a sig 229 and wave never ben happer!
good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top