Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 12:06:09 AM EDT
Hello...

Can onyone offer information on the Hungarian made FEG line of pistols?  I'm in the market for a new pistol and don't want to spend $600.  I've been hearing that the FEG 9mm pistols are High Power clones at half the price.  Also, I've heard from many people that they're decent, but some say they're a POS.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:32:21 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can find one, go for it.  They are not POS's.  They are functional, if slightly rough. Racking the slide on mine felt like dragging a cinder block down a gravel driveway.  The trigger was also horrendous, but removing the mag safety helped it immensely.

Just be sure to get the actual HP clone and not their homegrown designs.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#2]
The FEG's I have had are a great base gun.  I usually modify any guns anatomy a little and the round commander style hammer on most FEG's bites the hell out of my hands.  I have replaced hammers with the Cylinder and Slide Hi-power hammers and I have cut the round hammer to be bite free.  

The FEG's may lack a little in the fit and finish area, but you'll save several hundred bucks over a Browning in most cases, and you were going to work on it a little anyway, right!

I've seen several very nice custom guns made from FEG's and the end product is every bit as functional as a Browning.  I have Brownings too and their nice, but the FEG is a great value.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
i've had a feg model apk in .380 for a number of years.  milled, not cast, frame and slide.  high bright finish.  it is ppk clone.  shoots every time, no problems and acceptable accurate.  mcole
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
They're the Chevy in a world of Cadillacs, IMO. I've never heard of a FEG owner bitching about it.

You don't have to opt out of either/or. I bought my HP used to save boocoo bucks & I was glad I did. IMO, used is a great way for us poor slobs to acquire good quality firearms.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I would have to agree with most of the opinions.  I have owned An FEG B9R since 1994.  It fired every single time no matter if it was FMJ or Hydra-Shock ammo.  It is accurate for its price range and it's fit and finish is above average for the cost.

If you get a chance to try one before you buy would be best.  Also, I own an FEG PA-63.  While it is less expensive than the Browning Hi-power clones, it has a very heavy double-action pull and it won't fire hollow-points at all.  The Hi-powers would be a better choice for more versatile use.

Good Luck!

Rebel 13
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
will the aftermarket millitary hicaps work in the FEGs?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Mickeymouse,

They must differ a bit.  I like the gun I just can't shoot HP.  The HP flares uot a lillt towards the end and it is wider and gets caught in the mag.

I will load 1 round, no problem, but when I put 2-3-4 etc in, the first one gets stuck and if I turn the mag over, all the bullets just fall out.  This is on both mags.

Must be my mags, however a few other people on dif boards have experienced the same problem.

In regards to hi-cap mags, my B9R came with (2) 15 round mags (.380 caliber).
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thoughts on the FEG HP clone?...I kept mine and sold off 3 HP's.
My last 1989 BHP showed wear everytime I fired it!
My FEG shows no loosness through the years.
For a little over $200 or so, do it.
I wouldn't rely on hollow points out of the box, but runs 100% with FMJ or even lead loads.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
will the aftermarket millitary hicaps work in the FEGs?

Yes. I have the South African 17 rounders and they work fine with the FEG, though some aftermarket mags can be a pretty tight fit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#11]
You might want to look into the CZ-75 and others in the CZ line.  Excellent pistols and pretty much a derivative of the Hi-Power.  You can get them at a bargain price too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#12]
You can also look at the FM Hipowers made under FN contract in Argentinia.  SOG has the fullsize for $299 and FAC has the compact version for $240.99.  I just picked up one from FAC, $264.24 shipped to my dealer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#13]
What is FAC?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Federal Arms Corp, advertise in Shotgun News all the time.  Think their web address is www.gunsnstuff.net
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#15]
My FEG PJK hi-power knockoff was a mixed bag at first.  It kept failing to extract almost every second round, and the trigger pivot pin kept walking out.  A local smith staked the pin, but 2 trips back to KBI couldn't sort out the jamming... one of them was a barrel replacement.

I took dad's dremel, and polished the chamber the best I could, now it runs 100 percent on pretty much anything I can feed it.

The bluing wore off the edge of the backstrap, but I'll have it reblued somewhere for cheap.  As it stands right now, I have a pistol that I'd be perfectly happy to use for defensive purposes for a little over $200.

Just polish the chamber the day that you get it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...I took dad's dremel, and polished the chamber the best I could, now it runs 100 percent on pretty much anything I can feed it.

That reminds me.  My FEG HP clone had the most f_cked-up barrel crown I've ever seen on a pistol.  It looked like it was cut by an wall-eyed Afghani with a sharp rock.  I recrowned it and was rewarded with a noticeable improvement in accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#17]
FWIW- My FEG HPclone is GREAT!!! Mine has a very polished,blue finish (although its a bit thin) all HP parts I've tried drop in perfectly (the 17rnd mags from CDNN are great too). The trigger is best described as "crunchy" but range time has improved that. Mine has never experienced a FTF,FTE of any kind with well over 500 rounds (closer to 1000)through it. When I first got mine (about 3 years ago) I read a bunch of Internet chatter about a lack of proper heat treatment of the wearing parts but I have noticed NO galling or peening of any metal surfaces. I got mine for for a steal @$184 NIB/OTD. I have seen them lately at $200+tax but that is still a great value IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top