Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2004 2:51:10 AM EDT
For all the CCW holders out there how often do you practice with your CCW WEAPON?  I don't just mean actual shooting but include everything you do at home also ie. reloads, presentations, IAD's.  When I'm not in Korea (meaning have acces to weapon)  I practice about 2 hours a week at the house and shoot @ 100 rds. a week with just my CCW weapon.  When I shoot I do not just shoot 7yds static either, I shoot moving targets, shoot while moving, shoot from akward positions, strong hand only, and weak hand only.  I'm just curious to know if I practice more or less than others do.  Also who has had formal training other than courses required for there CCW.  I don't just mean the big names but any formal training at all.  Am I paranoid or am I lacking in my training?
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
When i'm off duty  i can usually be found at the local  indoor range. Either shooting, gunsmithing  or instructing.  It's my home away from home.
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#2]
a lot
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm competant with it but to you it's got cobwebs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Not trying to make anybody mad with the last poll vote, and I'm not saying if you don't practice with your CCW at least of 2 hours a week you're incompetent.  Just curious to the amount of hours other's invest.  I've met people who practice more than I do who are incompetent IMHO.  So I'm sure that some who practice less than me see me as incompetent
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Not enough, sadly.

Have taken a couple classes, including an outstanding one entitled Combative Pistol 1 from Jeff Gonzales of Trident Concepts ( www.tridentconcepts.com ). It's definitely not a basic course; you should have taken one or two entry level classes before enrolling, but I got tons out of it, as did all in the class.
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not enough, sadly

Ditto   Not enough live practice or IDPA time as I would like.   I am sometimes on the bottom end of the 2-4 hr. range.   Wish I could spend about 4hr. at least/week just shooting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot pretty much every weekend... I usually put 200 - 300 rounds through my CCW, PLUS that amount or more with my Walther P22 range plinker... the only exception is when its raining really bad... its an outdoor range in Jacksonville, FL.
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When i'm off duty  i can usually be found at the local  indoor range. Either shooting, gunsmithing  or instructing.  It's my home away from home.

I notice youre in Fla... anywhere near Jax?  If you teach I would definately be interested in one or more of your classes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 4:48:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I go to the range at least once a week and fire at least 200 rounds, if not more. I try to start with my .45 and work my way down to the .22. If I go to the outdoor range, I also try to fire my AR and my 12 guage.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:13:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I notice youre in Fla... anywhere near Jax?  If you teach I would definately be interested in one or more of your classes.

I'm 6-7 hours south of Jax.

J
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I try to start with my .45 and work my way down to the .22.

Is this so you can work on trigger pull?  I mean it sounds like a good way to check to see if fatigue causes you to anticipate the shot.  Just wondering.

-YJ
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I practice once a month at the local IDPA match whether I need it or not.  My scores show that I need more trigger time in between.  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#13]
My average indoor range visit goes about as follows: I spend around a little over an hour firing my non carry guns, and a good 2+ hours dedicated to my CCW.

I make it a part of my schedule to go once a week, and depending on how busy life is I usually make a second session one out of three weeks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm 6-7 hours south of Jax.

J

DOH ... why are the GOOD instructors always a long ass drive away???  Try as I might it there are just not any classes offered around Jax more advanced than the CCW class.

Thats why Im going all the way to Hollywood Florida next week for a 3 day series of classes.   ... six hour drive... sheesh
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I do around 30-45 minutes of dry-firing a day, about an average of four days a week.  Mostly stuff like "blind" magazine reloads, strong-side, weak side and offhand presentation.  Tactical magazine changes and speed magazine changes on the move, every direction (yeah, even backwards).  I just try to keep my head focused on what I am doing and ask myself afterwards why I was doing what I was doing.  I love having a partner while doing these, an extra set of almost-objective eyes is really useful.

I try to get as much bullet time as possible, as my job is mostly carbine work I have to find my own time for handgun drills.  I can usually afford a couple of ten-round drills a week.  When I don't have the ammo, dry with caps just has to do.  I try to push myself a little, distract myself with loud music that I don't like... things like that.  I don't have a CCW in this state yet (just got here three months ago) but when I do (in a year and-a-half) nice to know I'll be ready.

(edited for spelling)
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is this so you can work on trigger pull?  I mean it sounds like a good way to check to see if fatigue causes you to anticipate the shot.  Just wondering.

Nope. I shoot my best groups with the .45, so I shoot that first to bleed off the stress. After that I switch down to the SIG P229 .40S&W, which shoots my second best groups. I fire the P22 to unload .22 ammo
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I do dry-fire practice about two hours every week.  Trigger control, draw practice, reloads, stuff like that.  I only get to the range about once a month however.....  Just not enough time in the week.......  I try and put 200 rounds through the CCW weapons every month plus shoot the other toys but I just don't get as much range time as I'd like.  There is a reasonably close IPDA shoot every month that I've been meaning to get into......  Figure I could finally use the Tactical or the Mark 23 for something......
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 3:47:18 AM EDT
[#18]
wow this poll has so far been pretty interesting to me.  I guess 2-4 hours a week and cobwebs are where most of us are at.  Although I don't understand how the percentages equal way over 100%.  Any clue on that
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Two hours a month.  No where to shoot, no time to shoot, no money to shoot - I do some sight acquisition in the house, but wife gets creeped out by it.  I only do it when I'm home alone.  Not proud of it, but there it is.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I find that +/- 200 rounds every 4-6 weeks is the absolute minimum for me to feel comfortable with packing a compact 9mm.  I'd shoot more often, but 60-80 hour work weeks preclude that.  

For what its worth, I've had 2 armed, non-duty confrontations; both times I had adequate time to draw a weapon and assess the issues--so far, at least, I haven't gotten into any quick-draw yee-hah situations....  In my view, 99% of the utility of CCW is surprise on the bad guy and resources for myself.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#22]
aww, that practice crap is WAY overrated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top