Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 2:42:47 PM EDT
Title pretty much says it all.

Edit: I only have one DA auto and it is a CZ-38 .380 -- DA only.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I rarley leave my guns in DA when carrying. I do practice with my USP 45F sometimes, but not often because of just how bad the DA pull is and how much good ammo can cost. I practice alot more DA with my Baby Eagle compact in 9mm since the DA pull on mine is superb and ammo is half the cost as .45ACP. Etheir way, I'm decent with the DA pull on both, and if I had the time I'd cock the hammer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a USP45f but use it cocked and locked, I very rarely use it DA.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Obviously, I should have had an answer that delt with USPs, CZ-75, and other DAs that can be carried cocked and locked.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
My double action handguns are for carrying only.  My single action handguns are for carrying and target shooting.  I don't shoot the DA's that much because they're not as much fun at the range.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot all mine SA only.  Im just a hobby shooter & Im much more accurate in Sa than DA.
Its probably the same reason I dont have lights, lasers & multiple optics for my AR, I dont need all that to shoot cans & rats.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My double action handguns are for carrying only.  My single action handguns are for carrying and target shooting.  I don't shoot the DA's that much because they're not as much fun at the range.

I would think that you would want to practice a lot with your carry arm.

Also, when switching between Glocks and 1911s while shooting one-on-one duels, the different grip angles were very obvious. I don't see how someone could switch between the two and maintain a high level of performance with both, although granted I only seriously practice with 1911s. Likewise, for serious use I like to stick with trigger pulls that are similar.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I shoot all mine SA only.  Im just a hobby shooter & Im much more accurate in Sa than DA.
Its probably the same reason I dont have lights, lasers & multiple optics for my AR, I dont need all that to shoot cans & rats.

I have the feeling that there are lots of people like you, which is why I created the poll.

Lights, lasers, and optics on ARs cost a lot, unless you are buying junk. But you can practice using your weapons like they would really be used, and it doesn't cost extra. And it can be fun.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#8]
i don't own any DA autos, but I do shoot revolvers DA quite a bit. Last spring I had gotten halfway consistent on hand-tossed skeet w/ a DA revolver, but I haven't been practicing much w/ them lately.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#9]
i never could master the da/sa transition.  when i carried my cz75, i went conditon 0.  if you don't want it to go off, don't pull the trigger.  sorta like a glock....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
My only da/sa auto is a Beretta 92S, haven't shot it in over a year.  I guess I should sell it, but it's probably not worth much.  On the other hand my carry revolver is dao and I can shoot it just fine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]
When practicing at the range, the first round fired out of my pistol is DA, NO exceptions, period. Every time I practicing drawing from a holster/concealment, it is in the DA mode. The only time a first round is SA, is when I have done a reload during a course of fire. Occasionally, I will shoot entire magazines DA only.

Another thing is to practice DA shooting using your NON-dominant hand.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont have any DA's, and Ill be damned if I ever buy a DAO pistol.  DA makes my blood boil just thinking about it, grrr.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#13]
For those that have DA/SA autos that are used for carry, it is critical that the transition from DA to SA is practiced. I've seen too many people who only practice one way and are suprised when they take the 1st shot DA and try to follow it up with a SA shot. The difference in trigger feel either causes the SA shot to fire during trigger slack takeup, or it doesn't fire when expected and they start looking for a jam. Nothing worse than a gun not firing when you 'think' it should.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't have any DA weapons, they are all SA or DAO.  So I guess I'm in the clear...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
For those that have DA/SA autos that are used for carry, it is critical that the transition from DA to SA is practiced. I've seen too many people who only practice one way and are suprised when they take the 1st shot DA and try to follow it up with a SA shot. The difference in trigger feel either causes the SA shot to fire during trigger slack takeup, or it doesn't fire when expected and they start looking for a jam. Nothing worse than a gun not firing when you 'think' it should.

BIG +1!

Back when I carried a DA/SA as my primary handgun I would practice by drawing and firing DA first, followed by at least one but no more than two SA shots.  Then I would reset, reholster, and start over.   I was always more accurate in SA mode anyway, so I figured why practice 1 DA shot and one DA-to-SA transition for every 15 shots.  My way, I got 5 DA shots and transitions per mag.

My primary carry gun for the past 10 years or so has been a Glock - same trigger pull each time, no transition.  Eliminating the DA/SA transition wasn't my reason for switching to the Glock, but I must admit it has been a plus.  YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#16]
My serious sidearms are all SA autos (everything else is pretty much a family heirloom), and I practice a draw followed by 2- 3 shots mostly. My feeling is that it is all going to be over in < 2 secs anyway. I tend to think this would be even more imporatant with a DA/SA type, as several pointed out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BIG +1!

Back when I carried a DA/SA as my primary handgun I would practice by drawing and firing DA first, followed by at least one but no more than two SA shots.  Then I would reset, reholster, and start over.   I was always more accurate in SA mode anyway, so I figured why practice 1 DA shot and one DA-to-SA transition for every 15 shots.  My way, I got 5 DA shots and transitions per mag.

My primary carry gun for the past 10 years or so has been a Glock - same trigger pull each time, no transition.  Eliminating the DA/SA transition wasn't my reason for switching to the Glock, but I must admit it has been a plus.  YMMV, of course.

I just practice DA to SA on the first shot  clear of the leather - I don't tend to even notice the DA to SA change anymore at IDPA matches, or much when shooting.  What I do notice is the difference in trigger reset between my Smith 4506 (very short trigger reset) and my Sig P239 (fairly long trigger reset).  I ended up giving up the very useful technique of only using the trigger reset space - any gains in habitual  speed and accuracy on the 4506 are nullified by  habitual failure to successfully  let the trigger forward enough to go BANG when pulled again on the P239.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When practicing at the range, the first round fired out of my pistol is DA, NO exceptions, period. Every time I practicing drawing from a holster/concealment, it is in the DA mode. The only time a first round is SA, is when I have done a reload during a course of fire. Occasionally, I will shoot entire magazines DA only.

Another thing is to practice DA shooting using your NON-dominant hand.

Glad to know I am not the only one that does this.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top