Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 12:38:38 PM EDT
I am interested in the .223 and .308 pistol.  I don't see them at my local ranges.  I have no idea how a rifle round would recoil in a pistol.  How does it feel?

The 12" or 15" barrel with a muzzle brake might be manageable.  I'm a small guy.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If you get the .308 barrel, definately get one witha brake!

.223 is quite manageable without one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot my wife uncles 30/30 it was less recoil than my 6'' colt king cobra was with a light load you can shoot one handed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Recoil is soley dependant on what caliber and power level you're shooting. A TC with a 223 barrel is going to recoil way less than one with a 4570 barrel. The key to shooting rifle caliber cartridges in a handgun is to handload. Off the shelf ammo is designed around a barrel length of over 16 inches. Shorter than that and you're wasting powder. Also, you'll need to think about shooting the lighter bullets as well. With a fast powder and a relatively light bullet, you can get some impressive results out of a rifle caliber in a handgun. There's lots more that goes into this and it can be very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
A good friend of mine hunts with an Encore on .308. It's awesome. He equipped it with a Bullberry bull barrel and it's recoil is tame if you ask him. It is a big barrel though and is quite heavy. He killed a nice 8 pointer with it this year. The bullet never exited but it broke the shoulder and it had a chest full of jello. Nice work. I'm thinking about one in 300wsm myself!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top