Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 6:20:18 PM EDT
Thinking of getting rid of the ILS and want to know how "drop in" friendly an Ed Brown is with a springy. If there is fitting that is required, what would that consist of? Also, what spring weight should I get if I keep every other spring stock?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:10:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay now the "why replace the ILS" question ??  

My GI has the goofy system, it's a fun gun though and not a primary carry piece.    Of course any handgun may be pressed into service and I'm open for suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:29:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never locked the system since I've owned it.   Is there anything in there prone to getting stuck or malfunction if you never lock it in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:31:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I took mine out of my  SA GI champion.

Cost about $25 and took 15 minutes.

Trigger is a BIT smoother now(different spring) , and I just FEEL like it's more reliable now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've never locked the system since I've owned it.   Is there anything in there prone to getting stuck or malfunction if you never lock it in the first place?

You can replace the components with regular ones, and then use a lighter mainspring, and your trigger pull with be lighter and smoother.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#8]
My buddy put an S&A mag well in my Kimber once, and he needed to file some of the edges slightly to get everything to work. It was really simple though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the Smith & Alexander Arched Main Spring Housing, make sure you take a rubber band and wrap it around the grip safety before you do take the old MSH out
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I use the Smith & Alexander Arched Main Spring Housing, make sure you take a rubber band and wrap it around the grip safety before you do take the old MSH out

Why?

Once every 5 or so range outings I detail-strip my 1911...including cleaning the sear, disconnector, and wiping down/relubing the trigger bows. I never had to rubber-band anything on a 1911. Then again, I could probably re-assemble one blindfolded at this point..or at least in a murky room

If you've detail-striped the 1911 before and hate putting the hammer back on with the MSH in place, happy fun tip: Pop the hammer on first. Slide up the MSH until the strut is just about on the plunger (before you can put the pin in), then fit the grip safety..and slide that MSH into place. You can hold it in with one hand and start the MSH retaining pin easily. Makes re-assembly a snap. Biggest PITA is lining up the sear and disconnector holes..

Yes, I get dorky when it comes to taking things apart and putting 'em back together...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top