Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2002 8:44:40 AM EDT
I just picked up a SA Mil-Spec and I'm in the process of receiving my CCW.  Now i'm looking for a good holster.  I am a t-shirt and jeans/shorts kind of guy so a shoulder holster is out of the question.  I was checking out the small-of-back holsters and I found a Galco one that seemed pretty good.  Looks are my last priority.  I want something that is going to be practical and as comfortable as possible.

BTW, I know 1911's are big to carry, but that's why I like them.  So, to all you tupperware huggers...SHOOO SHOOO...GET GET!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Just my opinion, but I (RH'd) carry a compact 1911 everyday in a $5 padded nylon w/ steel clip holster cross-draw in front left of jeans. IMHO full size 1911 while not too comfy is best carried in same manner (and yea I've done that on occassion.

As former CHL instructor I carried for a week each, in every position imaginable. Small of the back and strong side place weapon out-side normal perephrial vision and I spot more handguns carried this way than Carter has liver-pills. Small of the back while cool looking is one that "prints" worst of all and a fall on the back can give ya permanent back problems.

Cross-draw front has the advantage of givin you control over your pistol, not someone who slips up on ya from behind and is accessible while seated on my scoot or auto. As well as providing the ability to SEE when your printing.

BTW, I do own several hundered dollars worth of leather and Kydex type holsters and none is as user friendly as cross-draw front when ya have to go #2, (and there is nothing more embarassing than havin your piece hit the bathroom floor when ya go to drop trow, trust me).

My 2 cents,
Mike  
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  Any recommendation on brand and model?
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#3]
falkaveli, I got the one I'm using from CheaperThanDirt.com, but any proper size cheapo "padded" nylon type sold at anyone of the 100s of gunshows will suffice.

Mike

PS - the padded ones really help keep the barrel and front sight of the full size from diggin into your leg, and make sure the top is large enough to allow rear sights of your pistol to rest INSIDE, which keeps them from diggin into your mid-section so bad when seated.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds perfect since i'm heading to a gun show this weekend.  Another quick question if you have the time, would you recommend paddle or belt slide.  I was checking out the paddle holsters b/c I would think it would be convenient to be able to take it off at times.  Especially for me who attends a university and can't take it on campus.  I would hate to have to undo my belt every time I arrive and leave.  Let me know your opinion.  Thanks Wilson.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have Kydex paddle holsters for both 1911s and Glocks and Kydex belt slides for Glocks and leather belt slides (of several types) for my 1911s.

Also have IWB leather types for both 1911s and Glocks and high dollar shoulder rigs for the 1911s. Ya can spend a fortune on leather rigs, just be sure to take care of 'em and they'll last a life-time or 2.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Anything from Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks or Galco. Stay away from SOB holsters. I currently use the Mitch Rosen ARG-DL. Love it. It is a bit pricey, but worth every penny. Galco has one comparable called the NSA, for me draw back is it has a clip the belt slips under. my preference is for it to be attached to the belt. You spent the money on a descent gun, now get a descent holster.

Sean
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry a full size 1911 everyday in either a Milt Sparks Summer Special or Alessi/Burns GWH. Both of these IWBs would be a fine choice should you choose that mode of carry. The GWH is a bit pricey but well worth it IMO and with a budget in mind I don’t think you can go wrong with the Summer Special... there very well may be no better IWB holster for under $70. Others have had success with the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 or Watch-6 IWBs but they never worked that well for me... too much holster and/or too much weight. Another style of holster that’s been around for quite some time is the Bruce Nelson “#1”. You can find this holster sewn by many different holster makers under many different model names like the Sparks 55BN or Nelson Legacy. Lou Alessi makes the DOJ and the ACP and Kramer makes the Vertical Scabbard. These are just a few but all hold true to the basic design that Bruce Nelson pioneered over 25 years ago.  There is a plethora of talented holster makers out there, all of them offering time tested designs that would be worth you while to check out. The ones listed above are just a few that have worked for me over the years. Do remember that possibly even more important that the holster is the belt supporting it. A good gun belt can make a substandard holster work but the opposite does not hold true. Do yourself a favor and spend a few dollars on a quality gun belt made by a reputable maker. A department store belt won’t do the job, at least not for long, so while your checking out the Sparks and Alessi gear give their belts a good once over.

I would stay away from any S.O.B. or M.O.B. holsters. They’re too dangerous in my opinion as the draw stroke is too cumbersome and generally causes one to sweep some part of their body as the pistol is drawn. Safely drawing the pistol while seated would almost require one be a contortionist. Many manufactures won’t even produce an S.O.B./M.O.B. holster due to safety concerns. These same concerns have lead most of the shooting schools around the country to ban their students from using an S.O.B./M.O.B. holster while attending classes.  Another concern is caused by the placement of the holster. Should one take a fall or some type of impact on their lower back the position of the gun could lead to severe spinal damage.      
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I will second or third the Milt Sparks Summer Special. I can carry a 1911A1 all day long in one at about 3:15 (over the watch pocket) and hardly notice it. In this position the holster points rearward when you sit and you can drive all day with it. When I tried the Milt Sparks Summer Special just behind the hip it bothered me while driving. I have yet to try any of Lou Alessi's holsters for 45acps but if they are like his others they are great. I use and endorse Lou Alessi's holsters and if you talk to him you will like him. Regards, Richard
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
After years of searching for the best way to conceal a 1911 I found whats perfection for me, the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 in black horsehide.  I can literally conceal a full size Government model under a T-shirt (doesnt hurt that Im 6ft,220).  You may wait awhile to get one, and you'll be paying for the quality you are getting, but its more than worth it.

www.miltsparks.com
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Bianchi Pro (100 I think) works well for IWB and can be canted forward with a 1911 and jeans. Easily covered with a shirt. Took some time to break in though as it would 'Barney Fife' until it stretched some.

Also like the M.O.B. from Galco. Not a quick-draw, but easy to hide.

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#12]
www.heinie.com

This holster is made exclusively for Heinie Specialty Products by Lou Alessi of Alessi Holster, Inc. It's what I use and they are great!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Right now I am using an Alessi IWB model.  It is well made and seems to work, but I wish the belt loop had snaps or something on it instead of being the "thread-through" sort.

The best place to carry a 1911 for me is IWB, right side, slightly in front of my back pocket.  This position gives the best combination of comfort, concealment, and accessibility (though reaching for my wallet can be tricky).

I tried a SOB holster and found them very uncomfortable when driving.  Plus I agree with others' safety concerns.

I prefer the "FBI cant" which basically does nothing more than getting the butt of the gun more in line vertically with the body to reduce the tendency to print.  Having a "flap" to shield your tender flesh from the thumb safety area is also a big plus.

I can recommend Alessi and Hume for IWB, as well as Dillon leather (probably the best bang for the buck). Safariland also makes a good regular belt holster but aren't too concerned with concealment.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Any experience with the Bianchi Model 59?  I am looking for paddle and i'll most likely wear it cross draw.  Seems like the most comfortable for me.  I'm a pretty skinny guy, so its hard for me to find a position without much print.

www.southwestweapons.com/bianhols5.htm#model%2059
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#15]
www.kirkpatrickleather.com

If you like leather these are great holsters.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I had an IWB holster that was tuckable (you can tuck your shirt in on the outside of the gun).  Very concealable, good holster.  The only problem is that someone broke in a stole my Kimber about two months ago.  I have no need for the holster, so if you want I'd be willing to sell it.  

Its made by Aker and its called the Buisnessman.  I got mine through Delta Force.

www.akerleather.com
www.deltaforce.com
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Milt Sparks EX for $77.50:

www.miltsparks.com/

Don't forget that a good gunbelt is a MUST!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Best money I ever spent on a holster was when I got a Galco Royal Guard LH for my SA Compact.  Got it for $65 in 1997.  It'll cost ya about 1/3 more today.  IWB straps on to the belt, FBI cant, and rough-side out. Great coat holster.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone use DeSantis anymore?

OSA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top