Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2003 4:55:58 PM EDT
Hello all!!
I've gotten hold of a friends 1911 and I know very little about these guns. Its a shame I've never gotten more familiar with them. Hes just wanting to know more about the pistol. Date of manuf, Value etc. It would great if anyone here could tell us more about it. Serial # is 37XX I know this is a pretty low colt..
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Does the frame say Colt on it? Because if the serial number is really “37xx” the frame is not a Colt. That low of a serial number would indicate a 1st year production USGI 1911 (not 1911A1) and the frame pictured came from a 1911A1.

What roll marks are on the frame? And if it is a USGI frame as it appears to be what inspectors mark is stamped above the magazine release on the left side of the frame?

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The only other markings on the frame are a 20 and a triangle with something in it. These marks are on the top of the trigger guard on different sides.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#3]
WWII GI grips...long trigger...short tang, looks like some parts were swapped through the years.
Strange mark on the trigger.
The frame wear seems to match the slide's wear, could be fairly recent holster type pits.
Hopefully, it's a Colt frame, that in itself holds some value.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, a 1911A1 USGI Colt frame should be stamped “G.H.D.” on the left side of the frame just above the magazine release. The lack of that marking combined with the serial number would indicate the frame probably is not a Colt.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello,
I have owned Auto Ordinance,Norinco,AMT Hardballer and now own a Springfield Armory 1911A1 "Fully loaded". It is by far the best .45 auto I have ever owned. In my opinion, I see no reason to by a cheaper 1911 and then spend $200 to $400 to have a gunsmith work on it and make it the way you want. I bought my Springfield for $650 o.t.d and it is the most accurate .45 I ever seen. I highly recommend the Springfield. I have read all of the posts for your question. This is my experience and my recomendation. At least look into it before buying something else becauses it is cheap. You want to buy something that will cost you nothing else to alter and will last a life time. My 2cents worth...thedr
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:55:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a Colt 1911a1, With the glare in the photo it's hard to see any proof marks and inspection stamps but the marks you describe are colt proof marks. There should be a "P" next to the mag release button and an inspector stamp below slide release " could be WB, RB, GHD. " The Colt 1911a1's start at serial 700,000. It's not uncommon to see GI 45's that people stole from the military and removed markings and altered the serial # . Colt A1 serial # should look like " No.xxxxxx ".
Definatly have it looked at by someone who knows military 45's before your friend messes with it, I sold a very similiar looking Colt 1911a1 for $ 800 receantly !
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all that have helped. I wasn't sure what to think about the gun. Here is the marks that are on it after looking a little harder.

VP in triangle upper trigger guard looks like a 3 above it.

20 on upper trigger guard opposite side of VP

Serial # 37XX

Colt patented slide

R stamped on the frame under the slide above right grip in front of hammer.

Barrel is marked COLT 45 AUTO with a P under it

Thats about it!! took gun apart and thats the only marking I can find. I will try to take it to someone and see if I can get any more info.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not too familiar with the Colt models, but that's a lot of good info.

Maybe go over to the CSP boards (www.jouster.com) and ask in the Service Pistol board.

Maybe the frame is from a Sistema?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top