Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2002 12:48:00 PM EDT
I need some help identifying a Luger and a SW for a widow. She wants to sell them but she does not no what is worth and does not want to get ripped off. I haven't seen it but do have some info.

Luger Built in 1938, grips are buck horn, has the word Frenzite on it. All numbers match. Bluing is very good. Comes with a holster. There is a German crest on the gun and hoister.

Smith and Wesson is a 32 cal break top. 4 digit serial number. Good shape.

Anyone know what they are worth?

I have tried looking on the web but the prices seem all over the place. It was hard to find average price for a 1938 Luger.  Is there anything I need to look for that makes the Luger worth more?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Please post a scan of the Luger if you can.
A dated 1938 Luger is most likely made by Mauser. Krieghoff is a possibility, but pretty remote. What is the mark on the toggle top?
Do ALL the small parts numbers match throughout the gun? Have you torn it down completely to check? Has the gun been refinished? What is the mag marked? Does the holster have the spare mag and loading tool?
You say the grips have been changed, this is a minus, not a plus. Does she have the originals?
Is the holster original? Or a repro? What are the marks on the back of the holster?
And I have never heard of "frenzite". Maybe an importer? Where is this mark? On the grips, or on the gun?
Value on Lugers depends on a multitude of factors. Best to show it to an expert, or get a LOT of scans to show us here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi, 89. As far as the Smith goes, many times I have had to look at one the owner thought was a Smith and turned out to be an Iver Johnson because they read the barrel that said "32 S&W" and assumed it was the brand. It is just the caliber. See if it has an Owl or S&W logo on the grips. Some Smiths can be valuable but I.J.s were common and not too great to begin with. For her sake, I hope it is a Smith and Wesson. On the luger, Frenzite, I think was an aftermarket grip maker, before my time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top