Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/17/2005 5:56:26 PM EDT
Hi. I decided to take apart my Sig P228 tonight for a detailed cleaning. I striped down the frame completely. All went well accept the magazine catch. I put the magazine catch detent in wrong. Now the magazine catch does not work and I can’t get it out to fix it. Damn!

The detent holds the mag catch in. It has a shoulder on one side like a half-sphere. I put the shoulder facing to the right if you are looking at the gun from the muzzle. It goes in facing the left. What can I do aside from pounding the whole thing out and ruining my frame? There must be others out there that have done this. Please help. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:16:04 AM EDT
now if i understand you correctly you pushed the entire mag catch stop pin (part #46, that holds the mag release in place) into the frame? I've never done that with mine beforebut i can see how it could happen. I'm not sure, but could you remove the support plate (part #44) and pull the mag release out that way? If not, you can order a new mag release from sig for about 24 dollars... I'm not sure how comfortable you feel with drilling out your jammed mag release, but a titanium drill bit in the middle of the mag release button only needs be about 1.5 to 2 millimeters deep to disrupt that little catch stop spring. (part #47) after you drill out the spring, that little pin wont have the pressure it needs to hold the mag release in place... that's the only thing i can think of. If all else fails, i'm sure the sig gunsmiths could find a way to fix it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:23:59 AM EDT
Yes you have the situation correct. The mag catch detent is fully behind the frame. I am going to try getting it out using an automotive feller gauge. If that does not work drilling might be a possibility if I can find a replacement mag catch. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:14:15 PM EDT
I poped it out useing a very thin feeler guage and a few taps on a hammer. Thanks SIG fourms
Top Top