Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 5:48:46 AM EDT
Hi!

My safe is a mess and it's time to 'spruce' it up a tad. I have handguns just layin on the shelves. I have one of the large liberty safes. I've seen racks, & holsters for the door.

So what method do you use? pics?

Travis

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:40:50 AM EDT
I use the pistol racks from Brownells to store my handguns.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:51:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NateM4:
I use the pistol racks from Brownells to store my handguns.

Do you have a part number for it?

A few weeks ago I called Brownells for my boss to buy a few things, and when I asked about pistol racks, they tried to sell me a firing pin. I gave-up and called back later. The woman I talked to again insisted that a pistol rack was a firing pin. I thought that was crazy until I just went to their web site after reading your post, did a search for "pistol rack," and it returned a list of firing pins.z
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:06:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 8:10:09 AM EDT by C-4]
Is the inside of the door carpeted? I use those velcro 'holsters' that attach to the carpeting. Is it awesome. You would think they are flinsy but I have a 6" revolver and full-sized semi-autos that won't budge. You can keep all your pistols on the inside of the door. Very convenient.

I found this picture to give you a better idea. The holsters I have use velcro to attach it to the inner door.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:10:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 8:10:46 AM EDT by AssaultRifler]
I have a gun rug for each gun, keep the rug unzipped part way, then just let the gun rugs lean against each other like books on a library shelf. I then alphabetize my guns by manufacturer and subsort by caliber ! sounds anal but when they're in gun rugs you can't see them. When going to the range I just grab a pistol or 2 or 3 gun rug and all and I'm good to go!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:13:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 8:15:17 AM EDT by nationwide]
I use a rack, and I think I'm going to go to the "gun rug" school of orginization though...

I have a small safe (Sentry 10 gun) and I just don't have enough room as it is... I need to better utilize my space. PLUS, there are some really nice gun rugs out there that I need an excuse to purchase!

ETA: Pic shows the poor use of space...

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:23:25 AM EDT
Wouldn't the gun rug hold moisture?

Nationwide, Is that rack from Cabelas?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:29:30 AM EDT

Tagged for ideas.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:30:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By packnru:

Nationwide, Is that rack from Cabelas?

1) Yes, but only if there is moisture present to begin with

2) Yes, and so it the 4 gun model I have as well... both will be on the EE later...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:43:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By C-4:
Is the inside of the door carpeted? I use those velcro 'holsters' that attach to the carpeting. Is it awesome. You would think they are flinsy but I have a 6" revolver and full-sized semi-autos that won't budge. You can keep all your pistols on the inside of the door. Very convenient.

mypeoplepc.com/members/idsman75/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gunsafepics.jpg

I found this picture to give you a better idea. The holsters I have use velcro to attach it to the inner door.

C-4 - where is the best place to get these? interesting
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:07:47 PM EDT
I use the shelves that came in my safe and also bought a six gun rack from Cabela's. I like the rack. When I expand and buy a bigger safe, I'm going to get more racks.
I must say, I do like the idea of mounting your knives on the door! That is a good idea!!!
I'll have to drink one for you on that one....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 3:18:53 PM EDT by rocko]
Pegboard on the door.

Before that, a dish drying rack that is more or less just like the pistol racks previously mentioned, except costing 80% less. Something like below, except this looks bigger:

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:06:24 PM EDT
Those wire gun racks are nice, but pricey.

I use vertical paper dividers I got at an office surplus sale, you can get plastic or metal ones.
I can fit 10 guns across the top of my safe, with mags stored behind each gun in it's slot.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:15:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 7:17:56 PM EDT by C-4]

Originally Posted By TravisAasen:

I bought a Fort Knox safe and the 'holsters' came with it. But I know you can buy them separately.

This is what it looks like:

www.ftknox.com/redesign/accessories/index.htm#Door%20Holster

Give them a call. It's real slick. ETA: The holsters stick to the carpeting. At the gun store where I bought the safe, the guy put a huge pistol into one of the holsters and slammed the door shut and the pistol did not come off. It's just another way to skin a cat. Others have posted great ideas but this has worked for me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:15:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By packnru:

Like nationwide said, if it's there to begin with, plus I keep desicant in the safe and keep the gun rugs partially unzipped
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:19:13 PM EDT

I bought a Fort Knox safe and the 'holsters' came with it. But I know you can buy them separately.

This is what it looks like:

www.ftknox.com/images/Accessories/Door%20Pistal%20Rack3.gif

www.ftknox.com/redesign/accessories/index.htm#Door%20Holster

Give them a call. It's real slick. ETA: The holsters stick to the carpeting. At the gun store where I bought the safe, the guy put a huge pistol into one of the holsters and slammed the door shut and the pistol did not come off. It's just another way to skin a cat. Others have posted great ideas but this has worked for me.

Thanks! I love all the suggestions. I have my pride and joy coming back from Bill Adairs resotoration on Tuesday. A 1932 Commercial COlt 1911. I need to have a nice cushy spot for her!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:25:19 PM EDT
All but one handgun in my safe is in the factory box or a gun rug.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:49:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 2:49:58 PM EDT by AssaultRifler]
Like I said, the library book/gun rug method:

Note opened gun rugs and random dessicant
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:11:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nationwide:
I use a rack, and I think I'm going to go to the "gun rug" school of orginization though...

I have a small safe (Sentry 10 gun) and I just don't have enough room as it is... I need to better utilize my space. PLUS, there are some really nice gun rugs out there that I need an excuse to purchase!

ETA: Pic shows the poor use of space...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/nationwide/guns/pistol_rack.jpg

I have the same safe and it works well!

I added two wire racks below the two normal racks to hold ammo, mags and handguns. I have other small pistol safes in other areas of the house.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:33:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 11:35:03 AM EDT by ken_mays]
For my door, I devised a rack that uses dowels... the gun's placed on the rack by inserting the dowel in the barrel.

For my shelves, I use those Sack-Ups (gun socks) and stack them next to each other like books on a shelf. The Sack-Ups are much less bulky than the gun rugs, while keeping the guns from scratching each other. When it's range time, I toss the sacked pistols into my range bag.

The nice thing about this method is that even if you run short of gun socks, you can still place a naked pistol between two that are wearing socks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:57:03 AM EDT
I use a small dish rack coated in white rubber that I paid $4.00 for but it is not as heavy duty as the one shown erlier made for pistols and takes a little tweaking.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:02:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 12:03:12 PM EDT by Lumpy196]
I was a cheap-ass. I bought a couple rubber-covered wire plate racks at walmart.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:13:38 PM EDT
I've always used gun rugs and never had a rust problem. I oil the hand gun well before putting it inside the gun rug.

I lock the gun rugs inside the safe.

Colt_SBR
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:24:41 PM EDT
I just set them all side by side on thier slides no racks, no rugs. I ain't that fussy
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:03:10 PM EDT

mypeoplepc.com/members/idsman75/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gunsafepics.jpg

MidwayUSA sells some special veltro strips by Browning that do the same thing but are more versatile.
Top Top