Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 3:35:24 PM EDT
As a 1911 owner I feel lucky to have a close friend and shooting partner that is a talented machinest and gunsmith. If this individual was not available to keep my 1911 in top condition I would hesitate to own one. I did have one 1911 that I took out of the box and never had a single problem with, it was a Kimber Tactical 5inch,but for $900 it should work, all of the other ones needed some attention.

Do you have someone like this or do you do your own gunsmithing? Or do you take it out of the box and shoot it with no gunsmith assistance, if so what models have you had good luck with?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I am drinking with them right now.  Me, myself, and I.

Kimbers, perfect luck.  Colts, bad luck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I do my own work, and to add, right out of the box, factory built units are completely stripped down and checked for fit and finish. To be truthful, in my last few 1911 type pistols factory built (read trying to save money on replacement parts and just bought the pistols loaded), I have seen more crap that should have cleaned up by the assemblers than I dare to mention. Granted that the pistols may have ran from the start, but when it’s on my time, might have run is not a option.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I work on my own stuff.  I build a few here and there.

I think if it's a good pistol, it shouldn't need to have a smith come with it though.

I have heard of a really qualified smith in AZ as well......
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the greatest undiscovered smith working on my colt right now.....   He lurks around here.

Big shout out to Hobbs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I know a REALY GOOD smith, unfortunetly he lives in AZ and I don't

Speaking of 1911 smithing...

This Springfield humped grip safety is gonna make me nuts!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I should never complain that I have large hands.  All those large safetys and arched mainspring housings are just great for me.

I have a gunsmith at a semi-local store I visit.  Sometimes I just go there to chat with him and discuss items of intrest.  Store rule is no more than one item out of the case at a time....Last time I was there, John and I had the whole 1911 collection out on the counter. (most likely about 30+ guns)  Then we started talking about when R. Lee Ermy came into the store and he and John started tossing military insults at each other.   I'd go into what they were, but we'll save that for another time.  I think John likes it when I stop by, he gets a break from having to work.  I don't think he minds "looking" like he's working and goofing off.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top