Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2002 5:00:33 PM EDT
What oil/cleaning oil should I use on my HK USP? And recommendations? Break-Free? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently started using aeresol CLP on recommendation by a friend. One step, cleans, lubes and protects. No problems and works good.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Break free CLP (cleaner,lubricant and Preservative) works good for me . I like it because it doesn't stink up the house like hopps does.

MeRrY ChRiStMaS [<|:D>]
Jerry
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
 I like it because it doesn't stink up the house like hopps does.
HEY! I wondered if Hoppes would ever come out with their own line of aftershave!
It was even better with the old benzene formula!

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I use BreakFree (or mil-surp CLP) for most everything.  It's my general purpose oil / cleaner.  For areas needing grease, I use Tetra's grease.  For areas needing a really slick oil, I use Tetra's oil.  When I need to remove copper fouling, I use Sweet's 7.62 solvent.  When the whole gun is just awfully filthy --like a cosmoline-packed rifle-- I will use Ed's Red like I buy it by the gallon (which is, in fact, the case).

Seems simple enough.  I wonder why I have a truckload of oils, greases, and solvents.  

Oh yeah, I remember: because I'm a gun oil junkie.

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Tetra gun oil and gun grease, most often some times FP10
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I use Militec exclusively. Break free is good but it can penetrate the cartridge and cause an ammo malfuntion if you leave too much in the gun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Just trying out some of the new FP-10. Far superior to good old Breakfree CLP.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#8]
fp-10 give great samples too...
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
HEY! I wondered if Hoppes would ever come out with their own line of aftershave!
It was even better with the old benzene formula!

True story:  I had a room mate in college who used to put a little Hoppes behind each ear before he went out, no other colonge.  He NEVER came home alone.  I'm not saying the two things are related ...but ya never know.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Butch's bore shine and Kroil oil, USP bore paste for the powder fouling, but I bought a ton of the stuff(for my bolt rifles) when it was on sale and I am too cheap to buy anything else.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Calvin Kline "Eternity for Men."  Makes the gun smell great too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I stopped using CLP on my handguns. I prefer to clean them as a seperate step w/ good ole Hoppe's and lube w/ Breakfree LP. It's more viscous (without the cleaner) so it won't ooze over everything and make a mess if i put a little too much on (something i have a problem doing). It can be a bit hard to find so I have to buy mine on-line from Natchezz(sp?).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top