Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2003 8:33:33 AM EDT
What is a decent brand of gun oil to use on a Glock 30?  I target practice in the desert so I need something that won't attract dust and crap.  Anyone know of anything that would work?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Try the Rem Dry Lube.

If you use enough of it over time the coating will be fused with the metal srfaces and really have a great dry lubrication for desert applications.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Used the above (Rem Dry Lube), just last month while on vacation in NM, worked very well, as I was traveling dusty mountain trails on the 4 wheeler most days and toting my AR. There was lots of dust and dirt daily, but AR worked fine despite it.

FWIW, and as posted by others, this type of enviroment is no place for Thermomold/Orlite AR15 mags, USGI only. Plastic mags and dust and dirt do not work well together.

BTW, your Glock has a "patented Tenifer" impregnated finish and should work well completely dry, IIRC.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The Glock requires so little lubrication anyway that you are unlikely to attract any significant amount of dirt that would stop the functioning of the pistol.  I'd stick with BreakFree CLP.

1 drop on each slide rail.  1 drop under barrel locking lug.  1 drop in the trigger assembly where the trigger bar and connector slide against each other.

BreakFree CLP is still the most likely of all lubricants to overcome any amount of dust/dirt it attracts.  Military tests have proven this.

If you ABSOLUTOLEY just don't want to use BF CLP and don't want to attract dust, go with Mil-comm TW-25B.  This stuff will stay where you put it, and if you wipe it off it still lubes nicely and won't attract dirt.  You do have to follow the application instructions though, all traces of previous lube must be wiped off with alcohol and Mil-comm MC-25 cleaner so that the TW-25B can bond with the metal.  It also protects from rust almost as good as CLP.

Avoid Militec-1 incase anyone has recommended it to you.  It does nothing to protect against rust and in the military's own tests it had more jams than just running the firearm dry.

Eezox is also another very good CLP, I find it's not as good of a lube as BF CLP, but it is a better protectant.  However BF CLP does plenty to protect and unless you plan on storing your firearms for 5+ years without reapplication, Breakfree is probably the better choice.  It is wet just like BF CLP and therefore probably will attract dust.

I've done my own lab tests on BF CLP, Eezox CLP, TW-25B, MC-2500, and Militec-1 to test for lubrication effectiveness, protection from rust, restistance to heat, human handling, long-term staying ability, and dust attraction (and lubricity after dirt/dust attraction).  BreakFree CLP came out tops for all-purpose including dust.  TW-25B thick for marine environments.  Eezox for long term storage.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]
My testing showed EEZOX on top!  Way on top!  With BF next in line but behind by two weeks.  Militec won't protect at all but I have to differ in that it is a good lube regardless.  BF's lubing abilites will get you through fine if your not out in the rain and muck for weeks at a time.  Once the cleaner in EEZOX evaporates it dries to the touch and still protects.  BF just goes away......  BF is far thinner these days and collects dust like crazy IMO.  EVERYTHING sticks to it.  

In a Glock none of this matters since it will hardly rust and takes VERY little lube
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
i clean with CLP and lube with either FP10 or militec
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My testing showed EEZOX on top!  Way on top!  With BF next in line but behind by two weeks.  Militec won't protect at all but I have to differ in that it is a good lube regardless.  BF's lubing abilites will get you through fine if your not out in the rain and muck for weeks at a time.  Once the cleaner in EEZOX evaporates it dries to the touch and still protects.  BF just goes away......  BF is far thinner these days and collects dust like crazy IMO.  EVERYTHING sticks to it.  

In a Glock none of this matters since it will hardly rust and takes VERY little lube

Protection properties are not the only consideration.  Eezox is a pretty good lubricant but it is not as good as BF CLP for lubricating.  If protection is first and lubrication second, go Eezox (target shooters, etc.).  If it's lubrication first and protection second go BreakFree CLP (LE, Military, etc.).
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems to me that the US Army studies from Iraq, showed that Break-Free CLP attracted dust and sand and caused problems in the AR-15's and the Beretta pistols, both of which required environmental cleanliness and lubrication, more than the AK-47's they oppsoed. If I am not mistaken, that was the problem with the support unit that resulted in captures/deaths...the Pvt.Jessica Lynch-unit. Perhaps in a less hostile environment (absent from a great deal of dust and sand), the Break-Free CLP works better than most others. I posted about a month or two ago on the Beretta section of the handgun forum on that problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree on the protection issue however I found EEZOX to be a better lube as well and at the least as good as BF.  My rifle ran dry of lube with BF before the EEZOX dissapeared into the carbon.  BF also runs everywhere in the rifle when rounds are fired.  Using very little to avoid this nullifies many of BF's attributes.  eezox stays put, even when a bit overlubed.  Rub the two between your fingers with force and it gives the idea.  Not scientific of course
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Seems to me that the US Army studies from Iraq, showed that Break-Free CLP attracted dust and sand and caused problems in the AR-15's and the Beretta pistols, both of which required environmental cleanliness and lubrication, more than the AK-47's they oppsoed. If I am not mistaken, that was the problem with the support unit that resulted in captures/deaths...the Pvt.Jessica Lynch-unit. Perhaps in a less hostile environment (absent from a great deal of dust and sand), the Break-Free CLP works better than most others. I posted about a month or two ago on the Beretta section of the handgun forum on that problem.

You've got the half-truth.  Any liquid lubricant will allow dirt to stick to it.  So does Eezox, TW25B, any of them.  The sand/dirt in Iraq is like very fine talcom powder, it gets _everywhere_.  That being said, most of the guys on the front lines did not have serious problems.  Why?  Because they took care of their equipment.  They ran their rifles relatively dry of all lubricant and they brushed/blew them out frequently.  The 507th maintenance company is HIGHLY SUSPECT for not maintaining their weapons.  They jammed all their rifles, their sidearms, and a .50 cal.  I am willing to put money on it that they neglected maintenance on these items.  Seeing as how they were in the "back" of the caravan and far behind, I doubt they expected to see much action.  Why are they the only ones to have severe problems?  Also, the military's own tests showed that nothing overcomes the resistance caused by sand and grit like BF CLP does, that's why they use it extensively.  There are some wonderful discussions on this in the AR15 forums, you should check them out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I agree on the protection issue however I found EEZOX to be a better lube as well and at the least as good as BF.  My rifle ran dry of lube with BF before the EEZOX dissapeared into the carbon.  BF also runs everywhere in the rifle when rounds are fired.  Using very little to avoid this nullifies many of BF's attributes.  eezox stays put, even when a bit overlubed.  Rub the two between your fingers with force and it gives the idea.  Not scientific of course

BF does tend to "run" more than Eezox does.  It will also penetrate the smallest cracks and crevices.  Trying to rid a rifle of all traces of BreakFree CLP is a pain because it continues to weep out of the metal's pores for a long time.  BF CLP has extremely small molecules, penetrates and lubricates better than Eezox.  Do the research and the _scientific_ tests.  I can understand why you are so defensive about the product you use, it's our natural tendancy to do this.  I never said Eezox was a bad lubricant, it is very good, outperforms most.  But it is a notch under BF CLP.  Where it looses there it makes up for in protection and is somewhat "dryer".  The fact that it stays put better is also desirable in many instances.  I use BF CLP, Eezox and Mil-comm TW25B for different purposes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Militec won't protect at all but I have to differ in that it is a good lube regardless.  

Militec-1 is garbage.  The military's own testing showed that when filled with sand and grit a completely dry AR-15 only had 6 jams.  One treated with Militec-1 had 9 jams.  It does nothing to protect and it does nothing to clean.  I'd run my firearms dry ANY DAY before they EVER see a DROP of Militec-1.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Concering militec1......I hate it mainly due to there advertising techinques but to say the military testing alone is an end all to product testing is simply overstating a product.  Militec is thicker for sure causing more gum up when exposed to dust, etc.  That is why you dont need to use any more than a practically invisable film to lube the weapon.  I dont think its great for AR's but semiauto pistols function as well as anything with it.  After nearly 1,000 rounds through one of my old ruger.22 pistols it never had a problem.  Nor did BF or EEZOX!
    The military takes a huge consideration in cost and availablitiy as well as other things.  BF happens to be a product that fits that bill.  Many people in the military think it is time for a new product.  I am with you in that militec is not that product.

Also,  Ran a militec lubed 16" ar for about 1,000 rounds as well and it ran just fine.  All from a free sample most of which I still have.  I would never pay money for the stuff though
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#13]
wyv3rn:
The information was the result of a military survey of front line troops that was reported & posted in the AR-15 forum. It was not a fluke from popular views on what went wrong with the 507th maintenance unit's weapons. The survey was conducted with front line troops by the military and, I believe, reported to the Dept of Defense & the military. The report stated that BreakFree-CLP was not a front-line soldier favorite because it screwed things up with that "talc-like" Iraqi sand. BF-CLP may be in other reports from the military the "best", but in Iraq it has become known as the "worst," and the criticism was that it was supplied to the troops by the military.
Ruger
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#14]
TW25B
1.5 oz Tube Lube 8.75
TW25B
0.5 Seringe Lube 6.60
MC2500
2.0 Oz Spay Oil 6.60
MC25
4.0 oz Cleaner 5.50
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top