Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 8:09:11 PM EDT
What was your biggest gun mistake?  

Selling one you shouldnt have?

Buying one you shouldnt have?

Shooting yourself in the ass/foot/family pet?

Dropping your CCW in public?

Sitting on the toilet and realizing the first "plop" was your CCW?

Telling the wife you just spend 900 dollars on a new 1911?

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
traded a S&W 459 for 439 because the 439 was "too big"  

(not really, but the 439 felt better)

anyway, the 459 had 15 round mags and I traded it for something with less (7)

now it just waits to be sold / traded off for something mo better.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
well, this one time, at... ahhhm, nevermind (too weird)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Awww... comon... tell!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Selling my 1026.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awww... comon... tell!

Well, it was a long time ago now I guess... chased a guy into a laundry room, it was dark and there was a lot of soapy water on the floor, I went ass over tea kettle to the deck and slid into the guy that had just previously done the same thing...

In my right hand, when I went down, was a my pistol... but it slid further than I did. Once I got the other gentleman under control and illuminated the room, I found the pistol had slid under the bottom of a (poorly fitting) padlocked door to a storage room -- the door opened into the room that I was in, so kicking it was not a great idea (remember, standing in a small pool of soapy water).

Soooo... I got to wait around for the caretaker to come unlock the room, at O'dark:30, so I could get my pistol
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was 16 (thats right, this happened when I was 16 so give me a break) I shot a hole in the floorboard of my pickup with a 270 win.   It was dark outside and I just wasnt thinking but it was one hell of an expeirience that tought me a very valuable lesson.   It happened after deer hunting and no one was hurt and no major damage other than being temporaly blind from the muzzle flash and temporaly deaf from the blast inside the truck.  It did tear the carpet up pretty good and put a hole through the floor and the frame and that was it.  I drove that truck for five more years after that.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Shot my house.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
accidental discharge in my basement with my 357 magnum, ears where ringing for hours and I felt like a total shmuck
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awww... comon... tell!

Well, it was a long time ago now I guess... chased a guy into a laundry room, it was dark and there was a lot of soapy water on the floor, I went ass over tea kettle to the deck and slid into the guy that had just previously done the same thing...

In my right hand, when I went down, was a my pistol... but it slid further than I did. Once I got the other gentleman under control and illuminated the room, I found the pistol had slid under the bottom of a (poorly fitting) padlocked door to a storage room -- the door opened into the room that I was in, so kicking it was not a great idea (remember, standing in a small pool of soapy water).

Soooo... I got to wait around for the caretaker to come unlock the room, at O'dark:30, so I could get my pistol

I take it you're LEO?  THAT must have been... a bit... well... embarassing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Shot my house.

WTF?  AD?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Worst gun mistake selling BOTH my 1st 2 1911's (Colts both of them)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Back in the early 80`s at a TX gunshow I met a guy who said he had some pistols he wanted to sell.  He had a wooden case with 3 Sig`s in it, a 45, a 9MM & a 38 super.  Consecutive serial #`s.  
Said he bought them in Germany while in the Army & was selling them due to divorice.  Wanted $1200 for all 3.  I had the money but passed on the buy.  I really wasnt familiar with Sig`s products at the time.  DUMMY  DUMMY  DUMMY   GO STAND IN THE CORNER!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had a very close call with an AD. I was racking the slide, after I thought I had dropped the magazine. Well, apparently I did this a wee bit too fast and didn't realise the mag wasn't all the way out of the pistol. I collected the ejected round, and started to squeeze the trigger. I don't know why, but I paused and decided to check the chamber. The little voice was right, there was one in the pipe. Still doesn't make ANY sence how I could have the mag 1" out of the pistol, and it still managed to strip a new round. Was probably a timing issue with how I did it.

This was about 2 years ago, haven't had anything the least bit stupid since.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Slathering a 1916 BSA Enfield (ok yea, "dime a dozen", but it's what I'm into) with Militec, then taking it out for a weekend of reenacting in the rain.  They say it will protect against rust.  It doesn't.  Made a goddamn mess, that's for sure.. I should've tested the stuff.  

I pray this is the dumbest thing I EVER do with a gun.. Some of the other options are downright dangerous!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Not buying everything I could get my hands on before I got married.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Biggest?  Probably the time when being approached by two armed badguys in a roadside rest while taking a nap in pulling my handgun in my haste it got caught causing me to jerk it up in plain sight.  The badguys hopped in their car and took off.  I later found out two suspects fitting the same description killed a guy in the next roadside rest down the interstate just minutes later.

Kind of makes selling a favorite gun pale a tad.

Tj

Just slightly.  Atleast you are still alive to tell the tale.  We as armed citizens aren't responsible to protect the rest of the world, just ourselves and those around us.  It sucks knowing that you could possibly have saved a life, but by doing so you could have put more lives in danger by the ensuing fight  and very well could have put your life in more danger by entering a firefight rather than avoiding one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#19]
This doesn't involve a life threatening situation, but it's my big firearms regret...

At an ex-girlfriend's parents house.  My first visit to the home, I was invited to do some shooting off the deck into the creek bed in back.  Her Pop was an NFA guy but I didn't know it coming from a non-NFA state.  Anyway, he insisted I try this "uzi looking thing."  It couldn't have been an real uzi.... right?  So after emptying a mag with the selector switch on Semi, I thought to myself.... why the hell would someone want one of those?  And I set it down and never touched it again.  

Before we packed up to go inside her dad picked it up with a full mag and let her rip...  I never got to play with that UZI the way an UZI should be played with.  I did get to play with his daughter the way she should be played with, but it wasn't much of a consolation prize....  

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#20]
My biggest gun mistake? Not getting a 1911 when I could have.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#22]
My biggest mistake..

Talking to a friend while walking into the "shooting area" of an indoor range.  I was standing im my lane  talking to him and all of the sudden... BOOM!!!!   "holy shit!"  I forgot to put on my muffs.  My ears were ringing for hours.  

I will never make that mistake again.

When my dad was a kid he was always made to scare the rabbits out of the grass when my grandfather went hunting. So my dad was up ahead of them in the middle of this big field, my grandpa saw a rabbit (running towards my dad) and he shot several times, once hitting my dad in the legs.

He had to pick the bb's out of his legs.

-Tyler
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Not buying everything I could get my hands on before I got married.

+1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#24]
While I've had plenty of "should have bought this" and "I shouldn't have done that" stuff, here's one mistake that's kinda funny now.
A buddy and I were to shoot a 600 yard match at Camp Perry a couple years ago so I cleaned and lubed up the M1A. Come to find out I way over greased the rails and roller so as I started shooting I kept getting oil mist on my shooting glasses but I didn't realize it. I started out shooting OK but got worse as I went on. After I was done shooting, I figured out my glasses were spotted and why I had a hard time seeing the target  . When I got home and started to clean my rifle, I found the the flash hider had loosened up and bullets seemed to have hit it as they exited the muzzle. My score was the lowest of everyone. LOL Duh!!!! Live and learn. I was close to wrapping that gun around the nearest tree!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Selling my Springfield Armory GI 1911A1.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shot my house.

WTF?  AD?

ND
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Regret Selling: Chinese Dragunov in .308 Win, Steyr USR, SIG 229 and finally all my stripped AR lowers before 2000 CA ban, any of my complete AR's except for my Essential Arms Pre-Ban

Regret Buying: Armalite AR-10T (I bought the bullshit marketing) and a Bryco .22LR Pistol (my first pistol...all I could afford at the time).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top