Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2013 12:10:24 PM EDT
Anyone trained alot with this method?

I have been trying alot of differant offhand light methods recently. I dont have the rings, but even without them i have found this grip to be pretty effective. Still get a pretty damn solid two hand purchase on the pistol compared to other methods. I think i will buy the rings surefire sells. Interested to hear others thoughts.

Anyone working/useing/training with this method?

Cant imbed, but here is alink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A48dEDkkI24
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Never even heard of them before this.  Interesting concept.  Have to give it some thought.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Wish SF would sell a set of 3 actual rings ... You get a plain collar, a hooked collar, and a ring collar.
I force myself to try other methods for practice but  find Graham's method to work (for me) damn near perfect.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wish SF would sell a set of 3 actual rings ... You get a plain collar, a hooked collar, and a ring collar.
I force myself to try other methods for practice but  find Graham's method to work (for me) damn near perfect.

Stay safe

I just recently started trying it. I really like the concept, Its even a pretty easy and effective concept without the rings. I placed an order for the rings, so when they get here ill start working with it much more.

The two holds i worked with most were the ayoob and rogers holds.

while i liked the concept of the rogers hold, i had a tendancy to get my offhand trigger finger/knuckle into the trigger guard of my pistol. I didnt like that for various reasons. so i settled on the ayoob hold for the most part.

I really like this graham method though. It modifys the rogers hold enough to be extremely easy and effective to deploy, and no worry of my finger in the guard.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#4]
My preference for the ring is a Tiger Ring. Nothing fancy, Tiger McKee was one of the pioneers of the idea. Just a simple KISS loop on the light. It allows you to still have the light passively in your hand so you can reload, etc. without having the light attached to your finger. A 2" diameter loop of paracord attached to the pocket clip works pretty well. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like that ring technique looks too easy to fumble on a draw, especially since you'd need to deal with getting your finger into the ring.

After doing low/no light pistol competitions, I found that a "Harries hold" works fastest for close up stuff:

And if I need extra stability for shots beyond 10 yards I'll usually switch to somethling like a "Surefire hold":

Normally I carry my flashlight clipped into my front left hand, and I generally move my concealment garment out of the way with my right hand before grabbing the gun.

Image credits
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone trained alot with this method?

I have been trying alot of differant offhand light methods recently. I dont have the rings, but even without them i have found this grip to be pretty effective. Still get a pretty damn solid two hand purchase on the pistol compared to other methods. I think i will buy the rings surefire sells. Interested to hear others thoughts.

Anyone working/useing/training with this method?

Cant imbed, but here is alink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A48dEDkkI24

Off topic but I just have to say what a mighty beard he has. Giving Costa a run for his money lol.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like that ring technique looks too easy to fumble on a draw, especially since you'd need to deal with getting your finger into the ring.

After doing low/no light pistol competitions, I found that a "Harries hold" works fastest for close up stuff:
http://www.iwillnotbeavictim.com/sitebuilder/images/jsw_hb_7-291x188.jpghttp://www.iwillnotbeavictim.com/sitebuilder/images/jsw_hb_6-287x185.jpg

And if I need extra stability for shots beyond 10 yards I'll usually switch to somethling like a "Surefire hold":
http://www.iwillnotbeavictim.com/sitebuilder/images/jsw_hb_9-286x184.jpg

Normally I carry my flashlight clipped into my front left hand, and I generally move my concealment garment out of the way with my right hand before grabbing the gun.

Image credits

Thanks for link to the information.  I've semi-trained using these techniques that that you showed in your post but it is always helpful to see others to try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top