Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2012 6:41:52 PM EDT
I have a Glock 17 with a 9in lonewolf barrel.  I have already purchased a 13, 15, and 17 pound recoil sprind and tried to see if they will fix it, I also have tried 124+P grain ammo with all combination springs.  If anyone is asking why I have such a long barrel I need a longer then stock barrel to be legal to shoot an animal in the state of WI.  I know 9mm is not something to shoot deer with but I hunt with a 270 wsm and when you are tracking a deer and you come across it and it is still alive you dont want to shoot it with the rifle.  If anyone has any suggestions that would help me out.  I have also brought it to my local gun smith and they could not find anything that would fix it.  I really like the glock so I want to make this work and not have to buy a new gun.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:57:16 AM EDT
[#1]
What problem are you having? Where is your brass landing?
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
No human being on Earth, even Einstein, GRHS, would be able to determine what's wrong with the OP's G17, based on his post.  It's pretty obvious to me that his logical reasoning skills and judgment regarding why he bought a 9" barrel for a G17 could use some improvement.

You'd shoot at a deer running through the woods with a G17, but not with a .270 rifle??  That's ludicrous, in my humble opinion.  Chances of a clean, humane kill would be somewhere between zero and infinitesimal, but probably a lot closer to zero.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 4:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Troll post is trolling.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#5]
––––––Goo––Fee (goofy)....I sure don't want to be in the same woods hunting with the OP!!!.... <><....:)
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to see a picture of this 9" barrel before giving advice.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I went  to Lone Wolfs website and saw the barrel in question.... $149.00

Cant imagine why a longer barrel would interfere with functioning....
But the orig poster did not disclose the nature of the problem..

Wisconsin law staes that you need a minimum length of 5.5 inches on a barrel
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
K.I.S.S. is my moto. Maybe u should have just purchased a used S/W 686 or 629 for close up back up work. I have a 629 with an Aimpoint for handgun hunting, and a 586 to carry on my hip when I hunt with my .270. Most muzzleloaders carry a bp pistol with them during muzzleloader season. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I went  to Lone Wolfs website and saw the barrel in question.... $149.00

Cant imagine why a longer barrel would interfere with functioning....

But the orig poster did not disclose the nature of the problem..

Wisconsin law staes that you need a minimum length of 5.5 inches on a barrel

I'd imagine because a barrel that is double the length would be nearly double the weight.    The whole thing moves when the gun fires, and a single spring is tasked with bringing the whole package back together each shot.

If I recall the stock spring weights correctly, the OP has used lighter springs to attempt to fix the problem that it poses.      I would think that he would need a heavier spring for it to function, however I've never dealt with a barrel that long.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
That makes sense since there is ALOT more weight hanging off the front when
the gun is not in battery

I know the Glock uses a modified Browning cam lock system ...so the spring pushing
everything would have to  overcome the extra weight mechanically....to go into battery.  Think the stock spring is 17 lbs

I think as someone mentioned a 686 would be my choice for hunting deer ...not a 9mm
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 3:44:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Where's the OP?   I have another question.  If the WI law requires a 5.5" barrel, then why didn't he get a 6" barrel??  Inquiring minds want to know.  Maybe eating all that cheese has clogged his carotid arteries??  
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought the barrel from a friend so didn't have a choice on the length and the price was right.  Also I am not deer hunting with the 9mm, I am saying if I shoot a deer with the 270 and am tracking it and i come across the deer not dead I am going to shoot it with a 9mm hand gun.  Why would someone want to shoot a deer from a foot away with a 270.  I would never think about shooting at a running deer with a 9mm, but like I said to carry a handgun during hunting even if it is not the primary weapon it still needs to meet regulations.  Now that this is all clear my brass is getting hung up in the action.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought the barrel from a friend so didn't have a choice on the length and the price was right.  Also I am not deer hunting with the 9mm, I am saying if I shoot a deer with the 270 and am tracking it and i come across the deer not dead I am going to shoot it with a 9mm hand gun.  Why would someone want to shoot a deer from a foot away with a 270.  I would never think about shooting at a running deer with a 9mm, but like I said to carry a handgun during hunting even if it is not the primary weapon it still needs to meet regulations.  Now that this is all clear my brass is getting hung up in the action.

you can carry any gun you want, you just can't use it for hunting
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#14]
you still havent told us what the problem is that youre having...

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#15]
when i fire the gun when it recoils the empty shell gets stove piped, and sometimes when the empty gets ejected all the way the next shell does not get seated in the barrel it stays in the magazine.  And if you think it is a bad magazine I have over a dozen factory glock magazines that are less then a year old.

And to be clear you can carry any gun if you dont intend to shoot an animal with it, but if you shoot a deer with the pistol you need to follow all the laws that apply for handguns in the Deer Hunting Regulation Handbook, my cousin is a DNR Warden so I am pretty sure I think I would know.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
when i fire the gun when it recoils the empty shell gets stove piped, and sometimes when the empty gets ejected all the way the next shell does not get seated in the barrel it stays in the magazine.  And if you think it is a bad magazine I have over a dozen factory glock magazines that are less then a year old.

And to be clear you can carry any gun if you dont intend to shoot an animal with it, but if you shoot a deer with the pistol you need to follow all the laws that apply for handguns in the Deer Hunting Regulation Handbook, my cousin is a DNR Warden so I am pretty sure I think I would know.

I'm pretty sure that I think I would know that I read your first post, and you clearly stated that you intended to shoot a deer running through the woods with your G17.  Pretty clear that you weren't saying you were putting down a deer from a foot away.  Good luck.  I don't think the G17 is the only problem you have.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#17]
pretty sure I didn't, but thanks for the awesome help you are why people don't want to ask questions on forums.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
with that long a barrel you are increasing the velocity of the round and the speed that the slide is cycling.  this doesnt allow time for the empty to clear and the next round to be pushed up by the mag.  the OEM spring is 18 lbs and all of the ones you have tried are weaker than that.  you need a spring stronger than 18 lbs that will slow down the slide...

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks I am on lonewolfs website right now and they sell a 20 and 22.  I will order both and try them also what ammo would you recommend with that barrel to help it out 119gr, 124gr, or 147gr.  I have been hearing people argue about the 119 and 147 saying both are better just want to know what you think.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
pretty sure I didn't, but thanks for the awesome help you are why people don't want to ask questions on forums.

Yes he is... DRUNKEN LAWLZ

Sounds like the post above talking about a heavier main spring might be the best course of action.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]
also make sure that you have the newer 11 coil mag springs.  the older ones had 10...

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#22]
what is the major difference between the 124gr ammo and 147gr. wondering what ammo i should buy with the long barrel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 2:52:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

what is the major difference between the 124gr ammo and 147gr. wondering what ammo i should buy with the long barrel.

For your purpose I doubt it matters that much.

The major difference is the age old debate, slower and heavier vs. faster and lighter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 4:13:30 AM EDT
[#24]
"when you are tracking a deer and it jumps up i dont want to have to try and shoot it running in the woods with a 270 with a scope ."

Thanks to the guy who quoted the original post.  The G17 doesn't come with an 18# recoil spring; it's a 17# recoil spring.  As others have said, going with a lighter spring is probably what the problem is. I probably misunderstood the OPs first post.  It looked to me as if he was saying that he didn't want to try to hit a running deer with his scoped .270, but would use the G17 for that.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

"when you are tracking a deer and it jumps up i dont want to have to try and shoot it running in the woods with a 270 with a scope ."
Thanks to the guy who quoted the original post.  The G17 doesn't come with an 18# recoil spring; it's a 17# recoil spring.  As others have said, going with a lighter spring is probably what the problem is. I probably misunderstood the OPs first post.  It looked to me as if he was saying that he didn't want to try to hit a running deer with his scoped .270, but would use the G17 for that.  

nvmd:  i was thinking of the G19/23.  they have 18#.  the captive spring G17s started at 16# but are now 17#

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#26]
any more help need some help with some ammo to purchase.  Can't seem to get a clear answer.  I am looking on sgammo.com  Looking to buy 1000 rounds.  Let me know if anyone knows where I can get some at a decent price that will work with my gun with the 9in barrel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Really?

At the range you are intending to use it.....and not a deer running through the woods, it won't matter if it's a 124gr or 147gr.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
with that long a barrel you are increasing the velocity of the round and the speed that the slide is cycling.  this doesnt allow time for the empty to clear and the next round to be pushed up by the mag.  the OEM spring is 18 lbs and all of the ones you have tried are weaker than that.  you need a spring stronger than 18 lbs that will slow down the slide...  

That's not the problem at all.  Not how cam locked pistols work.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#30]
if that is not how you fix it what should I do?  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not the problem at all.  Not how cam locked pistols work.

then why did Gen 3 G22's have feeding issues when they had a tac light mounted when they were first introduced?  the reduced flex in the frame caused the slide to cycle faster and Glocks fixes were stronger recoil and mag springs

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top