Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2009 8:14:57 PM EDT
I'm looking for a new gun in .357sig. Which one of these would you get and why?  I have read that the .357 sig is hard on hand gun frames made for th .4o S&W. I know that the glock 23 and 32 are the same slide and frame just different barrel.  Is the M&P like glock or is the M&P .357sig build to hold up to the .357 sig?  Also if anyone has expert opinion on the .357 sig I would like to hear it.  This gun will be for duty use.
I have the M&P 9 FS now and love the gun but I thing I may need a little more gun for duty.

Thanks,
Ranger99
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
M&P & easily converts to a .40.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The M&P .357 is more than capable of handling the round. As M4-Stag said it easily converts over to .40 if you want to or with conversion barrel and 9mm mags you can shoot the 9 out of it too. If you already have the M&P9 I say stick with the platform, you have already trained with it and are accustomed to it. Trying to learn it and the Glock just isn't as practical as two M&P's just in different calibers.

Plus how can you just have one M&P? LOL
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:00:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd also say stick with the M&P if that's what you've used for training.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you guy's thing of the .357 sig as a duty round?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have decided on the 357 Sig as my daily carry round.  I have a HKP2K, Sig 229, Sig 226, and Glock 32C in that caliber.
I carry the H K in a Wild Bill No Such Agency holster, the 229 in another Wild Bill No Such Agncy Holster, the Glock in a Galco SkyOps holster, and the 226 in a Hume IWB.
I drill with all.
I carry the H K and the Glock on a daily basis alternating them often.  I used both at Ayoobs LFI with equal success.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It is what it is, just another self defense/duty round.  Its not a magical death ray, or super powered Star Trek gun.

I used to be a huge fan of it, not so much anymore.  Some call me a "hater", but I'm more of a "disliker".  I dont buy for a single minute that it is any better than a quality 9mm service load.  

For instance, the best load for the .357sig is the 125gr Speer GDHP.  Well lab testing has shown the 124gr+P Speer GDHP offers virtually identical performance in regards to penetration and expansion, with a very slight edge to the .357sig in hard intermediate  barrier performance.  Some hardliner .357sig fanatics will piss and moan about me comparing a +P 9mm load with .357sig.  OK, how about the fact that lab testing has shown that loads like the 147gr Winchester Ranger Talon has superior  performance in regards to penetration and expansion the the .357sig offering.  Oh wait, now the comparison is skewed because I'm comparing a heavier weight round to the .357sig modest 125gr load.

Now, with that said, there really is no comparison, the 9mm beats the .357sig, hands down.  You have other factors like ammo availability, price, faster follow up shots, weapon life, among others that I cant think of at the moment.

Of course this matters not to the die .357sig-ophile.  Do you know why?  "Because the .357sig is faster!".

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is what it is, just another self defense/duty round.  Its not a magical death ray, or super powered Star Trek gun.

I used to be a huge fan of it, not so much anymore.  Some call me a "hater", but I'm more of a "disliker".  I dont buy for a single minute that it is any better than a quality 9mm service load.  

For instance, the best load for the .357sig is the 125gr Speer GDHP.  Well lab testing has shown the 124gr+P Speer GDHP offers virtually identical performance in regards to penetration and expansion, with a very slight edge to the .357sig in hard intermediate  barrier performance.  Some hardliner .357sig fanatics will piss and moan about me comparing a +P 9mm load with .357sig.  OK, how about the fact that lab testing has shown that loads like the 147gr Winchester Ranger Talon has superior  performance in regards to penetration and expansion the the .357sig offering.  Oh wait, now the comparison is skewed because I'm comparing a heavier weight round to the .357sig modest 125gr load.

Now, with that said, there really is no comparison, the 9mm beats the .357sig, hands down.  You have other factors like ammo availability, price, faster follow up shots, weapon life, among others that I cant think of at the moment.

Of course this matters not to the die .357sig-ophile.  Do you know why?  "Because the .357sig is faster!".

I was just talking to a buddy of mines dad who has been in law enforcement for 26 years.  He stated that he has carried the 9mm for the last 17 years now.  He told me just about the same thing you just stated.  He told me that about 6 years back he was looking into the .357 sig and did alot of research on it and came up with about the same thing you did. I'm still having a hard time with the fact that if I change I would have to stock up on another Caliber and mags for it. Thanks for the replys and info.

Ranger99

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
i'd have no reservations owning/carrying either

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I would take 9mm or 40 over 357 Sig any day.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an XD in .357 SIG, it was my first handgun.

I love it and always will.  Since yours used to the M&P platform I would just stick with that.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had a Glock 33 for about 8 years now and I'm picking up a 31 in about a week on trade.....   I love the round!  There are some pros and cons that you will have to work through: Ammo, hard to find sometimes and it can be $$, on the other hand you have a very versatile platform.  With the Glock you can buy a drop in barrel and use the same clips and presto you have a .40.  In this day and age I've I like the fact that I can have one gun that can shoot two rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top