Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 4:56:52 PM EDT
I own a 23 and while I was living in Louisiana, I used that for my carry gun.  However; being the Marine that I am, I love my .45 rounds.  I looked at the .45 ACP glocks and didn't like the size of them for carry, so I got the 23.  Now that the 38's are coming out, I'm thinking about getting one for carry.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you answered your own question, but I have one...since the military doesn't issue .45s anymore, and haven't for a long time, how does being a marine make you love the .45?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Tough call, but I'd go with the G38.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sounds like you answered your own question, but I have one...since the military doesn't issue .45s anymore, and haven't for a long time, how does being a marine make you love the .45?

Certain Marine units are issued 1911s.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#4]
G30

the gap is too new and i have yet to see some tests of it

but more importantly: ammo costs more and is less available

stick to the tried and true, .45acp

are you having problems w/ concealing the .45acp glocks or is it just b/c its bulkier in the hands?
what kinda holster you using?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't been using a Glock 30, because I don't like the size of the frame.  I have a Kimber Ultra Carry, but the thing that makes me uncomfortable with carrying that locked and loaded is the possibility of going off.  My 23 carrys well, but I'd like to get some training in how to carry it at times when I'm not wearing a jacket.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#6]
i say go with the Glock 19 or 23.  with the 38 you are gaining nothing in terms of terminal basistics and cutting your ammo capacity by 5-7rounds.  My personal preference is for the 9mm but if you're afraid your marine buddies will tease you...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Nah, it's not that they'd tease me.  I'm an Air Force officer now, that's a bigger thing to tease me about LOL, but I'm a pilot, so it can't be all that bad.  Are there any suggestions for carrying the 23 in summer clothing?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I haven't been using a Glock 30, because I don't like the size of the frame.  I have a Kimber Ultra Carry, but the thing that makes me uncomfortable with carrying that locked and loaded is the possibility of going off.  My 23 carrys well, but I'd like to get some training in how to carry it at times when I'm not wearing a jacket.

What is it about the frame size that deters you? If it is the grip, here is a suggestion.- try one with a grip extension ( I recommend Pearce, but A&G and Scherer are okay too) and see what it feels like then. Personally, I originally deterred by the short grip on the Glock compacts and bought something else for a carry weapon. While going through the latest Guns & Weapons For Law Enforcement magazine, I discovered the grip extensions. The light bulb was nice and bright and off I went to the gun store. I tried a G27 and a G30 with the grip extension. For me, the G27 still felt small, but the grip was significantly better. The G30 fit really well with the grip extension (Pearce PG-30). Well, I traded and got the slightly used G30 (factory tested on 6/30/05). It even came with the night sights (a must). The G30 actually feels as good in my hands as my G21. I am pleased, especially since I now have another .45 ACP (10 rd. cap.) and said goodbye to a little .40 S&W.

glockmeister.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/62

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nah, it's not that they'd tease me.  I'm an Air Force officer now, that's a bigger thing to tease me about LOL, but I'm a pilot, so it can't be all that bad.  Are there any suggestions for carrying the 23 in summer clothing?

Good belt, good IWB holster.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with an inside the waistband holster and just wear your shirt out.  Make sure you get a gooooood
holster like a blade-tech, galco, or my favorite a Kramer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good belt, good IWB holster.

+1

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#12]
also good are comp-tac and sidearmor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I would probably go with the G38, but then again I love my G37.

I carry it from time to time loaded with 230gr Winchester Ranger.

As for worrying about performance.  It uses the same bullets at the same speed as ACP.  You do the math.

Jay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top