Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 3:49:01 PM EDT
I am currently looking into the Glock 21 model. I would like to know the pros and cons of the different sights that glock offers? I have shot a glock .40 cal with night sights and really liked it. Can you give me some opinions on what sight configutration to go with? Or, is it better to get a basic 21 model and add night sights or adjustable sights later? I have seen Trijicon night sights for around 100 dollars. Can you also point me in the right price range that a 21 should be going for. I have been to 2 gun stores in Las Vegas and the 21 models w/ night sights are around $600. Thanks for your help!

J
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the Glock 21 is .45 acp but you mention shooting a .40 cal with night sights and really liked it?  Are you looking to buy a .45 acp or 40 S&W.  No matter tho'. To try to help with your basic question, GLocks basically come with two configurations of sights fixed and adjustable.  Some feel the adjustable sights are far over-rated because for the most part, Glocks are not meant to be 10X target pistols and having adjustable sights are moreso a waste of time.  Standard fixed are just as accurate once you understand/know the point of impact vs. point of aim.  Both those can change with different bullet weights, velocities, etc.  Anyway, I'd recommend going with Glock's standard fixed sights (even tho' they're "plain ol' plastic) for the time being.  Put some hours in at the local shooting range with the fixed sights.  Then afterwards, if you'd like junk the plastic rear/front Glock fixed sights and buy a set of metal aftermarket FIXED sights.  There are dozens of different makes/models.  I personally like the Novak rear sight and recently put a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight on acouple of my Glocks.  Absolutely "love" the combination (Novak rear/Dawson fiber optic front).  But there are LOTS of fixed sight options out there and just as many opinions of what works for each particular shooter.  As far as price goes $600 for a Model 21 with night sights is pretty close to normal retail (maybe alittle bit high).  I'd steer away from night sights tho'.  Why spend the extra 75-100 bucks for night sights (UNLESS you plan to do alot of shooting literally at night).  Gunbroker.com is a great gun action sight that you can search and check to compare prices of what's available on the street at your local gun shop verses price comparisons on the net etc.  Good luck and once you get out to the range with your new Glock remember...always watch your backstop.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the information that is just what I needed! as far as the caliber I am looking at the  glock 21, I only said that about the .40 cal glock because it had the night sights and I really liked how they looked. thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like this is what you want:

Glock 21 with Meprolight adjustable tritium night sights, Glockmeister extended mag release, extended slide release, channel plug, etc.  Oh, and a 9-11 America's Heroes commemorative to boot:

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Most Glocks should be priced in the $450 range, new, and stock.

Adjustable sights aren't necessary, mine hits steel at 75yards with no problems.

Add night sights whenever you want, it is fairly easy, although the pusher tool is highly recommended.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
$600 is about right with tritium night sights in Las Vegas - try Discount Firearm on Industrial (I think) or American Shooters on Arville.

No pistol NEEDS adjustable sights...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up my G21 for $350 used in a gun store.  I have never purchased a Glock NIB.  I have only paid more than $400 for one and that came with Trijicon and 4 13 round mags ($450).

Used Glocks are the way to go.  

Check out glockmeister.com for sights,
glockmeister.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/6_37/products_id/177

Send them your slide and they will install the sights.

JS
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a Brand new G21 with 3 hi-caps and trijicon night sights for $520.......I have got the LEO deal on it.....the night sights add quite a bit to the price, else I can get brand new 21s with 3 hi-caps for 450.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I highly recommend getting the night sights. They are extremely useful for home defense purposes, since not all criminals sleep at night. I have them on my G21 and G30.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Another thumbsup for the 21. If it will be used for self defense get the night sights.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Night sights last about 10 years and then become standard sights. I'd stick with with fixed sights, I had the original glock adjustable sights on my 21. They moved around like mad and I replaced them with standard fixed sights. With any handgun shoot till you have tight small groups (500rds +) in one area on the target before concerning yourself with adjustable sights.

One other thing, I have yet to see someone have trouble with the Glock plastic sights. I have easily 4000rds through my 21 (including holster draws) and have never had a problem with plastic sights. This whole plastic / steel glock sight issue I believe is internet BS.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This whole plastic / steel glock sight issue I believe is internet BS.  

Until you have a front sight fly off.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a box stock G21 and added Meprolight nightsights later.  It's easily my favorite handgun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This whole plastic / steel glock sight issue I believe is internet BS.  

Until you have a front sight fly off.  

Happen to you?

I want one of them tritium fire sights! Oooh them are bright.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Add me to the "Glock Plastic Sight Failure" list, rear sight in my case . I have a G-21 and like it just fine. I really think the Glock sights should be replaced, and the sooner the better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top