Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 12:57:58 PM EDT
Well I went to the pawn shop to arrange a FFL transfer this weekend. I was looking at their inventory when a Springfield MC Operator caught my eye. It has some issues, but seems to be in the nice shooter condition. It appears someone tried prying the rear sight off with a screwdriver. The sight wasn't messed up, just a little scratched. The finish was spotless aside from the rear sight and some minor scuffs on the trigger.

I was in a hurry and put it on layaway but didn't have time to take it down (yeah, I know), so I need to go back later this week and give it a proper inspection. Basically, I just wanted to get it off the shelf. I plan on making some changes on it, along with replacing parts where needed. Everything felt like it was functioning properly, but the beavertail was significantly loose. That will get re-adjusted when I get my new mainspring housing though. The barrel and feed ramp have very little wear from what I could tell.

My plans are to first make sure everything is in proper working order. After that, I'm going to ditch the green on the frame for a finish as close to the factory black slide as I can get. I'm also going to get a S&A arched mainspring housing with extended mag well. I'm going to leave the tritium Novak's unless there's any issues with the rear sight. The Pachamyer's will eventually be replaced by some Crimson Trace grips. I'd also like a trigger in the 3-4 pound area.

I don't know alot about 1911's, but I'm going to take it slow and make sure I do it right. Now my question is, what do you reccomend for a 1911 beginner?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You could go with a springfield mil spec 1911. Just like the WWII pistol carried. But by the time you upgraded it (if you wanted). You're probably better off buying a springfield loaded. IMO

Kimbers are great too, if you can find a used kimber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top