Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:39:07 PM EDT
Happened to me at the range tonight. Scary!
Magazine floorplate weld broke, ammo fell out, spring went flying, but I was unable to find any other damage.
And the shot did make a louder than normal sound.

I was shooting WWII ammo. No damage but I thought it was a Kaboom at first.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Happened to me at the range tonight. Scary!
Magazine floorplate blew out, ammo fell out but I was unable to find any other damage.

I was shooting WWII ammo so I doubt I could sue anyone. What damage should I be looking for?

seems a bit odd, any other info?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
tag

what model of springer
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The WWII clone Springfield makes.
I would thing the barrel should be bulged, etc, maybe it wasn't a full double charge.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
did the back of the caseing blow off ?
usually with a 1911 your grips break and you loose a mag but other than that i bet your ok. still might want to have it looked over.

ETA: I would toss out the rest of that WW2 ammo
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:19:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
did the back of the caseing blow off ?
usually with a 1911 your grips break and you loose a mag but other than that i bet your ok. still might want to have it looked over.

ETA: I would toss out the rest of that WW2 ammo

+1
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Pics please.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have pics.
I never did find the magazine spring.
I did notice there was some rust on the bottom of the cheap, generic, magazine. Maybe it wsn't a kaboom at all, just a crappy magazine coming apart while firing.

Emily Litella Voice: Never mind.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I had that happen with my springer GI the first time I took her out,3rd round out of the mag I heard the spring and remaining ammo hit the bench in front of me.After I did the mandatory finger,eye,and testicle check I pulled the gun apart to try and find the problem.It turned out that the floorplate spotwelds on the surplus mag I was using had broken from recoil.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#9]
That WWII ammo is probably corrosive or has corrosive primers. Make sure you clean your barrel and breech face good. Use some windex. I would also inspect the frame and barrel link for any cracks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I had that happen with my springer GI the first time I took her out,3rd round out of the mag I heard the spring and remaining ammo hit the bench in front of me.After I did the mandatory finger,eye,and testicle check I pulled the gun apart to try and find the problem.It turned out that the floorplate spotwelds on the surplus mag I was using had broken from recoil.

I had a Para single stack mag that did the exact same thing when slapping a mag home.

Inspect the pistol carefully. If you are certain no other damage exists I'd bet this is your problem.

And WTF are you not using Wilson Combat mags by now?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't have pics.
I never did find the magazine spring.
I did notice there was some rust on the bottom of the cheap, generic, magazine. Maybe it wsn't a kaboom at all, just a crappy magazine coming apart while firing.

I was wondering about that.  If it was a kaboom, you should at least have a split case to show for it.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a springer gi also, glad yours didn't get trashed
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
There are some "surplus" mags out there in brown bags that are KNOWN to have weak welds on the base. Very poor spot welds. Many vendors take them out of the bags and sell them for $5 to $10 bucks. Only buy mags from known manufacturers or learn to spot the crap. I collect GI mags along with GI 1911s and most real GI mags are damn well made. They just are not designed to release some of the newer rounds when they should. They work best with GI  spec ammo [IE 230 grain ball ammo.]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
"I was shooting WWII ammo so I doubt I could sue anyone."

???? Was this really one of your first thoughts?

hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...just a crappy magazine coming apart while firing.

Why don't you edit the title of this thread? Quite misleading, as there was no kaboom here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#17]
had two Triple K mags blow the base plates out on the third or fourth round on each.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:

And WTF are you not using Wilson Combat mags by now?

Wilson Combats are good but I think Shooting Stars work as well for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top