Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 2:01:40 AM EDT
Does anyone have any info on this besides whats in the gun magazine this month? The pistol looks like a .45 1911 frame but shoots the G.I .50 cal. The article state it's similar to shooting the .45 with the same velocities and energy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes it is based off of a 1911, very similar to a 1911, and not sure about the cartridge performance being the same as a 45 a.c.p.. It wouldn't make much sense to me to produce a .50 styled like a 1911, feel like a 1911, cartridge ballistics like a 45 acp, but cost twice as much as a standard 1911. With a $2400 price tag, and if the ballistics are like an a.c.p., I definitley do not see it hanging around. Just buy a Wilson, Les Baer or one of the other 1911smith pistols for the same price, and you get cheaper ammo and better ammo availability.

IMHO it will just be a niche gun and never really go anywhere or make tremendous impact on the industry. It's just too expensive, especially when a custom 1911, shooting a proven(almost a 100 yrs now) cartridge, is available for less or same money. Now if they somehow found a way to produce a "plainer" model, i.e. cheaper, it probably would. But without sacrificing quality. If they had a model in the 13-1400 price range I'd buy it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
... Just buy a Wilson, Les Baer or one of the other 1911smith pistols for the same price, and you get cheaper ammo and better ammo availability.

It's just too expensive, especially when a custom 1911, shooting a proven(almost a 100 yrs now) cartridge, is available for less or same money. Now if they somehow found a way to produce a "plainer" model, i.e. cheaper, it probably would. But without sacrificing quality. If they had a model in the 13-1400 price range I'd buy it.

Part of the reason for the expense is that it is NOT a regular production pistol.  It IS a custom.  They are made by Vic Tibbetts who is an amazing 'smith.  I would much rather have a Tibbetts pistol than a Wilson or a Baer (no offense against Wilson or Baer).  From what I understand, they are also offering .45 kits to enable you to switch from .50 to .45 and vice versa.  But yes, it IS expensive.  If I were going to buy one, I'd also get the .45 kit as well.

R
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
In the magazine the barrel is facing you and looking down the barrel it looks like you can park a 18 wheeler down it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In the magazine the barrel is facing you and looking down the barrel it looks like you can park a 18 wheeler down it.

Yeah but I'm with Maniacrat461 on this one.  What's the point?  To have .05 more of an inch??  I have a guy that brags about his Desert Eagle at work whenever he's there and guns come up.  But I bet he hasn't shot it in years.  Some guys just like to say, "I have  50 caliber"  But in my opinion it's pretty useless in the safe.  On top of that because he doesn't shoot it regularily, I'm bettin he couldn't hit jack crap with it.  Now I'm not saying the people that buy this gun are just like that, but it does appear to me like beating a dead horse.  But that's just my opinion.  It's probably a very nice pistol and ammo.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:52:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah but I'm with Maniacrat461 on this one.  What's the point?  To have .05 more of an inch??  I have a guy that brags about his Desert Eagle at work whenever he's there and guns come up.  But I bet he hasn't shot it in years.  Some guys just like to say, "I have  50 caliber"  But in my opinion it's pretty useless in the safe.  On top of that because he doesn't shoot it regularily, I'm bettin he couldn't hit jack crap with it.  Now I'm not saying the people that buy this gun are just like that, but it does appear to me like beating a dead horse.  But that's just my opinion.  It's probably a very nice pistol and ammo.

I agree, A nice .45 will do fine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#6]
GunCrafter Industries

Nice, but not for that price.  I'll stick with my .45 ACP thank you very much.
Top Top