Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 9:13:38 AM EDT
I have been thinking about getting a G27 for CCW so I rented one yesterday to get a feel for it.  I have a G22 that I love and thought the 27 would come natural to shoot.  Wrong!  I was greatly disappointed by my performance.  I mean, I get better groups with a Kel-Tec P11.  I'm sure it was my unfamiliarity with the pistol, not the pistol's fault (though it failed to fire 4 out of 27).  That experience made me change my mind and lean more toward a G23.  

My question is for those who have both a 23 and a 27.  In the summertime, can you conceal them both with the same ease?  I'm a medium guy, 150 lbs, 32" waist.  If they are both easily concealable, I would much rather get the 23.

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 23 and 27.  I carry the 23 more even though the 27 is easier for me to conceal.  I am 6'1 175 btw.  The 27 is easier for me to conceal but I only carry it when I need that extra bit of concealability it has over the 23.  The 23 just fits my needs better.  I get a better grip with it, more rounds, and I can still conceal it well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#2]
While I do not own a G23 I do have both a 22 and a 27. One thing I learned straight away was that out of the box I could not shoot the G27 all that accurate, after installing the Glock +2 bases on the mags it made all the difference in the world for me. As it came I had a hard time tucking that strong hand pinkey under the mag.
On another note range guns are not always that well cared for, that may have been your problem with the 27 functioning as it should. I have hundreds of rounds down range without a hiccup. What type of ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
While I do not own a G23 I do have both a 22 and a 27. One thing I learned straight away was that out of the box I could not shoot the G27 all that accurate, after installing the Glock +2 bases on the mags it made all the difference in the world for me. As it came I had a hard time tucking that strong hand pinkey under the mag.
On another note range guns are not always that well cared for, that may have been your problem with the 27 functioning as it should. I have hundreds of rounds down range without a hiccup. What type of ammo were you using?

Almost the same with me, except I use the Pearce +1 extensions.  I've been carrying a 27 for over 5 years in a vest holster on duty and a iwb holster just behind my hip off duty.  In the summer I have no problem concealing it wearing a pair of shorts and t-shirt.  The nice thing is I can keep a full capacity G22 mag for a spare.  I don't shoot it as well at 25 yards as I do my full size pistols but at 15 yards and closer there is almost no difference in shot placement.  I have put a pile of rounds through it and only had one problem with it feeding and that was from a beat up G22 mag, that I threw away.  I absolutely love my 27 and it is a rarety that I ever leave home without it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.  The short grip might have contributed to my poor performance.  While I didn't find the recoil to be stiff, I thought it was a great deal less controlable than expected.  I'll try to handle one with mag bases.  

m-dc, I was shooting Lellier & Bellott 180gr FMJ - the cheapest practice ammo at the range.  I have put hundreds of it through my 22 without a single hick-up.

I can conceal my 22 in summer clothing, but not effectively.  The 23 should conceal easily.  The only con I see to it is its weight.  In summertime (when I very rarely wear a belt), a small semi-auto (27 included) in a cheap Uncle Mike's clip-on holster works great.  The 23 might be too heavy to wear that way.  At any rate, I know I will end up bying both of them... well actually there will be three of 'em, including the 19 for my wife.    
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a 23 and 27.  I carry the 23 more even though the 27 is easier for me to conceal.  I am 6'1 175 btw.  The 27 is easier for me to conceal but I only carry it when I need that extra bit of concealability it has over the 23.  The 23 just fits my needs better.  I get a better grip with it, more rounds, and I can still conceal it well.

+1
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]
i have both the 23 and the 27

i carry my 27 more often cause i feel that i shoot it just as well as the 23 but the 27 conceals better/easier and it being summer in tx it gets pretty hot to be wearing heavy clothing.

i have the pearce +1 mag ext on mine and shoot it often.

last range trip was to an indoor range that allowed rapid fire! 700rds into the chest area shooting as fast as i could load them from 5-25yds!

you could also use the a&g slipover grip for the hi-cap 23 mags for the 27 and it would have something similar to the 23's grip. its just a slipover grip that goes over the 13rd 23 mag so it would fit into the 27 without looking/gripping odd.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a G23 but not a G27 , I do have a G26

I would have to say after carring both I tend to carry the G23 more

just feels better in the IWB holster than the G26
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have been thinking about getting a G27 for CCW so I rented one yesterday to get a feel for it.  I have a G22 that I love and thought the 27 would come natural to shoot.  Wrong!  I was greatly disappointed by my performance.  I mean, I get better groups with a Kel-Tec P11.  I'm sure it was my unfamiliarity with the pistol, not the pistol's fault (though it failed to fire 4 out of 27).  That experience made me change my mind and lean more toward a G23.  

My question is for those who have both a 23 and a 27.  In the summertime, can you conceal them both with the same ease?  I'm a medium guy, 150 lbs, 32" waist.  If they are both easily concealable, I would much rather get the 23.

Thanks.  

You should be able to fire both with the same degree of accuracy.  You're about my buddy's size.  He carries a G19 in the summer with a G26 as a backup in an ankle rig with no problem.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer my G27 to either a G23 or G22 with stock grips. The reason is that the G27, with the Pierce mag extender, points exactly the same as my double-stack 1911 IPSC gun (same apparent grip angle):

For me, this is very important as I get way more trigger time with my IPSC gun than with my Glocks, yet my carry gun is the G27. All other Glocks point high for me. In fact, I have a G22 that I modified with a Dremel to give the same feel as my G27.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+ another one

I do prefer the G27 for certain situations though.  Its slightly lighter for cycling.  No glock can hide like a J-frame though.

edit to ad more details:
If I go on a trip to Phoenix or Florida I take the 27.  I don't use a grip extension, it defeats the purpose of the shorter grip.  But most of the time I am happy with a 23 or even 22
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I am only 5' 9'' and 160lbs and I hide a glock 19 suprising well. Even with a cheap POS IWB holster. If I am standing or walking you can't tell. If I bend down its obvious. I wear pretty tight shirts as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:54:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wear pretty tight shirts as well.

Do you wear pretty tight pants, too?  
J/k, bro, but you left that open; I couldn't resist.    Thanks for the advice.

I will get the 23 first.  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I too have had a little difficulty shooting the G27 well at first.  Installed the grip extenders, and while they helped a lot, the grip was still just a hair too short.

Taking the suggestions from those on this board, I istalled a +2 base I had, put a small square of skatboard tape on the front area, and PRESTO!  The grip is perfect now.  

Just gotta get to the range today to get some lead out!

Tex78
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top