Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 9:44:39 PM EDT
I plan on picking up an IWB holster for my USP Compact 9 and was wondering.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Once you get it adjusted correctly and use a good belt you'll forget it's there.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally . In 22+ years of looking . I've never found one
I've been happy with . They all feel like what they are .
Something jammed in your wasteband
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I would compare wearing my 1911 in a Milt Sparks Watch 6 all day to my boots.  Neither are uncomforatable but it is nice to take them off at the end of the day.  Having a good belt and holster does make the difference.  I have carried a kahr pm40 in a galco with a leather levis belt that was not as comfortable as my 1911 in the watch six with a wilderness tactical belt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry a GLOCK 19 in a Threat Solutions UCR about 18 hours a day and it doesn't get uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry a USPc 40 in a Blade-Tech IWB and I don't have any problems, as long as I have a good belt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:27:23 AM EDT
[#6]
my s&w sigma gets worn at least 14 hours a day, as long as strong belt and pants fit (so the wasteband isn't supporting the gun completely, the belt is) then all is fine. Just have to deal with print problems as i move to reg t-shirts as it gets warmer...

Brandon J.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:47:58 AM EDT
[#7]
depends on the size of pants....my 32W work fine, but my 30W pants make em uncomfortable

its all the pants, holster, location, and (sometimes) gun and belt
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:33:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got a Bianchi Black Widow for my G27 becasue the Bianchi IWB set-up was casuing some major discomfort after extended outings (8 hours).  

Edited to add that I will still use the IWB on those lazy summer days where shorts/sweat pants are desired.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I carry a USPC in a Comptac C-tac and don't have any discomfort.  Make sure you have a good belt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Does the IWB still work OK if you are in and out of a vehicle alot, or riding in that vehicle for long periods?  With the midsized to large handguns I don't see how that can be comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I just started making some serious attempts at IWB carry over the last couple of years.

I think comfort depends on a variety of issues.
Yes, belt and holster are very important.
I think your "build" is also crucial to the mix.
I'm shaped like this: |

I've been pretty much rail thin, with no rear all my life.
With my car keys in my pocket, I can have trouble keeping my pants up.
You can imagine what another pound or two of weight on the waist does to me.
If the pants fit right, and I'm using my Watch Six holster, and Don Hume belt with my PM9,
it can be done with a minimum of tugging my pants up.

When I switch to bigger guns issues come up.
If I cinch my belt so tight that the holster (and my pants) stay up, I can get really uncomfortable
if I have to sit down. (Especially if I eat a large meal.)

When riding in a vehicle, the type of seat make a difference. If they are the "wrap-around" type of seat, the gun will dig into my side quite a bit.

So, the short answer is: I don't think every single peson can comfotably carry a full-size, all steel 1911.

I once read an article in a gun rag, where the writer stated that it is easy to carry a big gun with the right belt and holster. He even reproduced that line of text underneath a picture of himself carrying a 1911 in an IWB holster.
But... in the picture he was wearing a belt, and suspenders!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Does the IWB still work OK if you are in and out of a vehicle alot, or riding in that vehicle for long periods?  With the midsized to large handguns I don't see how that can be comfortable.

It depends on what kind of holster and where you wear it.  I wear my at 3-330 and I could drive with it on all day.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#13]
w00t!!

I just got my comp-tac c-tac in the mail. It's for a usp 9c so I'll wear it around for a few days and repost.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
depends on the size of pants....my 32W work fine, but my 30W pants make em uncomfortable

its all the pants, holster, location, and (sometimes) gun and belt

Aahhh  I remember when I could wear 30w and 32w pants....I think I was 12.

Depends on a lot of things, actually. My full-size 1911 in a VM2 feels fine, and can be worn all day, but my Glock17 in the same type holster is a bit shorter, and pinches my skin somehow whenever I sit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Mine are both very comfortable and I can wear them all day. I use the Bianchi profesional if I know I am going to be going in a building that I can not take a pistol into so I have to leave it in my car. It is very easy to slip back on and I have drawn from it many many times and the clip on it works great and has never failed me. The Galco summer comfort is what I use if I am going to to carrying all day and not take the holser off. Both holsers have held up very well and are very comfortable however at first I did not think the Galco would be as comfortable because the lack of a high sweat gaurd which I prefer but it is very comfortable and both holsers were under $60. I do believe that a good quality thick belt comes into play also. I found my belt at some store for about $20 and it is as thick as the $60 belts made by the holser companies although I am going to be trying some of there belts soon. I hope this info helps.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I've carried a USP40 in a Blade-Tech IWB for 5 years and barely ever notice it's there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I plan on picking up an IWB holster for my USP Compact 9 and was wondering.  Thanks.

I pack the same gun in a CTAC with no problems. I had a Blade Tech IWB that was uncomfortable though. Be sure to buy pants that have many belt loops, and use a good gun belt. Sometimes I tuck in an undershirt for padding and support.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]
You know, it really depends on conditions. An OWB will always trump IWB for comfort, but IWB is hardly a death sentence to wearability.

The right clothes (and size) as well as position can all make a difference. A few years I was something of a fat ass. My fat pants (wow that sounded the ghey) made for a managable carry, but my old jeans were killing me. Thinner is the winner. After dropping a good 20-30 I find carry is significantly more comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I either carry a Walther PPK/S in a CTAC or a Beretta 92FS in a CTAC. I used to carry a USP .45F in a CTAC.

You get a good holster, and it won't bother you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Just wear a T-Shirt underneath and you'll be OK, it's like when I first got married and my wedding ring was annoying.  You get used to it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:41:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just wear a T-Shirt underneath and you'll be OK, it's like when I first got married and my wedding ring was annoying.  You get used to it.

Yes the T-shirt helps a great deal. I always wear one any way.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:58:36 AM EDT
[#22]
In the summer I always carry IWB, with a good holster, and a good belt, I usually carry a Sig 239, but when it's hot and I go small, I carry a Kas PM9.  I'm fond of the Galco IWB's.  The minimal ones can't remember what they call them.  I wear them at about 4 o'clock, once you get used to them they wear comfortably all day.

I think a good heavy belt from one of the better makers will make all the difference in the world.  Don't go cheap on the belt.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:11:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Tried all manner if IWB holsters, (Ken Null, Galco, Sparks, etc..) in all manner of materials, (leather, kydex, horsehide, nylon) and am using, have been using for more than 10 years and will continue to use a $10 Uncle Mike's cordura Sidekick.

There just ain't a more comfortable holster for 24/7/365 carry.

My G30 rides IWB x-draw there all day every day.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I lke the FIST ultrathin kydex IWB holsters..if i put my Glock 27 behind my hip its very nonuncomfortable.  If i'm carrying my Kahr PM9 i can forget i am carrying.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I wear an Uncle Mike's IWB kydex for my Sig 229.  It rides just behind my right hip and I have no discomfort.  I can conceal it in cold weather and in hot as blazes weather.  The only thing that I don't like about it is it is a bitch to reholster.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:15:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Per a members suggestion here, I just started carrying at about 3:30 behind right hip a few days ago. Had carried at 1 o'clock before that. Printing seems to be less in thinner summer wear, well probably more there but in a less noticable place so it balances out, and I think it feels better, obviously takes a lot of getting used to when you start or change where you carry, but I like this position better already. You just have to try as many carry styles-holster-belt-weapon combos as you can and hope one works out. BTW, you might as well start carry a large gun now because you will eventually anyway so just do it and get used to it :)

Brandon J.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Per a members suggestion here, I just started carrying at about 3:30 behind right hip a few days ago. Had carried at 1 o'clock before that. Printing seems to be less in thinner summer wear, well probably more there but in a less noticable place so it balances out, and I think it feels better, obviously takes a lot of getting used to when you start or change where you carry, but I like this position better already. You just have to try as many carry styles-holster-belt-weapon combos as you can and hope one works out. BTW, you might as well start carry a large gun now because you will eventually anyway so just do it and get used to it :)

Brandon J.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I carry a USPc 40 in an Milt Sparks VersaMax II and a Milt Sparks Belt.. I forget it is there most the time, and I have made may 10hour road trips with it on with no problems. I do usally wear a t-shirt but sometimes I do not and its ok but if its a little warm out then I notice the sweat next to the holster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top