Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2005 12:41:01 PM EDT
I have already tried to search for "hamhocks" but to no avail. I also don't want to turn this into one of those llama "What gun should I buy?" posts.

I'm a 6'-7" ex-MP with size 16 shoes and you know what that means, right? Yup that's right, I have big hands to match. I've had my fill with 1911s and wheel guns and have really been tossing the idea of either a Glock or an XD and I'm hoping some of the ham-fisted ARfers have thoughts into this? I have only had limited availablity to fondle both models but it's a tough decision it seems. The Glock has finger grooves which are a great addition to the stock model but they just don't seem to mesh with my grip pattern.

My overall desire would be to have somesome that's fun to plink with, inexpensive to operate, and a good defensive weapon. CC is not a concern as I won't be doing that.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Before anyone pipes up, the Desert Eagle .50AE is already part of my long term/if I find $1200 on the street plan.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
coming from a 5'7" guy wearing size 9 shoes i can say that i find the glock grips to be noticably larger than the xd grips.  also if you are already buying .45acp the glock is the way to go.  well that is if you find it comfortable.  you may want to look at used gen1 or gen2? glocks--pre finger grooves.  then if you slap on a-grip it will be a little larger in your hands.  i fired a glock 20 (10mm) with that on it and damn if that thing wasn't just a shade too big for me.  to me at least it felt like the grip was the size of the desert eagle's grip.  but the frame for the 20 and 21 (.45acp) are the same.  however i recently heard that lapd has pulled all of it's glock 21s due to light taps from the firing pin.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I would look at Sigs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
If I had huge hands there would be no pistol for me but a GLOCK 20. Sixteen rounds of 10mm YEE-HAW!!!

I guess I will have to settle for a GLOCK 19 and a huge dick.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Look into a USP
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Look into a USP

+1

The USP 45 is a good size gun for an average guy like me or a tall guy. My friend who is 6'8" likes my USP Tactical over the SIG 220 and Glocks.

A Glock 21 might be good...it is too big for me, that is why I like the USP.

Also CZ has a real nice 45.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock 20? Desert Eagle? -- I mean you want a gun that's gonna fit your hands, one those two should do the job.

Ok I'll stick with Glock 20. :D
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
full size USP or Glock, expecially the larger calibers

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Try the Glock 21.

If price isn't a problem get a Mk23.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#9]
+ 1 for the H&K .
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+ 1 for the H&K .

+2 for the H&K
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm a 6'-7" ex-MP with size 16 shoes...

Any damn gun you want, sir!  Here, take mine!

/jk
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#12]
CZ 97B
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:53:07 AM EDT
[#13]
If you can stomach the Glock, the 21 or 20 would probably be good for you. My 1911 fits my hand perfectly, but the large frame Glocks are the tiniest bit big for me. I think they may be perfect for you.

Edit: find a second Gen Glock, they don't have the finger grooves.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:18:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Also suggest the Glock 20. or 21. Some folks on the board dont care for Rugers, but I like them. You may want to check out the P90. The HK USP is also an excelent pistol, but priced higher than the Glocks. Scince you incinuated you do not wish to spend 1200.00, the Mark 23 is out of the question.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#15]
G21, but see if you can find one of the first generation ones. They did not have finger grooves. Would probably fit the bill for what you want.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:00:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Glocks do have a fairly large grip compared to most other common choices so with your hand size, they will probably be a good choice. The G20\21s have an even larger grip then the G17\22s but 10mm\45ACP ammo isn't exactly "inexpensive". The cost isn't too bad if you reload. I too do not like the finger grooves because they do not fit my fingers but they can be quickly\easily removed in a couple of minutes with a Dremel or a little longer with a hand file or you could just look for a Gen 2 version?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Para Ordnance P14.45 or the P16.40, or just get a G21/20 with some big mags
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#18]
usp or sig 220/226
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Para Ordnance P14.45 or the P16.40, or just get a G21/20 with some big mags

big mags?  what do the mags have to do with it?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Take a good look at the CZ 97 in .45 acp

I wear XL gloves and it is borderline on being too large for my hands but the ergonomics are great just like all the other CZ's. Oh yeah, and it's priced right. I've seen it around the $550 mark a few places.

Link
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a SIG 220, 1911s, and the 97B and from what you described the Glock 21 or 97B would be the best fit. I do not think the others are not worthy firearms because they are but as far as your grip and the quality for the price I think thost two pistols are the best and although I have not shot a Glock 21 I can tell you my 97B is more accurate than my G19 by far. You can have work done to the 97B if you did not care for something on it and still have spent less than a lot of 1911s(which I love) and the 97B is worth putting money into. In the end when I start working on it I will have almost as much money in work done to mine as I spent on purchasing it. Not because it needs it but because I like it so much I want to perfect it. It will be my BBQ gun that gets shot. There are no safe queens at my house.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#22]
MK 23 has your name on it.  You could be one of the proud few who own one that doesn't complain about it being to big for their wittle fingies.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Where in WI are you? I've got an XD tactical you're welcome to try out.

For that matter, come to some of the shoots at driftless. Plenty of different guns to try.

Of the troops and for the troops...
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
For that matter, come to some of the shoots at driftless. Plenty of different guns to try.

First, I'm right between Milwaukee and Madison.

Second, "Of the troops and for the troops"? Am I addressing a fellow graduate of Fort McClellan?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Size 14 shoes.  Extra large gloves don't fit.  Handcuffs fit on the first click (hee hee).

Glock 21 or Glock 30 works well for me.  I can shoot most anything, but a Sig 228 didn't fit too well.  The 220 fit OK.  1911 OK.  1873 Colts a bit small, but Ruger Vaqueros OK.

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Im 6'4", wear a size 14 boot, and shoot a Glock 21. I would say look into a USP, Mk 23, Glock 21, or a CZ97B.

That or just carry a Krinkov pistol.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#28]
The grip on USP .45's are huge.

The Glock finger grooves dont have to fit perfectly, I can still get a good grip on them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm a fellow 95B Ft McClellan grad too!  They don't send them there anymore, now all MP's train at Ft Leonard Wood.

I'm not as big as you, but I prefer larger frame pistols.   The ones I'd suggest are:
- H&K USP fullsize
- Glock 20
- Glock 21

I like the USP's, but my personal preference is the Glock 21, due to cost, of gun, parts and mags, and 13 +1 rounds of .45acp is not bad.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Second, "Of the troops and for the troops"? Am I addressing a fellow graduate of Fort McClellan?

I'm right by Madison. You ever shoot at the Deerfield Range?

Co. E, 10th MP BN. '84. "Echo War Eagles, Born to Fly. Trained to Kill and Stay Alive".

I still have shin splints from Big Baines and baby Baines. B44 was the best little camp trip I've ever done.

Were you there when the Pistol Palace was still open?
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Co. E, 10th MP BN. '84. "Echo War Eagles, Born to Fly. Trained to Kill and Stay Alive".
I still have shin splints from Big Baines and baby Baines. B44 was the best little camp trip I've ever done.

Hehe, guess I got a year or two on ya. I was in Bravo Co. 2nd MP Bn at Camp Casey after that I was was re-assigned to the Military Police Investigation section in Uijongbu with the 55th MP Company, out in '81. Being a good little ROTC automoton droid, I went delayed entry from high school nad picked Korea over Germany. Best decision I ever made but I digress...

After looking at the options presented above, I'm going to latch onto the models recommended and take them for a spin on a range. I have to admit, the HK is a strong contender with the Glocks running a close second.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hehe, guess I got a year or two on ya. I was in Bravo Co. 2nd MP Bn at Camp Casey after that I was was re-assigned to the Military Police Investigation section in Uijongbu with the 55th MP Company, out in '81. Being a good little ROTC automoton droid, I went delayed entry from high school nad picked Korea over Germany. Best decision I ever made but I digress...

After looking at the options presented above, I'm going to latch onto the models recommended and take them for a spin on a range. I have to admit, the HK is a strong contender with the Glocks running a close second.

Let me know if you want to borrow the XD for a weekend.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I know exactly the places you are talking about!  I was stationed in the Joint Security Area (JSA) Camp Bonifas (probably Camp Kitty Hawk when you were there) for over a year!  We had no medical (besides an aid station) and no PX (besides a "snack bar") so if we ever needed anything we surmised a list and sent a couple troop over to Camp Casey!  Also,  I went to PLDC for a month at Uijonbu (Camp Jackson).  
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Glock 20
Glock 21
I weigh 160# and have access to a Glock 20.
Yes this thing freekin' huge for me but still love to shoot it.
Should be perfect for the big dawgs with big paws.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I know exactly the places you are talking about!  I was stationed in the Joint Security Area (JSA) Camp Bonifas (probably Camp Kitty Hawk when you were there) for over a year!  We had no medical (besides an aid station) and no PX (besides a "snack bar") so if we ever needed anything we surmised a list and sent a couple troop over to Camp Casey!  Also,  I went to PLDC for a month at Uijonbu (Camp Jackson).  

LOL..... Everyone take there hands away from their keyboards and make no sudden moves. We are hijacking this thread in the name of the US Goverment.

Korean vets unite!

Geez guys, stop it. Your bringing back too many good memories
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm 6'5" and wear a size 14EEE shoe and face similar predicaments. I've found that most handguns that have a double stack mag fit pretty well. My EAA Witness 10MM & my H&K USP tactical (45ACP) both fit me well. I've tried some of the single stack handguns and the fit is just not there. I've "tried on" a Glock 20 & a Sig P220, both again, double stack and both didn't fit badly at all. The Sig fit more like my H&K. The trigger guard seemed a bit small on the Glock for my long fingers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Another vote for the full size USP 45 or even the CZ97B.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I'm 6'5" and wear a size 14EEE shoe and face similar predicaments. I've found that most handguns that have a double stack mag fit pretty well. My EAA Witness 10MM & my H&K USP tactical (45ACP) both fit me well. I've tried some of the single stack handguns and the fit is just not there. I've "tried on" a Glock 20 & a Sig P220, both again, double stack and both didn't fit badly at all. The Sig fit more like my H&K. The trigger guard seemed a bit small on the Glock for my long fingers.

the sig p220 is single stack .45acp.  even the other calibers it was made it for a while were still single stack.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#39]
OK, I stand corrected. I just tried the gun out, didn't check it out at all. It still fit pretty well. All of mine are double stack, except  my DE. Of course, the DE is huge and still fits well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
MK 23 has your name on it.  You could be one of the proud few who own one that doesn't complain about it being to big for their wittle fingies.

Okay, you sold me. My Mark 23 will be delivered next week. Thanks to all who helped develop the first "Big Hand" Thread.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, you sold me. My Mark 23 will be delivered next week. Thanks to all who helped develop the first "Big Hand" Thread.

Good choice.  You can only go down from there.  Let us know how you like it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Well I am 6ft, 3 1/2in tall and wear a 14EEEE shoe and take a size 13 glove. My G21 2nd gen frame with no finger groves is a pretty good hand full. I find I like the Glock 2nd gen frames better so my big fingers do not get "bunched" up on the grip. On a lighter note the best man at my wedding was a MP out of FT. Campbell in the LEC working the jail. I always told him you could not spell wimp with out a MP he always told me he was a Multi Purpose kind of guy with the ladys . JMTCW......Trapfan
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:58:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Im 6'1 and wear a size 13 shoe... I'd say the G21 would be a viable option, and I believe that the 2nd generation Glock 21 has about the largest grips you are going to find for that price range with no finger grooves.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Try the Glock 21.

If price isn't a problem get a Mk23.

+1
If you can conceal a .50BMG Id go with that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#46]
6'7" current MP here
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I would suggest handling a Glock 21 or 20, they have th same size frame but differ in caliber.  They are about as big as your going to get, omitting the Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good choice.  You can only go down from there.  Let us know how you like it.

lol... I can't believe this thread came back to life. I went ahead with the HK Mark 23 because:
1. It fit in the palm of my hand damn near perfect. No pinky overhang on the mag and my thumb sits exactly where it should for good control.
2. I try to limit myself to good quality buys and stay away from the cheap crap.
3. I couldn't resist the need to buy one since the supplies are quickly dwindling.

Anyway, the Mark 23 is an awesome tool. Aside from being free of any cosmetic defects it's rock solid with no rattle or play. It takes some getting use to a super long 12 pound DA pull on the trigger but once you get it into SA mode it's a crisp 4 pound break that rivals the crispness of my Colt Python.

I tried as many different types of ammo down the pipe ranging from 210gr Wal-Mart, to 165gr Corbon, to HyraShok, to GoldenSabre +P. I could not get the accuracy to degrade regardless of ammo choice and the groups all hovered around 1.5"-1.8" at 25 yards. I was thankful for the shear mass of the weapon coupled with H&K's recoil system when it actually made shooting a .45 fun. I did not however pump any +P+ down range. Partly out of fear of damage and partly out of my inability to find any.

Out of curiosity I also purchased a Votex muzzle break for the Mk23. Although it did reduce  flip (a miniscule amount), I could not perceive an accuracy increase.

The price tag is going to limit those wishing to enter the market for this out-of-the-box, run like a raped ape target gun but those who don't have one should at least try one first hand before flaming it. It's not a Colt, Kimber or Glock but it definately deserves to be in the running.

All in all, it's a solid 10 out of 10 for H&K for the Mark23 IMHO.

btw... did I mention you can also use it as an effective bludgeon if you run out of ammo?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Go ahead and blast that +P+, you won't hurt a damn thing, My MK23 has eaten at least 2,000 +P loads, and just short of 500 .45 supers, not to mention more standard pressure shit than I can count. Those things will run FOREVER. In testing they were required to digest at least 30,000 +P rounds before crapping out, well they did that and came back for seconds. Greatest pistol ever made in my opinion.....

If ya gots da mits for it  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top