Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2009 8:32:20 PM EDT
Was kinda wondering where other folks carry when on a bike. I'm right handed but can shoot well with my left so I carry in a beltslide on my left (right hand free for throttle). Other ideas ?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
in my tank bag
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry a S&W 340PD in an inside pocket of my jacket.......
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
As much as I'd like to, I can't imagine actally being able to shoot from my moving bike.  It seems too much risk as the road is more likely to kill you than an on road gunfight.  I do however carry often while riding.  When riding, I prefer a very stable holster and a thumbreak.  

There is fair argument for not carrying on your person while riding as a large hunk of metal on your person may not be a good thing if you have the misfortune of sliding down the pavement with your gun on the downside, and probably other concerns that I don't know of.  I wouldn't like to have my gun be separated from me during some sort of accident either.  A gun seems to be the least useful tool for survival on a bike, but I'd rather be prepared for that freak circumstance, while I focus more of my interest on safe riding.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1  Same EXACTLY
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#5]
+2

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Glock 20 in a shoulder rig.  Ruger SP101 in a jacket pocket.  On long trips it's not horribly unusual to find an AMD-65 with mounted tac light in my tour box.  I like to sleep out on long trips and the AK in my sleeping bag makes a nice, warm companion.  I've gotten a few startled looks at KOA's when I've transferred it from my bedroll to the tour box.  I try to wait till no one's looking, but it isn't always possible.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  Same EXACTLY

I also have a leather vest with a gun pocket on both sides. Carry two and it balances very nicely.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup. I also do a lot of dirt biking, so its a good thing to have when your a long way from home.

I would hate to have to shoot while riding.

Don't see that ending very well.

P229 inside the pants.

I might say a shoulder rig(left handed)under a vest maybe?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I typically carry in a Maxpedition Versipack because my bike is my primary means of transportation during the summer.  I took a low-speed tumble and landed on my r. shoulder and r. hip while wearing my P228 in a CTAC IWB.  I ended up with a bruise on the hip and learned my lesson.  1) wear armored pants (ATGATT) and 2) off body carry is the way to go when you're on a bike.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I typically carry in a Maxpedition Versipack because my bike is my primary means of transportation during the summer.  I took a low-speed tumble and landed on my r. shoulder and r. hip while wearing my P228 in a CTAC IWB.  I ended up with a bruise on the hip and learned my lesson.  1) wear armored pants (ATGATT) and 2) off body carry is the way to go when you're on a bike.

I am actually looking at the Maxpedition "Remora" setup for carrying while I ride. It looks to be a little smaller than the Versipack and should fit my 340PD and an extra speed strip/speed loader OK.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On long trips it's not horribly unusual to find an AMD-65 with mounted tac light in my tour box. .

Nice!

I'm trying find a decent pocket pistol for inside jacket pocket carry.  If I could ever find a chest rig that doesn't make me feel lopsided, I'd carry my XD service model.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I usually just wear my regular carry rig, IWB 4 oclock under a leather jacket.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#15]
+3

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  Same EXACTLY

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 2:02:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Lether vest over inside the pants Ace holster with extra mag pouch.  This worked well for me, until my mva, my lower left leg landed farther away from me than my 1911.  When I got the 1911 back from my department, outside of a little of my blood that had dried on it. it was none the worse for wear.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 2:12:43 AM EDT
[#17]
My Maxpedition Fatboy is often strapped down to the tail, with anything from a SP101 to a full size CZ75 in it.  

I partially bought my Ruger LCP with the bike in mind.  It's nice to be able to have it in a coat pocket, a bit more accessible than a strapped down bag on the tail, or even in a tank bag.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#18]
inside my vest and  IWB
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#19]
carry like normal, or inside jacket pocket.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm a lefty, so it's the same as always. IWB @ 8:30 or a shoulder rig under my vest.

a-bare
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Helps to be a south paw.  OWB strong side .40 cal M&P Can still work the throttle Reach draw and shoot.

Another good reason to pratice weak side if your a righty.

Left handed people are in there right minds ....LOL
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Shoulder rig SERPA holster under a cover shirt and my Riding jacket. I feel it is the best place if I were to slide .  I don't figure on shooting while riding either.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As much as I'd like to, I can't imagine actally being able to shoot from my moving bike.  It seems too much risk as the road is more likely to kill you than an on road gunfight.  I do however carry often while riding.  When riding, I prefer a very stable holster and a thumbreak.  

There is fair argument for not carrying on your person while riding as a large hunk of metal on your person may not be a good thing if you have the misfortune of sliding down the pavement with your gun on the downside, and probably other concerns that I don't know of.  I wouldn't like to have my gun be separated from me during some sort of accident either.  A gun seems to be the least useful tool for survival on a bike, but I'd rather be prepared for that freak circumstance, while I focus more of my interest on safe riding.

I crashed while carrying a full size 1911.  Jumped the bike at 60 plus, Broke both legs...it was a good crash.  Gun stayed in holster, no problem.  It was a Galco IWB open top.  GREAT holster.  I highly recommend it.  Get something that will keep the firearm put.  
PS I dont recommend this method of holster testing.  I did it so you dont have to.

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
in my tank bag

yup
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#25]
S&W 2 inch J, K, or L frame tucked in front of my pants or in a FIST K1 ultra-thin IWB
Link Posted: 3/10/2009 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#26]
USP in my jacket pocket... If I need to lock it up, I put it in the left-side of my Windjammer (yes, old bike... Vetter fairing with locking compartment)

There is absolutely NO reason to be engaging in firearms combat while riding the bike...

Accessability 'while rolling' is not a concern....
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#27]
If KelTec then
    jacket inside breast pocket
else
    tank bag or rear bag
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#28]
good info
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
USP in my jacket pocket... If I need to lock it up, I put it in the left-side of my Windjammer (yes, old bike... Vetter fairing with locking compartment)

There is absolutely NO reason to be engaging in firearms combat while riding the bike...

Accessability 'while rolling' is not a concern....

Agreed.
I carry a Kimber Ultra Covert II in the left inside pocket of either my jacket or vest.  I balance it with a pair of extra mags on the other side.
Yeah, it's heavy, but you get used to it....
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Glock 20 in a shoulder rig.  Ruger SP101 in a jacket pocket.  On long trips it's not horribly unusual to find an AMD-65 with mounted tac light in my tour box.  I like to sleep out on long trips and the AK in my sleeping bag makes a nice, warm companion.  I've gotten a few startled looks at KOA's when I've transferred it from my bedroll to the tour box.  I try to wait till no one's looking, but it isn't always possible.

NICE setup, sir!  I applaud your preparedness.  Very squared away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I was originally thinking of getting a Maxpedition Remora for throwing my 340PD into while I rode my bike, but I just got a great deal on a Fatboy Versipack and it works great. I have been packing my Springfield Armory LW Champion 1911 in it. I took my bike out today and threw the Versipack in my saddle bags. It is nice to get to a destination and just throw the Versipack over my shoulder and have everything right there in one gear bag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Yup, the Maxpeditions really come into their own for us bikers.  Very convenient, I use mine a lot during the summer, I can pack my work stuff in there, firearm, etc, and just grab it and go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top