Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2005 4:07:13 PM EDT
I would like to have a lanyard loop on my milspec.  And if I'm going to change it, I might as well get the flat one.  At first I didn't think much of the a1 curved but I always think about this colt I handled that had a flat one and I believe it felt better.  It seems all it really does is push your palm out a little.  Regardless, the question is, who makes a flat mainspring housing with a lanyard loop?  Also, is it something a normal guy could install.  I have a newer milspec and it's got the ILS on it, wouldn't hurt to get rid of that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The usual suspects should have what you want: Brownells, Denny's, Cylinder & Slide, Midway, etc. etc.

Yes, you certainly can install one yourself, it's easy. Just have someone hold your beer first.   (Just kidding!)
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed.  just one pin to knock out and then slide it out the bottom.  There are some small parts in there though so go slow.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
wrap a rubberband around the grip so it  holds down the grip saftey,that way the sear spring wont pop out...then just knock out the pin...remove the main spring housing....switch out the guts and replce with the new one......check brownells they have the biggest selection of flat main spring housings wit the lanyard loop.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:29:20 AM EDT
[#4]
You might want a new mainspring housing cap pin, since the ILS does not have one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#5]
You'll need a new mainspring cap, pin, and mainspring and the housing.  I went with a stainless flat S&A checkered one on my Springfield Loaded.  I got all mine from Brownells.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You'll need a new mainspring cap, pin, and mainspring and the housing.  I went with a stainless flat S&A checkered one on my Springfield Loaded.  I got all mine from Brownells.

Thanks for adding that.  I posted the cap thing last night, and I was about dead after a long day of painting the house.  I woke up this morning and wondered if I included the cap and spring.  Boy do I feel stupid.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking of doing this on my SA pistols with the mainspring housing lock.  It's kind of a pain to install the MSH while assembling it to the frame after cleaning with the original parts where the spring is sticking out. I'm going to order some  mainspring cap, pin, and mainspring for my SA 1911's.  

556man
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
what do you guys mean by cap and pin??? I suppose I should get my pistol and see if I an figure out what  you're talking about.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#9]
GO TO BROWNELLS AND LOOK UP THE EXPLODED VIEW OF A 1911....YOULL SEE ALL THE PARTS THAT ARE IN A 1911 MAINSPRING HOUSING.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
what do you guys mean by cap and pin??? I suppose I should get my pistol and see if I an figure out what  you're talking about.

If you detail strip the frame you still won't see them.  The mainspring housing consists of a mainspring housing, mainspring plunger, mainspring, mainspring cap, and mainspring cap pin.  It all stays together unless you hold down the cap and push out the cap pin.

FYI get a 19.5lb Ed Brown mainspring, which will give you a VERY nice trigger pull.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe Smith & Alexander makes a flat mainspring housing with a lanyard ring.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Is there a problem with using the flatter grip safety(non-humped) with a flat MSH? It looked to me that you might run into problems with not engaging the safety at times with a normal grip. With the curved MSH it kind of puts your hand in the correct position to engage the smaller grip safety on the mil-specs. Is this a problem?

If not, I might have to get a mil-spec and put a flat MSH on it. Like the looks of the mil-specs better but don't like the curved MSH.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#13]
that's exactly the reason all my 1911s HAVE an arched MSH.  I have a bad habit of not always gripping the gun as tightly as I should.  The arched MSH really helps, and I haven't had any problems activating the grip safety since installing them no matter how poor my grip is.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#14]
hmmmm.......  I didn't think about that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
hmmmm.......  I didn't think about that.

It's probably why the 'bump' grip safeties were invented.  I shoot mine with the bump grip safety and flat spring in IDPA and have yet failed to disengage it during a draw.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I believe Smith & Alexander makes a flat mainspring housing with a lanyard ring.

They do, flat and arched, blued and stainless, available at Brownells.
I bought the blued arched, all of the bits mentioned above, and a new firing pin, and just haven't got around to doing it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I noticed the bump on got m4's after talking about it.  I know some guys have problem with this.  Not sure how it'd be for me.  Hmmmm....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top