Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 2:16:42 PM EDT
So I got my card in the mail the other night (FLA non-resident),
So yesterday I took a drive on over to PA and excercised my right.

Ill tell you what, its different, but I think I like it.

Walking around a mall, all I could think was wow, this security gaurd is here to protect the people of the mall, yet Im the Joe Shmoe who is able to walk around with a gun, and hes not.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
the first couple days it makes u feel 7ft tall and bulletproof, then you go back to normal and feel naked without it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Walking around a mall, all I could think was wow, this security gaurd is here to protect the people of the mall, yet Im the Joe Shmoe who is able to walk around with a gun, and hes not.

Observe and report, baby. Observe and report.

That, and customer service, is what most security officers are for (and to make insurance companies happy [e.g. getting a lower insurance rate]). Especially of the mall variety. Mostly, security officers are supposed to act as witnesses, because most companies don't want to be sued because somebody stubbed their toe in the course of an arrest.

Congratulations on getting your CCW!

***EDIT*** What the hell was I thinking? Edited for horrible grammar.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
With great power come great responsibility!!!!  Really does come into play when you carry.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
With great power come great responsibility!!!!  Really does come into play when you carry.

Yep, Im a dumbass without carry. When I carry I am infinitely responsbile.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on your ccw. We need more sheepdogs. Why arnt ur gaurds armed? All our gaurds around here, even security seem to be armed. They can only make a citizens arrest, but they already have the cuffs, oc, batons, ect on them...... so most people up here leave the security guys alone. theyre jobs suck as it is. Yeah you will get used to carrying everywhere. you will find your more alert, and youll begin to feel weird when you take your gun off at the end of the day. Trust me its normal. Now you need to make sure you practice practice practice with your weapon. Sleep with it, eat with it, and even though you feel weird practice drawing and dry firing EVERYDAY. You can do it as soon as you wake up! even just a few minutes a day.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... then you go back to normal and feel naked without it.

This. And congrats on your permit!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Every morning when I get up and look in the mirror I put on my gun and say "I am a bad motherfucker" then go about my day.

Okay, not really. The first few times you think everyone is starting at your gun. They aren't. You'll get to a point where you feel strange without your gun.

Congrats and stay safe. Too bad you had to go to another state to exercise your CCW.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... then you go back to normal and feel naked without it.

This. And congrats on your permit!
This and remember, now you can't escalate. You have to avoid confrontation at all costs. Kinda weird how that works huh?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

the first couple days it makes u feel 7ft tall and bulletproof, then you go back to normal and feel naked without it.

I didn't wear all weekend because of the...drinks, and when I finally got it back on Monday, it was like having an old friend back.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't worry, everyone isn't looking at you, even if it feels like it. I hate attention and when I first started, I always felt like I was in the spotlight and hated it.

And congratulations
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#11]
The 1st time I carried it was a colt series 70 in a belt slide covered by pea coat. I can remember thinking to myself. None of theese sheeple have a cannon like this on them. LOL  

Now I carry my J frame .38 snubby IWB just to the right of my belt buckle more then anything. That location hangs it to the right of the goods and to the left of it stabbing me in the leg while sitting. 4 O'clock its uncomfortable as hell to me IDK why.

Everything else seems to be more of a  pain in the butt than its worth.  Once in a while I will carry my G19 15+1 and a spare mag if for some reason I know im going to be in some higher risk enviorment.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats man!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Its comforting knowing that if a really crappy situation happens you have some means to defend yourself that can match to probable highest threat level.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry all the time.   You will learn to get annoyed as hell when you have to leave your CCW in the car (like I did today while watching the new resident evil movie IMAX)

Carrying is right not a privelage.   I resent stupid laws.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I carry all the time.   You will learn to get annoyed as hell when you have to leave your CCW in the car (like I did today while watching the new resident evil movie IMAX)

If it is a right, and not a privelege, why'd you leave it in your car?

Congrats on CCW, OP.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on CCW, OP.

In North Carolina you can't carry anywhere that charges admission.   Nice huh?  

To OP:  Be sure you know the law too :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You disarmed for a no guns sign?

The serious CCW community frowns upon your actions.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats. I too have to leave my state to exercise my right to carry. It's kind of a strange feeling being around large groups of people knowing I'm wearing a gun. I wish I could do it in my home state and get used to it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats on CCW, OP.

In North Carolina you can't carry anywhere that charges admission.   Nice huh?  

To OP:  Be sure you know the law too :)

Anywhere that charges admission? That's a really odd rule. In Utah, you can carry almost everywhere, except federal buildings, airport, courtrooms, and some churches.

I've carried at AAA baseball games, all movie theaters, all over. Since I've managed to avoid courthouses and don't fly much, I usually only have to leave my Smith behind when I go to the post office.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

you dont really know that.
some do pack a hide out

20+yrs of CCW
I couldnt go naked

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#21]
The girlfriend and I went out last night for her birthday. She wanted to get dinner and stop into a little bar after. Well I had to leave my piece in the car after dinner and coming out of the bar an hour later she grabbed my arm and whispered that she felt naked knowing that I wasn't carrying. I've never used that expression with her in terms of carrying, but its just a natural feeling you get. It takes a little time to get them warmed up to the idea, but just like always once you get them warmed up its worth it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The girlfriend and I went out last night for her birthday. She wanted to get dinner and stop into a little bar after. Well I had to leave my piece in the car after dinner and coming out of the bar an hour later she grabbed my arm and whispered that she felt naked knowing that I wasn't carrying. I've never used that expression with her in terms of carrying, but its just a natural feeling you get. It takes a little time to get them warmed up to the idea, but just like always once you get them warmed up its worth it.

haha same thing happened to me, me and my wife were getting ready to go out with friends, after i got dressed and told her i was ready she said "what about your gun?" i said "i cant carry it if im going to have a few drinks", as we were walking to my truck she said she feels naked without me having it, i told her theres still the truck gun and these *flex*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top