Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 9:13:16 AM EDT
My father in law has a Colt Mark 4 Series 70 that he wants me to shoot with him. Not a problem there. The only thing is that this gun hasn't been shot in over 20 years (and is in mint condition). Do I need to advise him to lube or clean or prep this gun in any way before we put 200 rounds through it? I would seriously hate to damage such a fine piece of metal. If you recommend anything, please post a link with direction on how to perform whatever you advise us doing. I appreciate all your responses in advance.

I'm really, really looking forward to my first 1911 shoot. I've only shot XD9s and G19s.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I understand how you might not know a lot about 1911 maintenance, but being an existing gun owner - you should know that after 20 years, U would need to oil and lube ANY gun that has sat there for 20 years and hasn't been fired.

The gun will probably work fine, once you take it apart; clean it and lube it. Also, since it hasn't been cared for in years, you wanna look for any signs of rust inside and in the barrel as well.

The mags may be pretty old, so if the gun doesn't work right after you clean it and lube it, then the 1st thing to try is a new mag. If it still doesn't feed reliably, next thing to do is try a new recoil spring.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Depending on how it has been stored, you may want to strip it down to check for sticky springs, extractor, firing pin etc. Good lube is your friend. Good luck...I am sure you will enjoy shooting it. Watch out!!!! You may catch the 1911 fever.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Kinda figured that I would have to clean it and lube it up for him. I've just never fired a gun after it just been sittin there for 20 some odd years. It's almost as old as I am but it looks brand spanking new and of course the design of the 1911 hasn't changed so it look just as good as any "new" 1911 of today.

I'm so looking forward to this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top