Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 7:07:03 AM EDT
Jus lookin for some extra power springs by wolfe
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Wolff does not have an extra power spring for the Wilson mags.  I called them about this a few weeks ago and was told the Wilson springs are proprietary.  Wolff used to make them for Wilson but don't any more.  

Your problem is likely not the magazine spring if the mag is new.  The problem could be your slide stop.  I've replaced them on two different new Springers because of this very problem.  The Wilson replacement works perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Ill give that a shot
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
... or try these. Makes for a nice upgrade for the 47.

http://www.trippresearch.com/products/upgrade/upgrade.htm
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I would bet you do not have a problem with your slide stop. I have seen 47Ds fail to activate a slide stop with rock solid consistancy (and even in a Wilson Professional)

Try some quality 7 round mags with a METAL follower.

The 7 round conversion mentioned above may work, but I have not seen it personally. I do however have about 32 high quality 7 round mags that never fail in my 1911s.

I also own four 47Ds, but I only use them at the range.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would bet you do not have a problem with your slide stop. I have seen 47Ds fail to activate a slide stop with rock solid consistancy (and even in a Wilson Professional)

Try some quality 7 round mags with a METAL follower. Metal followers chew up the frame/slide on alloy guns, so thats a no go

The 7 round conversion mentioned above may work, but I have not seen it personally. I do however have about 32 high quality 7 round mags that never fail in my 1911s.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:46:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Tripp's upgrade kit is probably a good solution.  I have three of his followers/springs in some old Metalform mags.  They turned these mags from questionable to 100%.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:30:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try some quality 7 round mags with a METAL follower. Metal followers chew up the frame/slide on alloy guns, so thats a no go

This is not true with all metal followers. The Metalform round top follower and the followers on Meg Gars and ACT mags cannot touch the feed ramp they are not made like the original Colt follower. They are completely captured and cannot protrude beyond the front of the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is not true with all metal followers. The Metalform round top follower and the followers on Meg Gars and ACT mags cannot touch the feed ramp they are not made like the original Colt follower. They are completely captured and cannot protrude beyond the front of the magazine.

I was actually wondering WHAT part of the follower that could do the damage. I wasnt really sure. but took ppls words for it. So its the TOP FRONT of the metal on some mags taht are doin the damage?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was actually wondering WHAT part of the follower that could do the damage. I wasnt really sure. but took ppls words for it. So its the TOP FRONT of the metal on some mags taht are doin the damage?

I am not so sure the whole damge to the feedramp thing is not just a myth anyway. Aluminum feedramps can get pretty chewed up just by being struck by bullets over thousands of rounds. Maybe that is what people see and think it is the follower. Still, if you are afraid of this just get some Mec-Gars.  It is rare that one of the most affordable mags is one of the best, but it is true in this case. If you have ever held one of these mags you know what I am talking about. The Quality is excellent. It makes me wonder how people can get 30 bucks for a 47D.  

ACT makes the Wolff and Novak mag. They use the same follower design as Mec-Gar and seem to be of equal quality. I own a couple of each of those.

My dad has carried a 70 series Colt Commander since 72 and has put thousands of rounds through it using nothing but Colt 7 round mags. His still feeds 100%. I know this because we just went to a gun school and shot 1000 rounds in 2 days. This is the same place I saw my friends Wilson fail to lock the slide back over and over again. I gave him one of my 7 round Mec-Gars and and old crappy GI mag and the gun worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Your Wilson mags should work fine.  If you are having problems call Wilson Combat they garantee their mags for life.  Megars are good too and probably the most afordable out there.  Also, damage to aluminum frames does happen just below the feed ramp.  This happens because the follower (matal) tends to travel forward digging into the frame, i.e. Chip Mcormick-shooting stars, factory mags or any other mag that uses the two prong follower design.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Your Wilson mags should work fine.  If you are having problems call Wilson Combat they garantee their mags for life.  Megars are good too and probably the most afordable out there.  Also, damage to aluminum frames does happen just below the feed ramp.  This happens because the follower (matal) tends to travel forward digging into the frame, i.e. Chip Mcormick-shooting stars, factory mags or any other mag that uses the two prong follower design.

Yeah, my friend called Wilson about his. They told him to "strecth the springs out"....Yeah right. They also said they would replace them, but who has time for that?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#12]
i just noticed 2 out of 5 wilson 47Ds consistently do NOT lock back when shooting the last round.

i talked to a good friend who is a smith, he recommended taking them apart and cleaning them first.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i just noticed 2 out of 5 wilson 47Ds consistently do NOT lock back when shooting the last round.

i talked to a good friend who is a smith, he recommended taking them apart and cleaning them first.

This is really not an isolated thing. This is why you hear about people having these religous schedules they change their mag springs on other nonsense like rotating mags out of carry duty. I believe that putting 8 rounds were 7 should go is overstressing the mag spring.

I have also noticed by feel, the "self lubricating" followers exibit far more drag than the metal follower in a 7 round Mec-Gar or Metalform mag.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#14]
The "8 into 7" phenomenon is true of all first generation 8-rounders.  The ACT-MAG's, Tripp mags and Metalform Elites are all built on a slightly longer mag tube to help with spring fatigue, shortened followers, etc.

I had half a dozen or so of the ACT-MAG 8-rounders a year and a half or so ago.  All showed promise but quickly cracked along the feed lips.  I spoke with the president of PSI (ACT's importer) and he told me that the cracking problem has been resolved.  If that's the case, the ACT-MAG's should be super magazines.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The "8 into 7" phenomenon is true of all first generation 8-rounders.  The ACT-MAG's, Tripp mags and Metalform Elites are all built on a slightly longer mag tube to help with spring fatigue, shortened followers, etc.

I had half a dozen or so of the ACT-MAG 8-rounders a year and a half or so ago.  All showed promise but quickly cracked along the feed lips.  I spoke with the president of PSI (ACT's importer) and he told me that the cracking problem has been resolved.  If that's the case, the ACT-MAG's should be super magazines.

I agree completey. The mags you mentioned are the only 8 rounders that make sense. If you want another round, the magazine has to be a little longer.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, my friend called Wilson about his. They told him to "strecth the springs out"....Yeah right. They also said they would replace them, but who has time for that?

They do recommend loading the mags and let them sit for a week to allow the spring to set.  When ever I got new 47D's I would load them and use them when ever I went to the range.  Sometimes they sat for a week, sometimes taken straight to the range.  I have tried quite a few mags and am by no means an expert, but Wilson 7 and 8rdr's an Mec-Gar 7rdr's have always out perfomed the others.  I am sure they would've sent your friend new springs.  Taking those mags apart is EASY.  They were made to come apart easy.  I've never had a problem with any of Wilson Combat's products or Customer service?  47D's are good for the range anyway, 7rdr's for carry.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#17]
what is the gurantee wilson gives on their mags? Will they send me a new spring/follower if I say mine aren't locking back? Or do I need to send them to wilson for replacement?

eta: Called wilson, talked to Matt in the CS Department. Told him my particular specs and timeline since im hitting a class in april. He said the springs/followers are wearable items, but he said he would take them and test to see if they are in spec, if they weren't, he would replace them.

He did say to leave the 2/3 behind, and not take them to class, which made Wilson jump +1 in my book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top