Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/18/2005 9:23:44 PM EDT
Should I get Playboy or Time?  Just kidding.

I have a new (to me) USP 40

1.  Should I keep fewer than the max of ten in the magazine so I don't screw up the spring?

2. How long to H&K magazines last?  I heard that they can be delicate.

thanks

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Springs weaken from compression and decompression, so storing a fully loaded mag would not hurt the spring at all. I read somewhere on this site of a member finding an m1 carbine with some loaded mags that were loaded in the 50's and they still worked fine. I have also read that HK mag springs seem to be weak and some people have actually had to send them back for replacement. It hasnt happened to me yet (600 rnds through my 2 mags).

Never heard of any breakage of the actual magazine. If they should break, regular 10 rounders arent that expensive (for now). That could be an excuse to stock up!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]

HK mag springs tend to be a little on the weak side to begin with but keeping a mag loaded for a while will not weaken the spring further.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about .40 cal mags, but I had 2 10rnd .45 factory mags that broke on me.  The welds on the back of the mag split.  The mags still worked fine though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the answers.  I went ahead and purchase two more magazines for $10 each at Cal's.  If nothing else, it will be nice not to have to switch out my personal protection rounds from the magazines before hitting the range.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the answers.  I went ahead and purchase two more magazines for $10 each at Cal's.  If nothing else, it will be nice not to have to switch out my personal protection rounds from the magazines before hitting the range.

Nice price. Does Cal's have a website?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Sure, I got the link here.

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/hkmagazines_40sw.htm
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't know about .40 cal mags, but I had 2 10rnd .45 factory mags that broke on me.  The welds on the back of the mag split.  The mags still worked fine though.

Remember that the 9mm and .40 FS mags are plastic bodies and not metal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sure, I got the link here.

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/hkmagazines_40sw.htm

Thanks! Damn no 45 ones at that price!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I think CDNN has a good deal going on mags. $10 for 10 rounders and around $35 for hi-caps, but the hi-caps come with a free 10 rounder
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
HK mag springs tend to be a little on the weak side to begin with but keeping a mag loaded for a while will not weaken the spring further.

That must be for the USPs, NOT the P7s.  My M13's work fine since '89. (I'm a poet and didn't know it )

FB
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#11]
another stupid mag question.  
Can you use a 40 USPc mag in a USPc 9mm and if so how many rounds will it hold?
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top