Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2010 10:54:24 AM EDT
I went to a local handgun rental range the other day with the task of finding a handgun I liked.

I choose to try out the .40 S&W as they didn't have a HK45 I could try.

I ended up liking the Sig P226, H&K P2000 and the H&K USP.

I believe I want to get one of the H&Ks, but the only thing I didn't like about it was the magazine release.  I'm just not used to pressing downward instead of inward.  It was hard enough that I sometimes would end up taking my trigger finger to press down on the magazine release instead of using my thumb.

How long does it take until it's more of a second nature to drop the magazines on an H&K?  When you pick up a different brand does the standard magazine releases on them now feel weird to you?
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I use my trigger finger to push the mag release on my USP... It comes very naturally after a while.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Thumb = fail.

Use trigger or middle finger, then it's easy and works fine.  Easier than trying to reach the thumb release on most pistols.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Middle finger FTW.  

You would shit if you saw how fast I can do mag changes in my HK45.  I love it so much that every one of my handguns has that style release.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I use my trigger finger to push the mag release on my USP... It comes very naturally after a while.

+1

Well put, that about sums it up.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Middle finger FTW.  

You would shit if you saw how fast I can do mag changes in my HK45.  I love it so much that every one of my handguns has that style release.

I use my middle finger too, it comes naturally and with just a little practice is extremely fast.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Grip hand middle finger = win.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Middle finger FTW.  

This.

I hate "standard" releases now.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Middle finger FTW.  

This.

I hate "standard" releases now.

+ 1
i'm a lefty so its always been a little different for me on most hanguns, but the HK45 mag release is the perfect setup for me.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Basically what everyone else has posted.

You're just "unfamiliar" with that type of release, once you get "used" to the mag release mag changes go "stupid fast"
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]
It doesn't take long at all to learn, and once you do, you'll wonder why there is any other type of release.
I don't have any issues when I grab my 1911, I don't 'look' for the HK release.
The only gun my muscle memory has trouble with is the Ruger Mark II.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I also release with my middle finger. When I first got my USPc I fumbled around using my thumb. Practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#13]

The "European" style mag release has been a blessing for me, I have short thumbs. I can't reach the release without considerably shifting the pistol in my hand on most "traditional" button style autos.

+1 for the mid finger on the grip hand.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Like others have advised, try different fingers. But, the spring does seem to ease up after a while.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#15]
It is the absolutely fastest mag change ever. I'm one of Ayoob's level 3 instructors and I use a method Enos developed.  Use both thumb and trigger finger in a pinch movement, trun the magwell just enough so you can see it as u push another mag in.  Using the trigger finger gets it away from the trigger making a N D impossible.  Using 2 digits u won't care how strong the spring is.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It is the absolutely fastest mag change ever. I'm one of Ayoob's level 3 instructors and I use a method Enos developed.  Use both thumb and trigger finger in a pinch movement, trun the magwell just enough so you can see it as u push another mag in.  Using the trigger finger gets it away from the trigger making a N D impossible.  Using 2 digits u won't care how strong the spring is.

Do you have to break your firing hand grip to activate the release with the thumb and trigger finger?

I tried that method over and over and it just didn't work for me.  One reason I like using my middle finger on my strong hand is that i do not have to change my grip at all.  Plus it keeps my trigger finger up along side of the slide where it belongs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I use my trigger finger to hit the mag release, it doesn't effect my grip at all. IMO, it's where every mag release should be, and I would take it over the norm any day.

My P30's mag release and decocker locale FTMFW, son!
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Being a lefty, the middle finger works so well, I don't even attempt to use the thumb anymore.  To me the downward mag release is more natural than the straight in or the push forward of the old Ruger P series guns.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I use my Trigger Finger.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Not that it is "right", but I also use thumb and middle finger simultaneously.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I use my middle finger and it's extremely natural and comfortable to me now. Whenever I pick up my brother's Glock or 1911, I find myself going for my USP release, which leads me to the conclusion that a compact USP in 9 or 40 will be my carry piece.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#22]
HK USP paddle release + trigger/index finger is just...

Can't even carry here in WI (yet) but I want a Walther PPS just because it has a paddle style too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Middle finger FTW.  

Same here.  I love the HK style release!

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:35:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I've always hated pushing in on my glocks and 1911s to drop the mag, it did not feel natural to me. Got my first H&K yesterday, USP .45 10rnd and I could not be more pleased with the mag release.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top