Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 2/26/2010 10:54:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2010 10:54:39 AM EDT by Rosebudteg]
I went to a local handgun rental range the other day with the task of finding a handgun I liked.

I choose to try out the .40 S&W as they didn't have a HK45 I could try.

I ended up liking the Sig P226, H&K P2000 and the H&K USP.

I believe I want to get one of the H&Ks, but the only thing I didn't like about it was the magazine release.  I'm just not used to pressing downward instead of inward.  It was hard enough that I sometimes would end up taking my trigger finger to press down on the magazine release instead of using my thumb.

How long does it take until it's more of a second nature to drop the magazines on an H&K?  When you pick up a different brand does the standard magazine releases on them now feel weird to you?
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:04:33 AM EDT
I use my trigger finger to push the mag release on my USP... It comes very naturally after a while.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:17:17 AM EDT
Thumb = fail.

Use trigger or middle finger, then it's easy and works fine.  Easier than trying to reach the thumb release on most pistols.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:40:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2010 11:51:23 AM EDT by Afterwork_Ninja]
Middle finger FTW.  

You would shit if you saw how fast I can do mag changes in my HK45.  I love it so much that every one of my handguns has that style release.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:50:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By madmedic:
I use my trigger finger to push the mag release on my USP... It comes very naturally after a while.

+1

Well put, that about sums it up.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:03:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:
Middle finger FTW.  

You would shit if you saw how fast I can do mag changes in my HK45.  I love it so much that every one of my handguns has that style release.

I use my middle finger too, it comes naturally and with just a little practice is extremely fast.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2010 12:12:41 PM EDT by SHIVAN]
Grip hand middle finger = win.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:29:18 PM EDT

Middle finger FTW.  

This.

I hate "standard" releases now.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 1:59:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Forgetfull:

Middle finger FTW.  

This.

I hate "standard" releases now.

+ 1
i'm a lefty so its always been a little different for me on most hanguns, but the HK45 mag release is the perfect setup for me.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:18:03 PM EDT
Basically what everyone else has posted.

You're just "unfamiliar" with that type of release, once you get "used" to the mag release mag changes go "stupid fast"
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:38:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2010 4:41:31 PM EDT by PO2Hammer]
It doesn't take long at all to learn, and once you do, you'll wonder why there is any other type of release.
I don't have any issues when I grab my 1911, I don't 'look' for the HK release.
The only gun my muscle memory has trouble with is the Ruger Mark II.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:25:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2010 9:25:52 AM EDT by Bedore]
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 10:21:05 AM EDT
I also release with my middle finger. When I first got my USPc I fumbled around using my thumb. Practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 10:46:05 PM EDT

The "European" style mag release has been a blessing for me, I have short thumbs. I can't reach the release without considerably shifting the pistol in my hand on most "traditional" button style autos.

+1 for the mid finger on the grip hand.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 11:10:17 AM EDT
Like others have advised, try different fingers. But, the spring does seem to ease up after a while.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 5:48:39 PM EDT
It is the absolutely fastest mag change ever. I'm one of Ayoob's level 3 instructors and I use a method Enos developed.  Use both thumb and trigger finger in a pinch movement, trun the magwell just enough so you can see it as u push another mag in.  Using the trigger finger gets it away from the trigger making a N D impossible.  Using 2 digits u won't care how strong the spring is.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 5:54:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By threefeathers:
It is the absolutely fastest mag change ever. I'm one of Ayoob's level 3 instructors and I use a method Enos developed.  Use both thumb and trigger finger in a pinch movement, trun the magwell just enough so you can see it as u push another mag in.  Using the trigger finger gets it away from the trigger making a N D impossible.  Using 2 digits u won't care how strong the spring is.

Do you have to break your firing hand grip to activate the release with the thumb and trigger finger?

I tried that method over and over and it just didn't work for me.  One reason I like using my middle finger on my strong hand is that i do not have to change my grip at all.  Plus it keeps my trigger finger up along side of the slide where it belongs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:58:21 AM EDT
I use my trigger finger to hit the mag release, it doesn't effect my grip at all. IMO, it's where every mag release should be, and I would take it over the norm any day.

My P30's mag release and decocker locale FTMFW, son!
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 10:58:25 AM EDT
Being a lefty, the middle finger works so well, I don't even attempt to use the thumb anymore.  To me the downward mag release is more natural than the straight in or the push forward of the old Ruger P series guns.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:14:44 PM EDT
I use my Trigger Finger.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:58:36 PM EDT
Not that it is "right", but I also use thumb and middle finger simultaneously.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:46:36 PM EDT
I use my middle finger and it's extremely natural and comfortable to me now. Whenever I pick up my brother's Glock or 1911, I find myself going for my USP release, which leads me to the conclusion that a compact USP in 9 or 40 will be my carry piece.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:52:53 PM EDT
HK USP paddle release + trigger/index finger is just...

Can't even carry here in WI (yet) but I want a Walther PPS just because it has a paddle style too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 7:01:27 PM EDT

Middle finger FTW.  

Same here.  I love the HK style release!

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:35:19 AM EDT
I've always hated pushing in on my glocks and 1911s to drop the mag, it did not feel natural to me. Got my first H&K yesterday, USP .45 10rnd and I could not be more pleased with the mag release.
Page Handguns » H&K
Top Top