Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2003 8:00:26 PM EDT
I usually oil my firing pin in my 1911 and its spring and put a drop in the tunnel, mainly because I live by the ocean and I am paranoid of the spring rusting, etc.

I believe I've heard this is bad, but I don't know why?  Ive shot thousands of rounds through it with an oiled firing pin.  It is however a wilson bulletproof pin too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesnt need it.

Invites debris to collect there.

In a holster, the oil will leech downward naturally, onto and into your primer, thus making your 1st round a dead round.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:52:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't do it. The oil can kill your primers and invites crud to build up sooner in the firing pin channel. This can cause your pistol to fail to fire. Keep it clean and dry.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, what he said
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Obviously, you don't need to pack it with grease, I think we agree on that.
For my usage...storage/range use, and never holstered, my needs may differ from CCW types, so what ever residual oil is on my fingers when reassembling, the spring and firing pin get it.
That's a very thin film.
I don't want to be surprised with a chunk of rust where a firing pin once lived.
That happened to the rear Accro sight on my King Cobra, I had to drill out the old rusted spring chunks. (purchased that way)
Of course there's no live primer involved, so it gets squirted.
I've been playing with industrial dry lubes on .22's and they do seem to stay cleaner longer.
I should try 'em in the 1911's firing pin channel, kinda splitting the diff between rust or a protective coating that dries...another experiment for my list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top