Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 6:38:39 PM EDT
I have an old Custom Classic series I Kimber that I don't shoot much since I don't
like the smooth front strap and the sights. I do like the guns trigger and it is accurate
and reliable.

I'm unsure if I  should I have the old guns front strap checkered, add night sights and
get a tuff finish (like Bearcoat or something similar) or should I trade/sell it for a Kimber
with all those options in stainless.

My question is are the newer series II guns as good as the old ones other than the obvious
stuff? Would you guys put the bucks into the old Kimber or sell/trade it off for a newer one?
I don't carry 1911s but I like to take them to the range to shoot .  I just  don't keep up to date on them like other firearms so I'm asking for advice.

I know price wise it will probably cost more to modify the old gun rathar than trading. However,
it is a good shooter and if cost where no object I'd get a Les Baer!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I would trade/sell.  If you're an internal extractor kind of guy, you can always get the Warrior.  If you shop around, you'll still see some series I Custom Target models from Kimber out there.  

BTW, if you decide to sell the current one, post it here first so we can have dibs.

R.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd keep it and have the work done.

Novak
Tripp
Yost
Yam

One of those guys....

There are some other who do great work, but those top my list of desires for 1911 work.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an old classic stainless series 1. I am having night sights added and a couple of other bells and whistles added as well.  I am doing this because I know my gun is accurate and reliable. It's probably a cheaper way to go too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have an old classic stainless series 1. I am having night sights added and a couple of other bells and whistles added as well.  I am doing this because I know my gun is accurate and reliable. It's probably a cheaper way to go too.

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd keep it and have the work done.

Novak
Tripp
Yost
Yam

One of those guys....

There are some other who do great work, but those top my list of desires for 1911 work.

+1.  If I could find a nice Custom Classsic series 1 I would pick it up in a heart beat and send it off to one these guys.  The waiting list for Yam is loooonnnngggg.  Not sure about  the wait on Novak or Yost.  From what I've read about Tripp, he does awesome work is a realitively short period of time.  Good luck.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The wait for Yost is about 6-8 months... dont ask me how I know <sooo poor>
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replys. I haven't fully decided but I am leaning toward keeping it and
having the work done by Rocky Mt. Arms. They do the Bearcoat finish and also do
gunsmithing. In fact they used to sell a 1911.

The only thing there is a dealer that has a Les Baer I'd like to trade for.  I have a LB Premier II
and I'd like a fixed sight 1911 to supplement it.  I just might do something stupid like tradefor
that except upgrading the Kimber makes more sense.

I appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

DAMN!    That thing looks sweet! What kind of grips are those?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:15:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:08:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only thing there is a dealer that has a Les Baer I'd like to trade for.  I have a LB Premier II
and I'd like a fixed sight 1911 to supplement it.  I just might do something stupid like tradefor
that except upgrading the Kimber makes more sense.

I appreciate the feedback.

I'll vote for keeping it and having some work done.  The gun is a good shooter and you already "know" the gun.  Add a little to it and it will be that much better.  As for the LB guns, well everybody has an opinion....  I wouldn't buy one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Without question - KEEP the series one gun!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top