Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 5:04:18 PM EDT
Well, I don't post here often, because frankly, I'm not 21, I love 1911's, and know quite a bit about them.

I'm pretty sure the first one I'll save for will either be a Les Baer .45 Thunder Ranch Home Defense Special, or a Wilson Combat CQB (a wild hair wants a 10mm), either way 47 D's are a must, and MIM is a No. ;)

Anyway, My brother's thinking about becoming a  truck driver, well not thinking, deciding quite soon. I'm not sure how many of you are aware of it, but being a truck driver is a very risky job, you drive late at night sometimes, you're hauling sometimes tens of thousands of dollars of merchandise, and they've been hijacked/robbed many times. My brother doesn't know much about Fire arms, he's 21, but I do, I enjoy reading and gathering information about them, always have.

He's also not exactly in the best financial position, I think he said a 500$ max for whatever, I think he should go .45 with some good sized 185-200 gr. Federal Premium Hollow Points in a HK USP, Glock 21, or something like that, I mean I know alot of you believe in the cheaper 1911's and stuff, and they're great and all, but we have a relative who was almost held up when his truck broke down and I'm just concerned about my brother's safety, and I wanted your guys opinion.

I mean honestly, in this forum the 1911 forum has some of the best threads and advice on fire arms around, (between us, I don't understand why there was a glock inaugural thread...10 pages of the same hand gun just different caliber...mostly same color too.)

But Anyway, I'm just trying to talk him into getting a CCW License, and a .45 or .40 S&W and I wanted the opinions of professionals, for the money what is the most reliable.

Thanks for your time, and as soon as I turn 21, I plan on owning a 1911.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Hardly a professional here, but when somebody throws out a price of $500 or less I typically say Glock is the answer.  Any caliber is available, almost any size and you even have a couple of color options.  I love 1911's and I carry one, but there is something to be said about a pistol like a Glock that you can pull out of the box, rarely have to adjust the sights and have it reliable from day one.  

There are 1911's out there, at good prices, that will do the same thing, but I think the chances are greater with a 1911 that some tweaking may be needed.  I don't believe this to be a design issue, I believe it is a manufacturing issue.  

Another option for this price range would be the Springfield XD.  Those that have them love 'em.  I'm not a fan, but I'll give the XD its due.  

As money is usually a concern, you may suggest your brother look at a Ruger in .45 also.  The new model 345 I think, has a better feel than the older models, is a single stack .45ACP, is cheaper than a Glock and is extremely reliable.  

Ruger, the ugliest pistol worth buying.

One last thing.  Sounds good on the caliber options, .40 or .45 should be just fine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
what part of SC are you in, i work at one of the local ranges in Surfside. If his max price is 500.00 we can get him a springer GI with extra mags, holster...etc. Unfortunately, our shop had a fire this past week, so the actual range is down, (being used for storage) until the A&I guys can get the shop restored, so he won't be able to get any range time in with it. The GI model we had wasn't hurt by the fire so AFAIK it's still in the case. If you live in the area, drop by tomorrow.

The springer would be a good base gun to start with.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
We live in Greenville.

He's also, not the type to change or modify a gun, he's kind of simplistic about it.  See I look at parts, and like to figure this stuff out, he doesn't.

I would like to get a 1911 for him, but frankly, I just...When your life is on the line, I mean I know that's a coined phrase, but when your life is literally depending on a gun to fire and function no matter what, It's a huge deal.

I mean, he won't probably clean it properly, it will probably be abused, see, he needs something to kind of just grab out of the box and use, and not have to worry about, I mean to the point of not even changing the sights or grips kind of thing, or installing a mag well, or a trigger job kind of thing.

He'll probably extend a little bit past 500$ for a good fierarm, but that's just like his price, you know we all say a price, but going 50-75 maybe even a 100 over for a good quality product is an exception, and if he won't, I will.

I don't mean to shoot down your invitation for the Springfield, I think they're good products, but I don't really think he's going to take the time to really go in depth with it.

I'll talk to him about it though, and see what he likes, He's not the type to sit down and study this stuff.  Realistically though, I'm also concerned about the weight of a 1911 and comfort level,  He's an average sized guy, but I think if it's not comfortable he won't carry it, you know?  What I'm considering is an H&K USP in .40 S&W, Maybe a SIG P226R DAK in .40 S&W but for aside interest he does like 1911's, but for carry is all I'm saying.

But anyway, thanks again for your time and concern, I'd like to stop by, but I'm not quite sure we'll have the time, and I've never heard of Surfside, you sound like you're near the Coast.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like he's not the "gun guy" you are.  That being the case, it sounds as if he would be best served with a .357 revolver.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
live in conway, work in surfside. it's on the south end of Myrtle Beach. Even though this is a 1911 forum, if he wants to keep it simple, go with the glock...but the springers i've seen and fired are good to go outta the box also, and once that 1911 fever hits him, he'll have it modded. It's a proven fact, hardly anyone can leave one stock..

eta, even after the fire, we still have a decent selection, most are still in the back getting the soot and crude off, who knows, may find a great deal on a "fire discount"
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not the "gun guy" I'm not claiming to be an expert or even experienced, I just, I read into this stuff and look into it. But I'm just, I've just been interested in them for a long time, and he just, I have to explain alot of stuff to him about it, he's not stupid, he just doesn't have the interest in like say the difference between MIM and forged Steel parts, or the difference  the grain size of a bullet will make, or what certain loads will do, he knows basic stuff, like what hollow points do, etc.

I think you're right about the 1911 too, but I'm just thinking when you truck, you also load and unload your truck, that's a '53 foot trailer that's about 10' tall too, carrying up to ball park 15,000 to 20,000 lbs of stuff. If you've got a 2 or 3 lb. full house 5'' barrel 1911 that's about 9 inches long and about 5 or 6 inches tall, and about an inch and a half wide, You're more likely to leave that in the dash than you are on your hip, you know?

But down the road, I know we both like .45's and my Grandfather had a S&W Model I believe 27 or 28 .357 with a 4'' barrel that was nice. The other thing I was thinking about is though someone who has mastered a .45 is very effective, but fiddling with a thumb and grip safety while drawing to somebody who's never used one is not exactly ideal in a high intensity situation you know?

I know I'm being sort of snappy with this stuff, and I apologize, I don't mean to come off as egotistical or anything, I'm just trying to rule in all the factors, and be quite frankly honest with myself about it. Personnaly, I'd love to carry a 1911, and he said he wanted a 1911, but I'm thinking realistically down the road, they're fun to shoot and carry, but in his job, of sitting, and loading and unloading stuff, it's a bit too bulky, just my opinion, I'm not ruling out that I'm wrong either, probably am.

EDIT:

The Only thing also, I'm concerned about with those older S&W's is they don't have enough safety features, I mean I'm not going to bash you about it, but a friend of my dad's accidentally killed himself with a .44 Mag S&W Revolver, it went off in his lap and shot him in the stomach, there was nothing anybody could do for him at that point.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't bother with a handgun in that position, honestly..I'd go with a shotgun. Big ol' pump action bruiser. Legal everywhere, etc. The only major laws prohibiting such are HUNTING laws by gaming commissions, so...

Just my $0.02

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#8]
You think so, What kind of Brand, Mossberg or Remington?

M500 wouldn't be too bad, especially with a Pistol Grip Kit and 20'' Barrel, 5 rd. Tube, I believe you can get both 2 3/4'' and 3'' in them, Buck shot.  Then again, I saw a Mossberg 590 with a 8 rd tube, heat shield and bead sights, 20'' barrel that could take 2 3/4'' and 3'' certainly, Only concern was it was a full stock, you could switch out to ghost ring sights., they were going for $390, and I believe you have to have a Level III for anything with a PG Kit with over a 5 rd. tube capacity, Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh well, I'll talk to him tonight, thanks guys, You've been great, thanks for the input, I'd appreciate as much as I could get.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, I'll stop now.

EDIT:

Whoops thought he deleted it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#11]
In order of preference for a new shooter....

Ruger GP100 .357 mag 4" barrel
Glock 22 .40S&W

No manual safety to deal with...just point and shoot.
Both are easy to learn and use.
Both are perfect for the type of person and situation you describe.
Both are in the right price range.
Come to think of it....tell him to 'get both'
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:37:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wouldn't bother with a handgun in that position, honestly..I'd go with a shotgun. Big ol' pump action bruiser. Legal everywhere, etc. The only major laws prohibiting such are HUNTING laws by gaming commissions, so...

Just my $0.02

Good point.  Along that line, I seem to remember either Col. Cooper or Clint Smith recommending a lever action rifle for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:25:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I drove 18-wheeelers for a couple of years in the 1980's. I always had a pistol on board. My thinking was: they could have the truck & load, it wasn't mine anyways, but don't start on ME. In carrying either on board, or on me, I certainly violated virtually dozens of state, local, and perhaps, federal laws. C'est le guerre.

As good as the shotgun/lever gun recommendations are, he really needs something he can carry on his person in wonderlands such as Detroit, Trenton NJ, Filthydelphia, etc. He also needs to be able to quickly hide it in the truck from searchers at truck check stations, deliveries to federal installations, even crossing the border into Canada.

I had an address-only load that went to the Florida State Penitentary, where, after arriving in their driveway, I quickly disassembled a portion of my truck's dashboard and tucked away my S&W M19, and all went without incident. You couldn't do that with a long gun, nor can you carry a long gun through a half-mile of  dark parking lot to get to the restaurant.

My recommendation: something similar to what I carried, a 2-1/2" S&W M19 .357, or the Ruger GP100 as mentioned, or a smallish semi auto like a S&W 3913.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#14]
You sound like a 1911 guy. Your brother sounds like a Glock guy. (Not that there's anything wrong with that....)

Quoting SGB's sig line here, as it seems appropriate;

"The Glock is a pistol for someone who must carry a sidearm, the 1911 is for someone who likes to"
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#15]
While it's not as effective as a shotgun or rifle a handgun is easiest to keep handy. I would agree that a .357 revolver or a Glock is probably the best choice for this situation. Also check the legality of carrying in a commercial vehicle and warn him about possible legal issues. If it's not allowed then prepare him for what to do if he is stopped and how to respond (ie, hiding it, refusing searches, etc) and let him make the final decision of whether it is worth the risk.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My recommendation: something similar to what I carried, a 2-1/2" S&W M19 .357, or the Ruger GP100 as mentioned, or a smallish semi auto like a S&W 3913.

for the ruger revolvers the sp101 is the better choice.  it is smaller and made for concealed purposes.  also the ruger autos are ugly yes but built like a tank and won't fail.  they are also under $400.  and if he is new to shooting he might want to think more along the lines of 9mm.  now as a 1911 guy you likely frown on that round but for a newbie it is probably about the best.  also it may give him the reassurance that even if he is a bad shot he has more tries than with most .45acp pistols.  two others to look at: cz75 in 9mm or .40sw and the eaa witness.  the witness is a cz75 clone and runs a bit cheaper.  the cz is excellent and around $450 while the witness by all accounts is a wonderful pistol as well.  it also comes in .45acp.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Alright, here's what we figured, I sat down and spoke to him, he said what he will and will not do, he read all of my posts and agreed with me.

He's deciding between a Glock 21 or 23, simply because he doesn't want to put any time in it, it's reliable, it's got alot of good general features, it's simple to operate, and it's not as exotic or hard to find as say a H&K or SIG, I think he's going to go 23 I'm trying to talk him into a .40 S&W.

Anyway, thanks for your time, you guys were great help.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sounds like he's not the "gun guy" you are.  That being the case, it sounds as if he would be best served with a .357 revolver.

+1

A good used S&W .357 for $250 or so goes a long ways on a limited budget.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#19]
You know, I've heard that before, and it's got me thinking, next time I go down to my Uncle's house I'll ask him about seeing that old S&W model 27 or 28 .357 4'' for the heck of it.

It was a good solid revolver, reliable, solid steel, good wooden grips, finish was in good shape, it was blued I believe, the cylinder was smooth, it had a butter smooth action, I liked the trigger, and the barrel had no visible scarring, scratches or pits in it. But the only thing is, I don't really want my brother dinging up my Grandfather's .357 by using it as a daily carry weapon, you know?

He passed away not too long ago, and I kind of want to keep it in a glass case kind of thing, or atleast, not take it out and use it as a daily weapon, that and the afore mentioned problem with the guy my dad knew who shot himself in the stomach with a .44 S&W.

I think the drop safety feature, and detached firing pin, that and the trigger system, it has double the ammunition capacity of the .357, etc,that and I think it's just a good first kind of hand gun for purpose, it doesn't matter what happens to it. He doesn't want to put the kind of money into like a combat 1911 like I would or something like that, that and the fore mentioned problems of the profession, etc.

I think he's going to go Glock, like my dad, (unfortunately).

Thanks for the input though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#20]
You said: "I think he's going to go Glock, like my dad, (unfortunately)."

I love Glocks - I have 3 of them - a 17, a 30, and a 20. I want a 21 like a little kid at Xmas.

That said, I wouldn't take a Glock on the trucking road with me, cause for safety's sake it takes a little extra gear  - like a holster.

Every time I carried on my person while on the road, I Mexican carried - grabbed it from its easy-to-reach hidey hole, stuffed it down my waistband and there it was. If I'd had to fret over a holster or positioning it just so in the truck or on me, I'd have said the hell with it a lot of the time.

You get awful tired and stressed out on the road, and little aggravations are to be avoided. If it was me right now, it would be a DA/SA auto with a decocker, or a wheelgun, or a "whatever" that I could grab and stuff and go without fuss or worrying about an accidental discharge, as improperly handled Glocks will do.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I am a truck driver AND I own it.
I also have my CCW.
I pack everywhere I go, BUT I only go to the states that honors my CCW (NC issued).

He is going to be a company driver, he needs to be aware of company policy. He does not want to get shit-canned from his first job for "breaking company policy". They will report to DAC (like a drivers national register) if he screws up or not.  Long guns, including shottys have different regs for different states.  I know of NO LAW PREVENTING A TRUCK DRIVER FROM PACKING!  So a pistol IS the ONLY way to go, providing he has his CCW.

As for the type/ brand we all know how that goes!
First if he is not a great shooter , get a G17 or G19. Nice Federal "personal Defense Rounds".

Dinner arrived, BRB

Ok, where was I?
I either carry a G36 or a G26, sometimes a G17, depends on what mood I am in.
Let him rent a few and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I just give glock owners a hard time, but they're a good solid pistol, if it wasn't I wouldn't be recommending it for my brother to depend his life on. Food for thought, no? To be quite frank, the only thing that annoys me, is there's not much you can do to it after market, except change the color, maybe get a trigger job (I've seen them offered), one of the most hideous magazine wells I've ever seen, change the sights and maybe a hi cap magazine. I'm the kind who likes variety, and changing parts, and getting all into things. It's a package deal gun, It's one of those guns you just don't really modify or change, there are only 4 parts when you disassemble it anyway.

I was talking to him about getting a CCW License, and I was trying to get him into get all of his paper work in order, he seemed kind of interested, but there's some paper work involved.  He has one disorderly conduct charge, (Nothing big, just an overnighter and it was years back, but it's still there) and I think he said he didn't plan on carrying it all the time anyway, just maybe keeping it in the dash, or with him in his hotel room when he sleeps at night.

I think he should keep it on his person, because what good is a gun if you don't have access to it, you know?

I think I'll have to stay on him about the CCW License, I think it's a good idea, as far as how he's going to transport it, he'll figure it out, he said he wanted a shoulder rig, He'll figure out fast what he likes and what he doesn't.  

Anyway, I appreciate the input, you guys have been great help and aid.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#23]
There are plenty of options, and they are being covered well by all the posts. Just so long as he has one. One of the unsolved murders where I live involved a trucker found shot to death in his truck on an off ramp. Sad story.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't had any illusions about the danger of the business, not only is driving one of the most dangerous activities if not the most dangerous activity people take part in every day, but there's a very large criminal element in people going after truckers, etc, from anything of trying to flag them down and pull them over, to shooting them at rest stations, etc.

That's why from the moment I heard about him considering this, I've been looking at fire arms, spoke to him about vests, he didn't think an awful lot about those. But I figure, if you're going to carry a gun, expecting trouble, why not have a vest as well, I mean, it's pretty logical in my opinion.

Anyway, that's another story.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#25]
traveling: a long gun--preferably a 12ga shotgun  or a AK

pisol: backup to the long arm--in this case, more than likely a glock

these suggestions are buget minded, will work w/ min. maintainence, out of the box reliablity
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
<snip>
As money is usually a concern, you may suggest your brother look at a Ruger in .45 also.  The new model 345 I think, has a better feel than the older models, is a single stack .45ACP, is cheaper than a Glock and is extremely reliable.  

Ruger, the ugliest pistol worth buying.

One last thing.  Sounds good on the caliber options, .40 or .45 should be just fine.

I loves my Rugers.  And you can get 'em under your $500 amount, a few extra magazines, and fill em all with good ammo...and still probably have enough money left over for you and your brother to go to lunch.  Just shop around.  I recently picked up a 93DAO (9mm) for my CCW for $250.

So they don't win Beauty prizes....they are built like tanks.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Try walking around a rest stop with a 12ga & see what sort of attention you gather, sir. With a pistol, no one knows you have it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#28]
That's what I was thinking, that and, every time you go to a weigh station, you have to explain it, also, a company is probably not for you having a 12 ga. in the Cab, or an AK, though it would be nice.

You could probably get away with it in Iraq though. (No Joke) Truck drivers there make like 300,000 a year, but, there's also the thing of being shot at with RPG's, etc.

Anyway, just one man's opinion.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try walking around a rest stop with a 12ga & see what sort of attention you gather, sir. With a pistol, no one knows you have it.

no, no--for the truck

pistol on the person, at all times of course
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I brought that up to him, that and getting a bullet proof vest, and he just looked at me and said,

"Brandon, I'm not going into World War 3."

So, Rifles and Shotguns are no.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#31]
www.springfieldarmory.com

Get him a Springfield Armory XD Service in 45ACP.

It carries 13+1 rounds of 45ACP bullets.  That's a big bang with a high capacity.

Easily concealable in a truck.  Easily maneuverable.  Easy to clean; no tools required.

Highly reliable, shoots straight out of the box..Great Feel and pointability.  Nice trigger pull.

Fires like a single action pistol on all pulls.  He may not want to have to pull hard on the first and easy on the next pulls.

Gun can be had for $400-470 if you shop around.  I love my XD 9mm.  

Please take him with you and let him actually handle the handguns in the store.  That's the best way to help decide.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Showed him one, he liked it, sort of, I'll have to show him, I kind of overloaded him with choices the first time.

I don't think he really understands the major difference, I showed him a P226R in .40 S&W, a H&K USP, a Glock 21 and 23, A Springfield XD, and a S&W Sigma, so, he just wants to go glock because my dad has one.

EDIT: and from the untrained eye, all of those polymer pistols are just about the same, and they're about all the same caliber, and same magazine capacity, and dimensions, he just, there are intricate differences, but, I'll talk to him.

(I really should finish a complete thought before I hit submit.)

EDIT: (This is a completely different through but not double posting. ;))

The only real difference between those is a 1/8-1/4 of a lb. here, a 1/2'' in length here, + or - a magazine capacity here, etc. They're all just about the same exact design, but anyway, that's all I've got on that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Showed him one, he liked it, sort of, I'll have to show him, I kind of overloaded him with choices the first time.

I don't think he really understands the major difference, I showed him a P226R in .40 S&W, a H&K USP, a Glock 21 and 23, A Springfield XD, and a S&W Sigma, so, he just wants to go glock because my dad has one.

EDIT: and from the untrained eye, all of those polymer pistols are just about the same, and they're about all the same caliber, and same magazine capacity, and dimensions, he just, there are intricate differences, but, I'll talk to him.

(I really should finish a complete thought before I hit submit.)

I'll make him a deal on a G36 or a G26, what part of SC?
I have two Glocks I am putting on the EE tonight or tomorrow. PM me for details.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I drove 18-wheeelers for a couple of years in the 1980's. I always had a pistol on board. My thinking was: they could have the truck & load, it wasn't mine anyways, but don't start on ME. In carrying either on board, or on me, I certainly violated virtually dozens of state, local, and perhaps, federal laws. C'est le guerre.

As good as the shotgun/lever gun recommendations are, he really needs something he can carry on his person in wonderlands such as Detroit, Trenton NJ, Filthydelphia, etc. He also needs to be able to quickly hide it in the truck from searchers at truck check stations, deliveries to federal installations, even crossing the border into Canada.

I had an address-only load that went to the Florida State Penitentary, where, after arriving in their driveway, I quickly disassembled a portion of my truck's dashboard and tucked away my S&W M19, and all went without incident. You couldn't do that with a long gun, nor can you carry a long gun through a half-mile of  dark parking lot to get to the restaurant.

Crossing the border into Canada with an undeclared firearm is a huge no-no. If you get caught prison time is in your future no doubt.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#35]
While I've only read the first few responses to this topic, I can say that a truck driver shouldn't, and most likely can't, carry a pistol when crossing state lines unless he is aware of all reciprocity laws.  I'd go for a shotgun, as I can't see any other viable option.  A handgun would be perfect, but again, state laws differ and you can't carry in all state.  Also, if he's going from Carolina to the Northeast, he will be breaking the law carrying a pistol in most states.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crossing the border into Canada with an undeclared firearm is a huge no-no. If you get caught prison time is in your future no doubt.

I haven't driven a truck for 20 years. When I WAS driving, it was far less of a hyper-paranoid end-of-the-world attitude about guns, although, I agree, I would have been in a world of shit had I been caught at the border.

I recall yakking with a JB Hunt driver in a rest area out west somewhere, who showed me his travel arsenal, a 44 Dirty Harry Magnum, a pump shotgun in the sleeper, and a little North American derringer attached to his belt buckle. To each his own.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#37]
most every company has policies aginst guns in trucks. most every shipper and reciever has em too. reciprocity laws.. some states have mag limits or bullet restrictons. most likely will be in a world of shit if ever caught. DOT inspections.

its not that dangerous out there.

very few hijackings occur, most trucks are stolen while driver is home and truck is parked elsewhere.

the vest idea is pretty idiotic imo

common sense. dont park in the boonies. keep truck locked. well lit areas. cell phone is an invalueable tool on the road. dont tell anyone what you're hauling

i sugest joining OOIDA its the NRA of trucking.

i haven driven truck for years. my parents ran team for a while with a company called AATI. they drove a fully armored W900L KW very well armed at all times. they hauled high security loads for US Treasury. multi-million loads easily. hauled $60 in platinum once.

it a rough life, being away from friends and family.

if you have any truckin questions send an IM my way
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#38]
DeadSled pretty much said what I was going to. I've researching trucking companies lately myself and not one of them has not repeatedly stated "no weapons of any kind, but especially firearms" You don't even want to get into shotguns and rifles, I know you said no about it anyway, but I know some states will go after armored trucks for having a shotgun inside, let alone regular trucks.

He needs to talk to the school/company whatever he's going to about the firearms thing. His best bet may be a nice bottle of pepper spray and a large, thick wooden stick. Most companies I've spoken to won't even allow a dog, though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
We live in Greenville.

He's also, not the type to change or modify a gun, he's kind of simplistic about it.  See I look at parts, and like to figure this stuff out, he doesn't.

I would like to get a 1911 for him, but frankly, I just...When your life is on the line, I mean I know that's a coined phrase, but when your life is literally depending on a gun to fire and function no matter what, It's a huge deal.

I mean, he won't probably clean it properly, it will probably be abused, see, he needs something to kind of just grab out of the box and use, and not have to worry about, **snip**

Stop right there...

Smith and Wesson J Frame used in .38Spl rated to handle +P

For a cheaper/new alternative that is equally as good in function if not form look at Taurus and Rossi revolvers... in that order.

I suggest a 3" or 4" barrel

You could take an S&W out of the box and shoot it for your entire life without cleaning it and as long as you shoot jacketed bullets, nothing that is full lead. You could probably NEVER clean it and it would still go bang every time!

If he's just gotta have an Auto Loader I agree with the Ruger auto suggestions above.. Cheap reliable, ugly.

Be sure to address the internal safetys versus the external manual safetys issue.

Some people..... INCLUDING me..... are put off by a lack of an external safety. For ME there's nothing like the peace of mind that you have a manual safety ON to make carrying your CCW more comfortable. I'll lose the .3 seconds it takes me to flip a safety off in a SD situation for the comfort of knowing my gun is locked.

for that reason alone in a carry all day situation

1911 or BHP >  Sig
Makarov > Wheel gun
SA would get my $$ before Glock

etc.

being new to CCW I'm still a little skiddish about having a loaded firearm on my person and that manual safety allows me to carry everyday with complete peace of mind.

Plus a C&L SA auto just looks cool.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#40]
He better check Federal DOT regs.  I'm no expert, but I was told by drivers, back in the 70s & 80s that it was illegal then to carry any firearms.  Better safe than sorry.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the Info,

I genuinely appreciate it, getting his License is about 4 to 6 months out, so he's still kind of undecided, I'll let you guys know when he makes a decision.

Thanks for the input, and your time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top