Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 6:06:05 AM EDT
I have a Kimber TLE II, I’d like a Commander sized 1911.

Is the frame the same size (dust cover length) between a ‘government’ and a ‘commander’?

Should I even attempt to replace the slide or am I looking for trouble by even thinking about this?

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:11:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 6:15:57 AM EDT by pulpsmack]
commander frame = Govt frame

ETA: if you like you like. It would be cheaper to get a commander frame and slap it on. To do it right however, Slide + proper smithing for good slide-to-frame fit is somewhat close to replacing the pistol.

I would keep the Kimber as is and if the wild hare jumps up the ass to get commander get it new or consider a compact (Commander slide with an officer frame for excellent CCW). You just don't get much in terms of concealment benefit for the chop of slide on a commander.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:07:30 AM EDT
sti makes one the same size, every other manuf has a shorter dust cover on a commander frame.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:38:53 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies. Funds are low right now, I just wanted to see what the possibilities were.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:09:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:13:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 4:14:36 PM EDT by hobbs5624]
Government, left, Commander right

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:40:25 AM EDT
Buy a commander sized gun.

As Hobbs illustated, the frames are different.

Colt uses a 4 1/4" slide.

Most other makers use a 4" slide.

I wouldn't go shorter than 4".  As you shorten the slide, you have less sight radius and less slide travel, which allows the new round less time to to feed from the magazine.  

Top Top