Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/29/2005 8:42:26 AM EDT
Hoping to find an answer to a chambering problem. I have a Service Model Ace that was manufactured in what I believe was the late '70's. I have had the gun since new, and have always seemed to have a problem with it chambering. The slide seems to fail, more often that not, to go into battery when chambering a round after firing. This has occurred with numerous brands of ammunition, all of which were high velocity, and with different magazines. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the floating chamber or not. It seems I read something a number of years ago that these guns were a little finiky, but I don't remember the details. Are there any lubrication tricks that might resolve the problem. I probably shouldn't even shoot it, since it is minty and in the original box, but it is too much to resist! Anyone have similar problems or solutions?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:11:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 4:20:51 PM EDT by fxntime]
If the empty is ejecting OK then inspect the chamber where the FP would hit if one dry fired it without a cartridge. Wonder if there is a spot where metal has peened into the chamber a bit. Also try a light lubricant, and take a full mag and try to feed each cartridge into the chamber SAFELY, if it goes in easily ok if not see where its hitting or sticking. a small peen would slow down the slide enough to possibly contribute to a FTB. Also, try a few types of ammo, .22 guns are finicky and if you find a type and lot that works well and is accurate buy a bunch because the next lot might be completely different. Also see how tight the BBL bushing is, and the frame to slide fit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:46:32 PM EDT
One thing that happens is if the recoil spring is weak the gun starts opening up before the bullet has left the chamber and into the barrel. Result: you get deposits of lead in the floating chamber recess which doesn't let the slide go fully into battery. Take the floating chamber out and see if you have a buildup of lead. If so try a heavier spring
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:59:05 AM EDT
thank all of you for your replies...taking the gun to Colorado in a month and will have a lot of time to experiment..
Top Top