BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2020 5:48:18 PM EDT
Pros/cons?

Really interested in thsi gun and have read mixed reviews

Cheapest I can get it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Forget cheap ,new ones start at $1000.00 plus . There is no down side if you don't shoot nuclear level ammo.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Dan Wesson 10mm 1911. Much better quality, with supported ramps for real 10mm rounds (which the Colt does not have), not the cheap, watered down 10mm short cartridges that most ammo manufacturers like Sig, Federal, and others make.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Dan Wesson is a definite want, but woah on the price
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
What other guns have supported ramps other than DW?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen older ones change hands for $650-$700 people like them but hate feeding them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I think Kimber....buy Dan Wesson...trust me.  If you go the build it route plan on spending 2500 bucks if you want it done right.

This one came in right around 2700, I think. Give or take a couple hundred.

Ramped barrel and match bushing, flat FPS, steel MSH, no speed bump grips safety, extra strength recoil and mainspring, G.I. guide and plug, Kensights, customized VZ grips with Delta Emblems, undercut trigger guard, 800 bucks in labor, yada yada, yada.  It's a great gun and it was worth it to me because I am a Colt guy.....annnnnnnnnnnd I could have saved a bazillion bucks by just buying a DW.  I would have had a gun that was nearly just as good and plenty good enough.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Worst gun I ever owned
sent back to colt twice for failure to feed
After that it had an issue with trigger pull, like the grip safety wasn't freeing the trigger.

Love hate relationship. Sold it to a gun smith.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#8]
As I've mentioned a time or two before, the stock Delta is definitely not my favorite 10mm, even though I have four of them.  One I sent off to have built right, and the other three I bought just because they were at the gun shop when I had some disposable income.  The pro is the provenance.  Colt was one of the first in the 10mm game, and it's a Colt.  Otherwise, as everyone else has said, pretty much everybody does it better.  

I have some fancy 10mms, including a long-slide Nighthawk, a Wilson CQB, the aforementioned fully custom Colt, and a factory-custom Dan Wesson.  But quite honestly, I really like my Kimber Eclipse.  And it was cheap.  Carried it for a while and sometimes still do, and I still shoot it fairly frequently.

Anyways, Fancy Delta:

Not Fancy, but Delightful Kimber:

And the 10mm 1911 collection:
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kimber and Ruger.
I've got a Delta, Kimber, Ruger, Glock 20SF in 10mm
Delta bulges brass, the others dont.
I like the Delta anyway.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I had one and ended up selling it. With my handloads it would give the new case a small smile at the bottom.

The chamber isn't full supported.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Ruger is interesting
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Just shooting factory rounds? Sig’s 180grain at 1250fps gets a lot of love. A Delta will eat all the factory stuff no problem. Reloaded brass will bulge the easiest. My dad has a Delta and it’s awesome.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Whatever you do, don't buy an early one.  

I bought one when they first came out, maybe 1987 or so, and to this day, it still holds the record for the worst accuracy of any pistol I have ever owned.  And I've been through a few hundred.
I'm talking 6" groups at 50 feet.  And that was at a time when I could put them into an inch with a nice pistol.

Tony

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]
My sig Tacops is a freaking awesome gun for the money

Only thing I added was a smith and Alexander mag well and a EGW firing pin stop.

Very accurate , and 100 percent reliable

I really love the Nitron finish , I have 1300 rds through it and there is
Hardly any wear on the gun at all.

This is from a guy who owns a Baer and a Wilson CQB

Paid around 1k
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm gonna go a little bit of a different route and suggest that you check out Rock Island.

I don't own one personally but they always seem to get positive reviews, have good customer service,
they do have ramped barrels and they have a good variety of models.

I have a S&W 1006 to cover my 10mm needs but a Rock Island is one I'll take a serious look at when I decide to pick up another 10mm.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Beware that older Deltas are prone to frames cracking with full powered ammo.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Love my RIA super tac double stack 16+1 1911A2, $720 from buds, she's HEAVY though.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might want to look at Sig's 10mm 1911 before you buy. Theirs is a railed model so you can run a light, although it's likely heavier than the traditional DE.

It's price competitively and comes with four 8-rd magazines. User reviews that I've seen have been very positive.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-tacops-full-size.html

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:16:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a DE 10mm when they first came out, in the late 80's. It jammed a lot! I sold the thing and bought a DE Goldcup 10mm. It was like night and day; no malfunctions and is the most accurate semi-auto pistol I've own. I don't know how the new Colts are but if your budget is around $1000, you might look at a Kimber or this Springfield https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/108593/springfield+armory+1911+10mm+ro+elite+operator.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a current production model just before they went to the new beaver tail and rail. It’s an excellent gun and handles reloads that I load for deer hunting just fine. I shoot milk jugs at 50 yards so I’d say it’s plenty accurate for my needs and what I use it for    A lot of the bad press comes from way back when first introduced. They are a solid example of a 10 mm. If you need nuclear power like the loads that smile the brass then you should have went 44 Mag.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe the Delta Gold Cup version was made to tighter specs because mine was my only bowling pin dropper for a long time, won some coin with it too.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Rock Island guns do. My son's Big Rock is a great shooter with 16 rounds of 10mm goodness. I prefer it to his Glock.

Attachment Attached File

They make single stacks too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I have two Rock Island 10mm's, love them both. But for the win, I would shop for a STI Nitro. 1911 single stack that's out of production, sadly. Great accuracy, reliable & very well made.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Colt is at the very bottom of the list for 10mm 1911s IMO.

Underwood makes/made a specifically throttled back load for the Delta. That should tell you something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top