Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 1:54:58 PM EDT
I have a Government Model 1911 45 ACP.  I want to put a Commander Slide and barrel on the frame.  Will this work without mods and does anybody seel the require parts ?  I want to be able to do this without too much trouble.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it can be done without mods.  It will be phenominally ugly, in my opinion, but will be functional.  As far as parts go, there are a multitude of sources, Brownells being the most common.  However, it's not a cheap propostion, and not all slides will drop onto all frames.  You need to take that into consideration.  I was just going to take a pic of my Colt Commander top end on a Colt 1991 botton, and the slide will not go on.  Ill find another combo and post a pic here.

Also, here are the things you would need for a swap.  Commander length slide, Commander length barrel, shorter Commander bushing, shorter Commander guide rod, shorter Commander recoil spring and plug.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You are right.  I thinl it will be a pain in the ass to do.  I will stay with the 5 in barrel.  Than you for your input.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to mention the reason it's ugly.  The dust cover is shorter on a Commander length frame.  You would have the dust cover on your 5" gun overhanging the slide of a Commander length slide. You probably made a good decision.  However, if you could afford to get a new slide and barrel, consider just getting a whole new gun.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top