Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 1:54:58 PM EDT
I have a Government Model 1911 45 ACP. I want to put a Commander Slide and barrel on the frame. Will this work without mods and does anybody seel the require parts ? I want to be able to do this without too much trouble.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:02:00 PM EDT
Yes, it can be done without mods. It will be phenominally ugly, in my opinion, but will be functional. As far as parts go, there are a multitude of sources, Brownells being the most common. However, it's not a cheap propostion, and not all slides will drop onto all frames. You need to take that into consideration. I was just going to take a pic of my Colt Commander top end on a Colt 1991 botton, and the slide will not go on. Ill find another combo and post a pic here.

Also, here are the things you would need for a swap. Commander length slide, Commander length barrel, shorter Commander bushing, shorter Commander guide rod, shorter Commander recoil spring and plug.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:11:41 PM EDT
You are right. I thinl it will be a pain in the ass to do. I will stay with the 5 in barrel. Than you for your input.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:21:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 3:22:02 PM EDT by hobbs5624]
I forgot to mention the reason it's ugly. The dust cover is shorter on a Commander length frame. You would have the dust cover on your 5" gun overhanging the slide of a Commander length slide. You probably made a good decision. However, if you could afford to get a new slide and barrel, consider just getting a whole new gun.
Top Top