Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2003 11:28:37 PM EDT
I have in the past heard a few grips about the cast steel frames on CZ75's (as opposed to forged)

What are your feelings on the cast steel vs forged steel vs alloy frames.

BTW I have a growing intrest for a new handgun, CZ75 or berreta 92, which should it be?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:57:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You know what?  I actually don't know the answer to your question!  (Hangs head in shame)  BTW, I'd go with the CZ for some strange, unknown reason.

Regards,

Your Friendly (yet apparently not as much of an RKI as he thought) Neighborhood CZ Forum Moderator
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:44:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know either.   Interesting question, but if it were forged or cast, it wouldn't really bother me.  

Personally, I'd get the CZ.  But, I'm planning on getting one anyway, so I'm a little biased.  ;)

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I can tell you forged anything is stronger than cast anything.  Forging literally hammers out the impurities and imparts a grain structure like wood to the metal although it's not done with a hammer.  A large press with dies slams a hot billet into the dies to form the shape.  It usually takes a few different dies that progressively mold the billet into the final shape.  So what to think of a cast frame?  I would say the engineers for the manufacture know how much force the frame needs to take and that being cast which is cheaper to manufacture will work plenty good enough.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]
CZ's, I just got 2 and they're terrific.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Hi jstep,
Forged frames are stronger than cast, but I feel cast steel frames are better then aluminum alloy.
I have a CZ75B and consider it to be a well made gun.  Personally, I don't like alloy receivers.  I'll take plastic over alloy.  The plastic receiver guns all have steel inserts where the slide makes contact.  I don't like the idea of steel parts moving against alloy parts.  Which part do you think will eventually win?  That's just my personal preference and opinion.
Coolio
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:35:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Coolio,

Wanna bet in your lifetime it wont matter which lasts longer-it's just your preference, which you're certainly entitled too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#7]
W-W
Oh, you're quite right.  Especially considering that I'm 52.  Some of personal preference is purely emotional, and some of it is part of a winnowing process.  If you haven't got a philosophy it becomes impossible to make any decisions at all.  Particularly when it comes to handguns, because there are just so many of them.  One other thing that led me to buy a CZ is that I'm a 1911 fan.  So I also like to keep some consistancy in the pistol's operation and controls.  I'm also not a big fan of decockers.  There you've got another quirk that's based purely in personal preference.  But, - no alloy and no decockers, now that makes decisions a bit easier for an old guy like me.
Coolio
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
consider that Ruger uses many castings and they are strong as guns get.  i have a CZ 52 and cannot tell if it is cast or not.  don't matter.  the engine in my truck has many cast parts also.  don't matter there either.  

manufacturers of all types are using cast vice forged parts for many things.  modern castings are far superior to, say, an old cast iron stove or large aluminum pot and those were pretty tough without the use of a hammer.  

it may not make things cheaper, but, it may keep the price from going up.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
CZ75B...CZ P01...CZ75D compact...CZ85..etc.
Need I continue?
I own a 75B and think it is one of the best built,most reliable and accurate pistols I've ever owned.

thedr
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Huh? My CZ 75 definitely has a forged frame.  What variant have you been told has a cast frame?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Forged frames ARE stronger (and prettier) than cast frames.  However, modern metallurgical and heat treating techniques have brought cast frames a long way.

The areas of the CZ's frame that receive the most stress (like around the slide stop pin) are made with alot of extra mass, so I wouldn't worry about a CZ EVER wearing out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:18:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, the cast frames on the CZs are quite good.  Metal casting techniques are definately better today than they once were and I wouldn't worry about the CZ frame at all.  One other thing.  Certain frame shapes (such as the 1911) which have a lot of straight lines, lend themselves better to forging techniques than frames with a lot of curves (like the CZ).  The ergonomics (curves) of the CZ frame are one of the things that make this gun preferable for some shooters.  I doubt that it could be manufactured from a forging at anywhere near the same cost as from a casting.
Coolio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top