Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 9:23:03 PM EDT
I do some canoeing in the summer months, and haven't figured out a good way to carry while doing so.

The main problem is the chance of falling in, when the going gets tuff, its easy to turn over. Even if I have a holster with a thumb break, if the canoe turns over, it wouldn't be real hard for that snap to come undone. Do you think a shoulder holster would be better than a belt holster for retention purposes in this situation?

My carry gun is a G19.

Any ideas on this?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:02:50 AM EDT
[#1]
My choice would probably be a close, tight, on-the-belt Kydex holster with a snap and some sort of internal locking system, like the Safariland #0701 or similar. I would think the shoulder rig would get in the way of trying to use your arms in a tip-over.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Camel,
My solution was a fannypack, which is about the only time I use one.  I also made my canoe gun a Taurus 85CH, which is a stainless steel revolver.  

That way in case I spazz on the water, it's easy to deal with from a firearms standpoint.

I don't recommend a shoulder holster for two reasons.  One, the rig will probably foul up your paddle stroke.  Two, if you're wearing a life jacket, good luck trying to accommodate a shoulder holster as well.

Another option would be a thwart bag.  That's basically a fanny pack that straps onto the cross-members normally found just behind the bow but in front of the bow seat, another at the center of the canoe, and then a third just in front of the bow seat.  Normally I keep sun tan lotion, bug spray, camera, etc. in my thwart bag, but you could store a firearm there.  Or just strap your fanny pack to a thwart.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You mean you still dump your canoe? geesh
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My choice would probably be a close, tight, on-the-belt Kydex holster with a snap and some sort of internal locking system, like the Safariland #0701 or similar. I would think the shoulder rig would get in the way of trying to use your arms in a tip-over.

I'll second that thought
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Usually we do at least once. My brother and I canoed 8 hours, over multiple river blocks, got within 200 yards of your landing point, and tipped trying to get around some trees.

I like the fanny pack idea, since I usally wear mesh shorts and no shirt while canoeing. This may be the one case where wearing a fanny pack is acceptable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Kayak.  I use a fanny pack also.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:56:24 AM EDT
[#7]
In the past I have used and worn a vertical shoulder rig for either a 3" SW M13 and a 3" CA Bulldog.  I not remember any problems with paddling, but did with the life jacket (18 years ago).  Recently done some military sea kayaking armed with a Beretta M9 in leg hoster with layard attached.  

You might want to drill a small hole at the bottom of the backstrap (hollow part) for your own layard loop.

De Oppresso Liber
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Then of course there's always the swivel gun mounted on the bow option...
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I've canoed for literaly decades.  Ten years, I canoed the bayous and swamps of the Gulf where you needed your handgun sometimes real fast.  I always packed it on my hip in various nylon holsters with button holder.  In my wet bag, I kept gun oil in case I fell in.

Your gun gets wet, dry it and oil it. That simple.

When a cotton mouth wants in your boat, digging around for your gun is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
try one of the fobus hip holsters
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you considered a military type lanyard? Holster it where you want just keep the cord out of the way.
It works for all sorts of soldier type even crawling through the mud or storming beaches.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#13]
When I go in the canoe I carry my Beretta 92FS in a thumbreak holster.  I keep the holster in the waterproof bag, on top of all the other junk that is crammed in it.  You will still be able to get to your piece quickly.  Remember to tie your waterproof bag to your canoe though.  For sure tie off your beer cooler!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#14]
although it's not the fastest draw.. i keep my gun in the front pocket of my camelback. wears like a backpack and it's thin enough it can be worn under other gear plus the obvious liquid refreshment. i keep a large titanium dive knife fixed to the outside that i can get to really quick and since it's titanium i don't have to worry about it getting corroded by the elements. i wear this same setup for biking and any other outdoor activities.. don't really worry about anyone messing with/stealing a camelback either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top